Bt11 billion to be spent during Loi Krathong festival

webfact

Bt11 billion to be spent during Loi Krathong festival
By English News

13844097837344.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 15 - Nearly 11 billion baht is expected to be circulated during Thailand's Loi Krathong festival, according to the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC)'s Economic and Business Forecasting Center.

Center director Thanawat Polvichai said that spending is forecast at 5.6 per cent higher year-on-year, worth Bt10.87 billion due to rising commodity prices.

He said each Loy Krathong festival-goer is likely to spend an average of Bt1,539. About Bt7 billion will be circulated upcountry, while the rest is being spent in Bangkok and its adjacent provinces.

Dr Thanawat said the the celebrations in provinces this year remain lively, but the atmosphere will be different in the capital due to the economic slowdown, political demonstrations and the mourning period for the late Supreme Patriarch.

The most concerning issue for Thai consumers , Dr Thanawat said, is the rising cost of commodities, adding that economic factors have more impact on consumer spending than politics.

Dr Thanawat said the country's economy will grow between 3.3-3.5 per cent despite the heated political situation during the year-end period, and five per cent for next year as the global economy begins to recover.

He said although the political problems prolong until next year, the economic growth will continue to grow more than five per cent. A change of government, such as the resignation of the prime minister, or political tensions, are being monitored.

It is believed that the Pheu Thai Party will lead the government even if the premier resigns or the House is dissolved and a new general election is held. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-15

I thought TAT cancelled the moon and the festival.

Confusing isn't it with so many versions ?

I was in Korat over the weekend and as of Monday morning the female staff in the hotel were wearing beautiful and very brightly coloured national costumes.

A receptionist said it was part of the hotel's Loy Kratong celebration and when I mentioned the supposed morning period she said quietly that only TV newsreaders were taking it seriously because they had to..

When you read the money that's expected to be spent it's easy to understand why the mourning is highly selective.

• Like 1

Just like everything else chooka. Declare to the public what is perceived as 'socially' responsible, acceptable and the 'right' thing to do - and then ignore such declaration and let everything else take its normal course. Good or bad - up to one's own judgment. But this is 'the way it goes' here.

• Like 1

It kind of makes the 6 million baht sent to the Philipines seem even more paltry.

The Thai contribution to the Philippines was a piddling amount and shameful in so far as it was a week late and Thailand couldn't even offer rice, water, medicine and military support the day after the typhoon and devastation assessment.

• Like 1

Of the 11 billion, 10 billion will be for fireworks to satisfy the stupid drunk % of adults as per norm. same same all other festivals.

I thought 10 Billion was going to the science consultancy owned by Plodprasob as he said he would be able to delay the moon by 2 weeks by using 1000 rocket engines to slow down its travel through space.

Edited by GentlemanJim

Of the 11 billion, 10 billion will be for fireworks to satisfy the stupid drunk % of adults as per norm. same same all other festivals.

I thought 10 Billion was going to the science consultancy owned by Plodsraprob as he said he would be able to delay the moon by 2 weeks by using 1000 rocket engines to slow down its travel through space.

Would be better for him to be on one of the rockets making sure it works.thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Haha... remember last year the whole family and I were making and selling these things you put on the water. Krathooooooong Krup biggrin.png

This is the good side of the festival, brill been there done that. 1 day and enjoy to the full can be brilliant for family and lovers.

The poo side is the alcohol abuse and excessive use of fireworks over a prolonged period.

Haha... remember last year the whole family and I were making and selling these things you put on the water. Krathooooooong Krup biggrin.png

This is the good side of the festival, brill been there done that. 1 day and enjoy to the full can be brilliant for family and lovers.

The poo side is the alcohol abuse and excessive use of fireworks over a prolonged period.

Give me Songkran anyday over this festival.

Give me Songkran anyday over this festival.

OK done, you can have it. I like my Easter egg, and pancakes, Xmas pudding.

Love Songkran, but have it 1 big splash at a week-end ,then finish. super fun--save lives.