Shock,Horror, The great Blackpudding price rise.

worgeordie

After a few months not been available,Yorkies pies ,meat products,

arrived back in Rimping a couple of weeks ago,so once again I was

happy that I could get some decent Blackpudding and Pork pies.

Last week I bought Blackpudding it was 99 Bht for 5 pieces, this

morning Rimping have torn the labels off and affixed there own

with a price of 120 Bht ! so sadly thats another item removed .

from the weekly shopping list,its all about principle,yes I can

afford it ,but wont be buying anymore.

The price of most foods here ,western and Thai seems to have

gotten out of control,and increased profit seems to be the driving

factor,as wages,utility,have not risen that much ,add a decrease

in Corporation tax,

Yes we buy a lot of food in markets,but there have been big

increases there also,Thailand is becoming an expensive place

as far as food goes anyway.how the poor people survive is a

mystery,just on the cost of rice alone.

Yes I have tried SK blackpudding but IMHO not good enough.

Another thing spotted in Rimping @ discount too ! British

restaurant curries ,about 5 kinds only 99 Bht.

regards Worgeordie

Agree, their black pudding is quite good. I have tried others but found them to either be rather grainy or they dont fry well...ie they fall apart to a stodgy mess.

Sometimes hard to find good stuff but at least with this forum we can keep others informed of when we do.

Went to Rimping Meechcok Plaza yesterday for the 1st time....impressive place. They currently have a special on V8 vegetable juice or Cambells Tomato juice.... 2x 340ml cans for 42 baht. Expiry date of Aug 2014 so thats a plesant surprise too.

Cheers

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with what you say about rising food prices..I recently came back to C/M after a year or two on Phuket...the prices there are way out of line,and as you say i also wonder how many Thai families on basic wages manage to get by.

I thought that it was just a Phuket rip off as usual there, but was surprised to see similar pricing here also.

Not as bad as Phuket but definately everything is more and more expensive now,even for the basic Thai necessity foods....is it simply greed or are there other evil forces at work?

I don't know anything about Black Pudding. To me,it is just something that I get with English breakfasts sometimes. However, I do know that Yorkies is the only Black Pudding that I've ever tried that I actually enjoyed. Too bad that it might be pricing itself out of the market.

I have to agree on food prices going up quickly. I mostly eat in cheap Thai places and several of my favorites have raised their prices to almost what you would pay for Thai food in a Western restaurant. I attribute it to the 300 baht minimum wage, but there are probably other factors.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

I absolutely agree with what you say about rising food prices..I recently came back to C/M after a year or two on Phuket...the prices there are way out of line,and as you say i also wonder how many Thai families on basic wages manage to get by.

I thought that it was just a Phuket rip off as usual there, but was surprised to see similar pricing here also.

Not as bad as Phuket but definately everything is more and more expensive now,even for the basic Thai necessity foods....is it simply greed or are there other evil forces at work?

Most don't go to Rimping Store's for a start, they can buy their veggies for 3-5 baht at the local market, rice, some meat from the local market or fish too. They bring it all home in their Toyota 4x4. There's a lot of Thai's that shop at Tesco etc, but if you look in the cart it's not expensive stuff. The other thing, members of the family often combine money, even if they don't live together. I think the people who are finding it expensive here are foreigners who are supporting everyone in the family plus trying to get their fix of western food.

I don't know anything about Black Pudding. To me,it is just something that I get with English breakfasts sometimes. However, I do know that Yorkies is the only Black Pudding that I've ever tried that I actually enjoyed. Too bad that it might be pricing itself out of the market.

I have to agree on food prices going up quickly. I mostly eat in cheap Thai places and several of my favorites have raised their prices to almost what you would pay for Thai food in a Western restaurant. I attribute it to the 300 baht minimum wage, but there are probably other factors.

Has the 300 minimum wage really kicked in for restaurant staff ? I think not for the majority of workers. For some I have spoken to they are still clearing about 150 baht for around 10 hours, plus tips and some tips are snaffled by the owners. 5-10 years ago inflation was negligible but on a recent rip to Bangkok I noticed prices there have gone through the roof ,100 baht coffees are not far away.CM will no doubt follow suit.

