Gekko Garden

212traders

It is what it is. It's good if your a drunk skank on a budget. However it's also a nice place for a chilled out, good value wholesome meal. Nothing special, but nice enough. I like the beer promotions there and i find the food ok.coffee1.gif

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard somewhere they sold cheese by 100 gram or more pieces but when i went to ask, the waitress didn't know anything about it. anyone know anything about it?

I bought half a kilo of NZ cheddar a couple of weeks ago, it was 225 Baht.

Do you know whether they also sell their roast beef by weight?

I don't know about the roast beef but they sell ham by weight. I'd try it on a Monday and hope the Sunday buffet was quiet and there was plenty of beef left over.

Just called them today. They said they stopped selling meat by weight because they don't have enough to do so.

Quote: Makes no difference if you get the special price or not unless you are a cheap charlie the regular price is a good value.

C'mon now, hellodolly. Ever heard the saying: a nickel saved is a nickel gained, or something like that!

As for the saving, I give it as tips anyway. Wouldn't that be nicer? Actually, I don't really care when I want to get a fast meal. Like many have said here, it's a good place for the money and seems smart to ask apriori with all our well-informed expats here.

My wife and I went to the Holiday Inn the past Friday for the Seafood Buffet in the evening. Btw, it's B550 since April (it was B490 prior). I thought B550 was OK for we had had before. But, this last one was trully awful. The crab was mushy (like previously but edible), but the second one I shared with my wife tasted ammonia. The pawns, though firm, were tasteless. The mussels, though looked fat and juicy, were tasteless...I think it's those frozen mussels from NZ you can buy in Makro. Varieties were way less than before. Then, about the roast pork...that idiot just didn't know how to cut a nice slab of the roast pork. I'm sure the kitchen lacks some capable staff nowadays just from looking at this guy. Well, I don't normally complain, but this guy working with the roast pork like doing a kha moo really got me. Most Thai people don't know how to cut chicken, roast pork, barbecued pork which I understand, but nothing like this guy!

The only good thing came out of this is that we skimmed some of the USD200 off our daughter gave us to have a good meal for her mom's birthday!laugh.png

Edited by muchogra

I myself did not go to Gecko by accident. Thanks to the CM expats who recommended it! I ate there a few times when I stayed at the Imperial and Centara, which is a short walk. It's definitely good value for the money. The portion is also generous and the beer prices are more than reasonable unlike some other places. Just a few days ago, I dropped my wife off at the dentist near Suthep Rd, then I drove up to the end of Suthep Rd and up the hill to this restaurant with the waterfall and some scenery. I was the only one there. Lord and behold, a small Singha was B120 and the large one B180. What the hell, they think it's a karaoke joint or a member club or something?

I think for expats, it's very important to spend some money in places like Gecko to ensure they keep going. They have always tried to keep the prices down and maintain a reasonable quality of food for the price. If people want to go and pay 180 Baht for a large Singha let them if it tastes better, but I think 3 large San Miguels for 179 Baht sounds a much better deal.

This from a non-drinker! I wonder how much your 'early bird special and a can of diet coke' contributes to the financial well being of the Gecko Garden.

If your priorities are are "wonderful tastes", I hope that you like Thai food or travel overseas a lot. There are virtually no restaurants here that offer Western food of that kind of quality consistently. There are a few that are quite decent for the middle of South East Asia, but that is about the extent of it. I am very happy to have them around, because, not long ago, there were none at all. I remember when people used to dream of having a McDonald's in Chiang Mai and a lot of them were people who now complain about all the fast food places.

I agree UG. Having moved to Bangkok and tasted the steak and kidney pie in The Londoner, there's nothing of that standard in CM. The problem is that is costs 320 B + tax. And there simply aren't enough expats in CM who are prepared - or able, to pay those prices. Most want to buy the 'early bird special and coke zero' for 130 baht all in, mentioned by Uptheos and then become instant restaurant critics.

• Like 1

I agree UG. Having moved to Bangkok and tasted the steak and kidney pie in The Londoner, there's nothing of that standard in CM. The problem is that is costs 320 B + tax. And there simply aren't enough expats in CM who are prepared - or able, to pay those prices. Most want to buy the 'early bird special and coke zero' for 130 baht all in, mentioned by Uptheos and then become instant restaurant critics.

I'd like it if we had higher-end options in Chiang Mai and somewhat agree that the expectation of low prices in Chiang Mai makes it hard for such places to get traction in Chiang Mai. But I must admit that I too experience some sticker shock when we go to places selling arguably better quality farang in the Sukhumvit area of BKK. For instance, just the other day my wife and I spent 2200 baht for lunch at Bei Otto. Admittedly it was good, and admittedly if was an unusually heavy lunch, but it was just standard German fare and probably not really any better than the stuff that Gipsy was selling in CM for a third of the price before his health forced him to shut down.

