Checking air pressure in spare wheel

Daffy D

On my Toyota PickUp the spare wheel is mounted under the back behind the rear axle. This seems to be a popular location for the spare on many vehicles but my problem is that the wheel is mounted with the valve on the up side so impossible to get to to check the pressure without removing the wheel. blink.png

What do people do to check the spare wheel pressure? Is there something I am not aware of, some gadget, perhaps a valve extension that will allow access to the valve without removing the wheel.

I thought of turning the wheel round so the valve is on the down side but that does not seem doable.

Other vehicles I've had the wheel was mounted with the valve facing down and with a bit of crawling it was possible to check the pressure but seems Toyota thought that would be too easy.coffee1.gif

All ideas and useful suggestions welcome.

smile.png

Toyota do an electric kit, it's replacement valves on every tyre with censures with a read out set up in the car tells you the pressure on every tyre at 10 second intervals, not to expensive have had it fitted to my car from new, now 4+ year's old and never a problem. Also give's an audible warning if you have a sudden pressure drop.

Just a thought.

Haven't looked at the spare wheel lifting setup though l have wound it down a couple of times. Just wondering if the wheel can be turned over. I know the wheel probably will not reach the ground as the chain won't be long enough, and so a couple of chocks will have to be carried.

Or order a longer one of these, fit and pass through the wheel......................

post-41816-0-33521400-1384573675_thumb.j

Haha,

people dont check the spare tire air pressure.

Generally speaking the spare is already inflated to its prime pressure from the factory....it will stay that way unless for some reason you have a leak in the tire or use it (running the spare/load).

if anything, you can simply use the tool kit to drop the tire from under the truck without releasing it from its chains/adopter and from there you can check the pressure and if need be/inflate it.

Inflate the tyre to the correct pressure - in fact give it 10% more to allow for lossage.

Keep a solid wooden baton/stick in the truck. Hit the tyre with the stick and get used to the sound/feel of the smack.

Give it a smack occasionally and you'll soon notice any change in the sound/feel indicating loss of pressure.

Truckies all over the world do this - often they'll just give them a kick.

In reality, it would have to get down to less than 20psi before it became an issue anyway. You'll soon spot the difference between 40 and 20 psi.

• Like 2

As I said before I have the Toyota electric set up, when I picked up the car the spare read that it had 40psi in it as asked for, 4.5 year's later it still has 38psi not used so if the tyre is sealed ok you shouldn't have a problem just keep a pressure gauge in the car and adjust as you need.

"fredob43' - I had a look at those kits for monitoring the tire pressures and some do include the spare. I have a pressure gauge and check the tires regularly and anyway if one of the wheels was bit low I would feel it in driving. I am really only interested in the spare.

"transam" - The spare has a basic "get you home" wheel with a very deep well (is that the right word?) so turning it over and using blocks would work to lower it to the ground, but the locating points and locking post not then be long enough to reach through the wheel to hold it back in place

"philipm" - Agree most don't check their spare and in a perfect world there is no reason it should not stay at the preset factory pressure for years. "you can simply use the tool kit to drop the tire from under the truck without releasing it from its chains/adopter and from there you can check the pressure and if need be/inflate it" at my age that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. coffee1.gif

"Gsxrnz" - Thought of the "bashing it with lump of wood" test but not sure how low the pressure would have to be to be noticeable

"VocalNeal" - What if the "aerosol can tire inflator from Tesco" is faulty and does not work? w00t.gif

I realize checking spare wheel pressures is for whimps and REAL motormen don't bother themselves with such trivialities. but if I have a puncture on cold wet windy night in the middle of nowhere I would like to know that my spare is there ready for me.thumbsup.gif

Having done some more Googling seems the the simplest way is to use a valve extension as suggested by "transom" Just got to see if one is available round here.

Thank you all.

wai.gif

Edited for spelling (This spellcheck for IE10 is really weird w00t.gif I makes up words.sad.png )

Edited by Daffy D

Inflate the tyre to the correct pressure - in fact give it 10% more to allow for lossage.

Keep a solid wooden baton/stick in the truck. Hit the tyre with the stick and get used to the sound/feel of the smack.