With extra alcohol excise having kicked in ,cooking gas up ,milk, a basic requirement, also up 10% the inflation free days are well and truly gone.Day parking at the airport has doubled,private hospital fees are escalating, the list goes on.I just hope the immigration supremos aren't going to suggest our bank deposits need upping to cover the rate of inflationsad.png

Most don't go to Rimping Store's for a start, they can buy their veggies for 3-5 baht at the local market, rice, some meat from the local market or fish too. They bring it all home in their Toyota 4x4. There's a lot of Thai's that shop at Tesco etc, but if you look in the cart it's not expensive stuff. The other thing, members of the family often combine money, even if they don't live together. I think the people who are finding it expensive here are foreigners who are supporting everyone in the family plus trying to get their fix of western food.

There is no way you can get vegetables,at any market for 3-5 bht,its just not possible,rice no matter where you buy it is expensive,even though the Government is stock piling millions of tons!

eggs,fish,pork,chicken,has all increased in price,and that cannot be blamed on the minimum 300 bht wage,as people working in those industries,most likely are Burmese or Cambodians and

will not be getting even the minimum wage.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Whenever anyone ever says it's not about the money, it's the principle, invariably the truth is that it's not about the principle it's about the money. If you really like black pudding then 120 baht for 5 pieces is hardly extravagant, unless you're having it for breakfast, dinner and tea.

As regards to 'the principle' what exactly is the point? If you like the stuff the only one losing out is you because Yorkies sure ain't going out of business soon, and I'm sure that they probably have a good reason for increasing the price. They've been in business long enough to know what they're doing.

I bet that within a week or two you'll buy a pack. To deprive yourself of something you obviously like for the sake of 20 baht is just daft and telling us about it is dafter still. Let us know when you finally see sense.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

What????

Nothing at all to do with Thais shopping/not shopping at Rimping or Tesco,or the B/S in the last para from you;

"I think the people who are finding it expensive here are foreigners who are supporting everyone in the family plus trying to get their fix of western food."

If you cant' see that prices have risen substantially and are creating a huge burden on the average Thai families [as i originally alluded to] you obviously have comprehension problems [iMO]

Whenever anyone ever says it's not about the money, it's the principle, invariably the truth is that it's not about the principle it's about the money. If you really like black pudding then 120 baht for 5 pieces is hardly extravagant, unless you're having it for breakfast, dinner and tea.

As regards to 'the principle' what exactly is the point? If you like the stuff the only one losing out is you because Yorkies sure ain't going out of business soon, and I'm sure that they probably have a good reason for increasing the price. They've been in business long enough to know what they're doing.

I bet that within a week or two you'll buy a pack. To deprive yourself of something you obviously like for the sake of 20 baht is just daft and telling us about it is dafter still. Let us know when you finally see sense.

Some people just don't have principles and you seem to be one of these,so it must

be very hard for you to understand the concept.and i feel sorry for you.

regards Worgeordie

The increase is probably just Rimping....they have a much higher markup than everyone else. At least 30% I hear

Some people just don't have principles and you seem to be one of these,so it must

regards Worgeordie

I have some principles, but not a lot, I find them too heavy to carry around with me.

I'm not sure what your principle is in this case. You obviously like the stuff but since the price has gone up 20 baht you won't buy it! To be not buying it 'on principle' implies that someone is doing something wrong. I would assume that they know their business and are justifiably increasing the price, because assuming otherwise is also assuming that two successful companies don't know what they are doing or are price gouging or something.

Personally, if something goes up in price, I shrug my shoulders, or occasionally raise an eyebrow and decide if it's still worth it. That's the basis on which it ends up in my trolley. Principles don't come into it, just price. What thought process are you going through?

By the way , having principles is not a matter of all or nothing. The principle of denying myself something I really like just because the price has gone up is one I gave up on after I dragged myself out of poverty. I also wouldn't see the need of denying myself one of life's small luxuries for a trivial amount of money if I could well afford it.

As regards for your feeling sorry for me don't, because lacking some principles is sometimes a blessing. A good example of which is that you get to laugh a lot at other people who have principles. They always manage to make themselves look daft somehow.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

regards Worgeordie

I have some principles, but not a lot, I find them too heavy to carry around with me.