Edited by AngelsLariat

I can understand why people do not want to pay $12 U.S. for a meatpie more than very occasionally. It would be half that price back home in expensive San Francisco for a very good one. It is not suprising that people do not want to may more for Western food than they would back home when the quality is not as good.

I'd like it if we had higher-end options in Chiang Mai and somewhat agree that the expectation of low prices in Chiang Mai makes it hard for such places to get traction in Chiang Mai. But I must admit that I too experience some sticker shock when we go to places selling arguably better quality farang in the Sukhumvit area of BKK. For instance, just the other day my wife and I spent 2200 baht for lunch at Bei Otto. Admittedly it was good, and admittedly if was an unusually heavy lunch, but it was just standard German fare and probably not really any better than the stuff that Gipsy was selling in CM for a third of the price before his health forced him to shut down.

I, for one, would support "higher-end" restaurant options in Chiang Mai - restaurants that approach those "wonderful tastes" I pursue (in vain) in local restaurants as a Chiang Mai expat. At the same time, I can understand those expats who enjoy Western food over Thai food must be frugal with their money in such local restaurants.

I, for one, would support "higher-end" restaurant options in Chiang Mai - restaurants that approach those "wonderful tastes" I pursue (in vain) in local restaurants as a Chiang Mai expat. At the same time, I can understand those expats who enjoy Western food over Thai food must be frugal with their money in such local restaurants.

If demonstrably better quality came along with the higher prices I'd support it too, though we might not eat as many meals out. The problem though is that price is often more correlated to the price of rent than to to the quality of the food. Just by virtue of there being so many more restaurants in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai, the best of the best farang food might be better there. But for the most part the farang food in Bangkok is just more expensive.

• Like 1

I myself did not go to Gecko by accident. Thanks to the CM expats who recommended it! I ate there a few times when I stayed at the Imperial and Centara, which is a short walk. It's definitely good value for the money. The portion is also generous and the beer prices are more than reasonable unlike some other places. Just a few days ago, I dropped my wife off at the dentist near Suthep Rd, then I drove up to the end of Suthep Rd and up the hill to this restaurant with the waterfall and some scenery. I was the only one there. Lord and behold, a small Singha was B120 and the large one B180. What the hell, they think it's a karaoke joint or a member club or something?

I think for expats, it's very important to spend some money in places like Gecko to ensure they keep going. They have always tried to keep the prices down and maintain a reasonable quality of food for the price. If people want to go and pay 180 Baht for a large Singha let them if it tastes better, but I think 3 large San Miguels for 179 Baht sounds a much better deal.

This from a non-drinker! I wonder how much your 'early bird special and a can of diet coke' contributes to the financial well being of the Gecko Garden.

If your priorities are are "wonderful tastes", I hope that you like Thai food or travel overseas a lot. There are virtually no restaurants here that offer Western food of that kind of quality consistently. There are a few that are quite decent for the middle of South East Asia, but that is about the extent of it. I am very happy to have them around, because, not long ago, there were none at all. I remember when people used to dream of having a McDonald's in Chiang Mai and a lot of them were people who now complain about all the fast food places.

Don't know mate, but it's still going strong unlike a lot of other places.smile.png

• Like 2

Don't know mate, but it's still going strong unlike a lot of other places.smile.png

That's funny in a way, but not very nice.

It's simply a truism, nothing more.

Palaat DtaWanRon is a very upmarket place, hardly surprising it is expensive.

(Same a Galair and Huan Huay Keow)

Edited by FiftyTwo

Stopped going here after several times not getting small change returned after paying the bill.

The international buffett on sunday was quite bad, give it a miss.

I had the same problem with small change not being returned. That changed me from a fairly frequent customer to a rare customer. I suppose the proper thing to do is to talk to the boss but most people don't want to make a big issue out of a few baht. At the same time most people don't like other people deciding whether a tip is left or not.

I disagree about the Sunday buffet. I think it is still quite good for the price of 200 Baht. It is quite amazing that the price hasn't gone up in a long time. The price of every other buffet that I know about gets increased on a regular basis.

Stopped going here after several times not getting small change returned after paying the bill.

I had the same problem with small change not being returned. That changed me from a fairly frequent customer to a rare customer. I suppose the proper thing to do is to talk to the boss but most people don't want to make a big issue out of a few baht. At the same time most people don't like other people deciding whether a tip is left or not.

I disagree about the Sunday buffet. I think it is still quite good for the price of 200 Baht. It is quite amazing that the price hasn't gone up in a long time. The price of every other buffet that I know about gets increased on a regular basis.