Give it a smack occasionally and you'll soon notice any change in the sound/feel indicating loss of pressure.

Truckies all over the world do this - often they'll just give them a kick.

In reality, it would have to get down to less than 20psi before it became an issue anyway. You'll soon spot the difference between 40 and 20 psi.

This'd be my suggestion except use a hammer, It's smaller, easy to carry & it has a better bounce back when the tire is inflated versus low or deflated which is just a thud.. If you find it's low don't even mess with it yourself like you would back in civilization, just take it to the nearest tire shop and let them get dirty filling it for you for a few baht.

Edited by WarpSpeed

The topic IS, the OP wants an easy way of checking and topping up his under truck spare wheel..........rolleyes.gif

The only easy way is to fit a flexible valve extension...........coffee1.gif

Though sliding under the truck will be required to do it.

Edited by transam

....it will stay that way unless for some reason you have a leak in the tire or use it (running the spare/load).

Of course it will, what possible other way could a tyre lose air apart from a leak?

'Natural Causes'

A tyre can lose 1 psi/month due to natural causes. Source Michelin UK.

Hence the need to top up the spare occasionally. Personally I put 40 psi in the truck spare, with natural loss it can be usable for a long time. If you then need to use it just check the pressure when you fit it and let air out if too high.

Edited by ThaidDown
  • Like 1

Just hit it with a stick, or what ever you have, jack handle or what ever. it will bounce if there is air, if not, then you can worry about it. A spare is to get you home, not do a round the world trip, so if its a bit low, then just drive slow, get to a station, then do the filling.

Update for anyone still interested.

Decided a flexible valve extension would be the simplest, just thread it through the wheel so it is acceable from underneath.

I remove the spare wheel and put it in the back of the truck so I can be sure of getting the right fitting and length of extention. (How do you get the extention bar to locate into the winding slot without having to put you head right up there to look see?)

So armed with some beautifull print outs and the spare wheel readily accessable in the back of the truck to demonstrate of the kind of valve extention I'm looking for go round all the tyre places and parts shops looking for the valve extention.

Well as you might guess no chance. Most did not know what I was talking about, had never heard of such a thing and why would I want one anyway. Some did try and be helpfull by sugesting possible shops that might have one but the majority were just a waste of time with their long winded question and answer sessions befor "no hab"

OK "Plan B" - buy one online. Trouble with that was for some reason Valve Extensions is not one of the things that companies who normaly ship to Thailand will ship, and the postage of the ones that will ship to Thailand is as much as the cost of the item. sad.png

OK "Plan C" - I pump the spare up to 40psi buy an "aerosol can tire inflator" as back up and occasionaly check the pressure by it by hitting with the wheel brace (lug wrench) - (saves carying a hammer)

Problem solved. I am relaxed and secure in the knowledge that I have a spare that will be ready for use should the need arise

post-35075-0-91594100-1385385571.png post-35075-0-13160100-1385385560.png

Then I read this thread "Warning spare tyre theft"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682663-warning-spare-tyre-theft/

post-35075-0-91779100-1385385695.jpg

Now I know "you can't win em all" but it would be nice to occasionally have a small victory.

post-35075-0-83179500-1385385725.jpg

Did not read the thread yet....but if not mentioned already....use the tyre lever, or wrench or any such heavy solid steel tool...even a solid piece of wood would do.

Hit the tyre with slight force, it will bounce back good and solid if plenty of air in it. Try it on the tyres on the car first to gauge the feel.

At least by doing this regularly you will know it is not flat, then if you need to change it due to a flat tyre, even if it is low, it will get you to a station to then check it.

Have the pressure checked every service, get them to do the dirty work and with the check above you should never be caught flat.

How many have a truck and do not have a spare ? or think they have a spare but it is gone ?

even the so say anti theft locks do not work.. my spare on the truck lives in the garage at home, as did the spare on the truck before, so have not had a spare for 6 years... the truck before that 3 x spare wheels went walk-a-bout in less then 4 years. is cheaper to call out someone to repair, so far in 10 years here and over 1 million KM never had a flat. touch wood..