I'm not sure what your principle is in this case. You obviously like the stuff but since the price has gone up 20 baht you won't buy it! To be not buying it 'on principle' implies that someone is doing something wrong. I would assume that they know their business and are justifiably increasing the price, because assuming otherwise is also assuming that two successful companies don't know what they are doing or are price gouging or something.

Personally, if something goes up in price, I shrug my shoulders, or occasionally raise an eyebrow and decide if it's still worth it. That's the basis on which it ends up in my trolley. Principles don't come into it, just price. What thought process are you going through?

By the way , having principles is not a matter of all or nothing. The principle of denying myself something I really like just because the price has gone up is one I gave up on after I dragged myself out of poverty. I also wouldn't see the need of denying myself one of life's small luxuries for a trivial amount of money if I could well afford it.

IF the price rise had of been genuine that would not have been a problem for me,

but to tear the original labels off and increase the price with their own label, you

still don't understand it was not about the money ,but the way it was done,now I hope

you understand

take care, regards Worgeordie

IF the price rise had of been genuine that would not have been a problem for me,

but to tear the original labels off and increase the price with their own label, you

still don't understand it was not about the money ,but the way it was done,now I hope

you understand

take care, regards Worgeordie

You say that Rimping took the Yorkies label off and applied their own. At a guess, I would say that the Yorkies label is what they sell it for in their own shop, and that leaving that label on was a mistake by Yorkies or Rimping staff, who add on their profit margin and the cost of refrigerated shipping. It could also have been a mistake by Yorkies staff who inadvertently used the old price. I have used Rimping for more than twenty years and so it's clear that I like and trust them and always give them the benefit of the doubt, whereas you don't.

Since you clearly believe that what they did was wrong or deceitful then, on principle, you should stop using their store, never mind just blacklisting black pudding. Otherwise people will think that you have principles but........

All this talk of Black pudding is almost awakening an old fancy - I haven't had Black pudding for at least 20 years (and me being a Lancashire lad!). I may just pop into Rimping and give it a try. Yorkies is the best in Thailand, right? I'll let you know how it was. Excuse me for being unprincipled.

• Like 1

The price has gone up and you say because of your principles you won't buy it. I wish I had those principles every time the price of beer went up.

Someone else posting without bothering to read what I said.

as you can tell by the heading this was not to be taken so

seriously,but as seems to happen on the Chiang Mai forum,

people get carried away,different views is what a forum is

about,and in the end its best to agree to disagree.life's too

short.

To those that understood what i was trying to say,thank you

regards Worgeordie

I understand what you are saying. maybe you didn't read all my post to get the joke.

The sad fact of the matter is that the only one suffering from your principles is you. Will you post back when you realise that neither Yorkies or Rimping has gone bust and you have bit the bullet and paid more for a product you like.

I have to agree. Prices on food are going up almost on a weekly basis. I don't mean only Western food but staples in the market as well. Rice keeps going up and up. Chicken, pork, fish, etc. are way up over the last few years. Fruit prices have gotten silly. We did learn a thing just recently though. If you go to Muang Mai Market and buy for example 10 kg of papayas (or whatever) it costs the same as say 2 papayas. The problem is that he fruit has to be eaten quickly or it goes bad.

I also don't understand how some Thai families make ends meet each month.

I don't know a thing about black pudding. I remember as a child my grandmother always had it at her house but I don't think I ever tried it. 20 Baht increase for imported food doesn't sound too bad to me. It's the price increases of local food that bothers me.

• Like 1

I have to agree. Prices on food are going up almost on a weekly basis. I don't mean only Western food but staples in the market as well. Rice keeps going up and up. Chicken, pork, fish, etc. are way up over the last few years. Fruit prices have gotten silly. We did learn a thing just recently though. If you go to Muang Mai Market and buy for example 10 kg of papayas (or whatever) it costs the same as say 2 papayas. The problem is that he fruit has to be eaten quickly or it goes bad.

I also don't understand how some Thai families make ends meet each month.

I don't know a thing about black pudding. I remember as a child my grandmother always had it at her house but I don't think I ever tried it. 20 Baht increase for imported food doesn't sound too bad to me. It's the price increases of local food that bothers me.

"I also don't understand how some Thai families make ends meet each month."

Exactly !!..they [the real locals ]are the ones who are really doing it hard..everything basic that they eat is ever increasing in price..many things more than 50% over a few years...bah.gif