What do you actually mean by the small change not being returned?

They always return the change in one of those folder things.

I've been the brunt of the change trick there, numerous times. Like you say, i'm one who doesn't want to make an issue of it and it doesn't bother me but it is rude and it doesn't go un-noticed...

Is there anywhere else in town with a similar set up as gecko, deals etc?.. Anyone recommend some place similar?

Is there anywhere else in town with a similar set up as gecko, deals etc?.. Anyone recommend some place similar?

Rider's Corner is similar in terms of food and pricing and comfortable seating, though it doesn't attract even half as many customers and might not have an Early Bird Special.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

Rider's Corner is similar in terms of food and pricing and comfortable seating, though it doesn't attract even half as many cutomers and might not have an Early Bird Special.

Riders Corner has an extensive western & Thai menu and the food is pretty good.

Will someone please explain about the small change not being returned at Gecko.

Edited by uptheos

You give the waitress 150 Baht for a 135 Baht bill. She disappears with the money and you don't see her again. After waiting 5 or 10 minutes you decide it is not worth making a fuss about and leave but you don't forget. This has only happened to me in the day time when it is not at all busy and the waitress is able to make herself scarce for some time because there are few other customers to serve.

You give the waitress 150 Baht for a 135 Baht bill. She disappears with the money and you don't see her again. After waiting 5 or 10 minutes you decide it is not worth making a fuss about and leave but you don't forget. This has only happened to me in the day time when it is not at all busy and the waitress is able to make herself scarce for some time because there are few other customers to serve.

That has never happened to me there.

If it did, I wouldn't 'make a fuss', I'd simply call her over and say can I have my change please.

I don't quite see the point of letting this sort of thing fester inside.

• Like 1

Yeah like that, or she just simply doesn't give any change. You have to ask for your change or you don't get it. I've never been in the daytime but it happens in the evenings also...

Yeah like that, or she just simply doesn't give any change. You have to ask for your change or you don't get it. I've never been in the daytime but it happens in the evenings also...

Funny how the topic has never sprung up before today, people are usually quick to post that sort of thing.

I guess that's the way some people deal with things, by not dealing with them. Passive aggression comes to mind.

Edited by uptheos

Funny how the topic has never sprung up before today, people are usually quick to post that sort of thing.

Never really thought about it. It's one of those silly little things. I thought it was something that only happened once in a while but reading this, it now seems to be more of a scam!

Never really thought about it. It's one of those silly little things. I thought it was something that only happened once in a while but reading this, it now seems to be more of a scam!

Well it's a good job it was brought up, now people can be aware and ask for their change.

You said previously, "I've been the brunt of the change trick there, numerous times"..........I'm surprised that anyone who lives here, would allow themselves to be tricked numerous times, especially in the same place!

Edited by uptheos

Well it's a good job it was brought up, now people can be aware and ask for their change.

You said previously, "I've been the brunt of the change trick there, numerous times"..........I'm surprised that anyone who lives here, would allow themselves to be tricked numerous times, especially in the same place!

I just wouldn't want to embarress myself by asking for ฿14 change or whatever it is. Especially after i've just spent ฿800 on food and drinks. I understand your point but i would give it to them as a tip anyway so never really bothered thinking about it. Does that surprise you?coffee1.gif

At least you had the choice: Bei Otto in Chiang Mai closed after less than a year! Cheap and cheerful - that what Chiang Mai expats want.

At least you had the choice: Bei Otto in Chiang Mai closed after less than a year! Cheap and cheerful - that what Chiang Mai expats want.

I didn't know that Bei Ottto had a branch in Chiang Mai.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Don't know mate, but it's still going strong unlike a lot of other places.xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

It's simply a truism, nothing more.

Thanks for your concern AngelsLariat, but uptheos and I have a long history of generally good natured animosity due to the fact that he supports Leyton Orient - I have a pop at his super-economy lifestyle, he points out that my business failed. It just the way we are. By the by, I'm now working in Bangkok with a regular wage and will be back in Chiang Mai for Christmas and New Year without having to prepare 150 Christmas Dinners, Boxing Day cold cuts, New Years Party and the like, Any good ideas for Christmas Dinner? I havent seen many adverts yet!!

I just wouldn't want to embarress myself by asking for ฿14 change or whatever it is. Especially after i've just spent ฿800 on food and drinks. I understand your point but i would give it to them as a tip anyway so never really bothered thinking about it. Does that surprise you?coffee1.gif

what it is. It's good if your a drunk skank on a budget. However it's also a nice place for a chilled out, good value wholesome meal. Nothing special, but nice enough. I like the beer promotions there and i find the food ok.coffee1.gif

You asked me if I am surprised....a little, are you sober right now? biggrin.png

Edited by uptheos