Gekko Garden

212traders

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always good value at Gecko.

You can have ANY of their daily specials listed before 4pm, regardless of the day.

Yesterday I had Spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread 95 baht and a Coke Zero 20 baht, very good value.

They also have an extensive Thai menu and if you're into beer (which I'm not) I did see 3 large San Miguels for 179 Baht, dunno the prices of other beers.

Edited by uptheos

Yes Gecko Garden takes the prize IMHO for value for the Baht in a pub restaurant setting in Chiangmai.

Celebrated a friends going away (for 6 months) back in May. 6 large Chiang's, the special to eat and a big shot tip (I was feeling the affects of the 6 large Chiangs) for 500 baht.

It's not a dump or a slop house either IMHO.

The foods good value for money but the place could do with brightening up a bit thumbsup.gif

Yes the food is a good value. Took the family there the other night to celebrate a granddaughter's tenth birthday. We all enjoyed are meal and I felt very comfortable with the whole place. Was nice looking through the bushes in the twilight and still be invisible to out siders. Was nice to be able to read the menu with out having to have a candle handy.

We all enjoyed the ice cream and they even played happy birthday over the stereo system. For the price the Hamburgers are fantastic. They are the daily special one day, Not going to tell you go find out for your self. Don't be looking for a great hamburger because of all the stuff they put on it. The hamburger itself is great. I put a little mustard and Mayo on mine. Also I order the cheese burger.

Hope they don't brighten it up. I can read the menu fine with out more light.

The foods good value for money but the place could do with brightening up a bit thumbsup.gif

Yes the food is a good value. Took the family there the other night to celebrate a granddaughter's tenth birthday. We all enjoyed are meal and I felt very comfortable with the whole place. Was nice looking through the bushes in the twilight and still be invisible to out siders. Was nice to be able to read the menu with out having to have a candle handy.

We all enjoyed the ice cream and they even played happy birthday over the stereo system. For the price the Hamburgers are fantastic. They are the daily special one day, Not going to tell you go find out for your self. Don't be looking for a great hamburger because of all the stuff they put on it. The hamburger itself is great. I put a little mustard and Mayo on mine. Also I order the cheese burger.

Hope they don't brighten it up. I can read the menu fine with out more light.

The hamburger specials are on Tuesday, BUT if you go before 4pm you can have any special on any day. You can even get the hamburger and other specials on Sunday before 4pm if you want it.

I have to admire Rudi for keeping his canned drinks like Coke Light at 20 baht for ages now.

Edited by uptheos

I myself did not go to Gecko by accident. Thanks to the CM expats who recommended it! I ate there a few times when I stayed at the Imperial and Centara, which is a short walk. It's definitely good value for the money. The portion is also generous and the beer prices are more than reasonable unlike some other places. Just a few days ago, I dropped my wife off at the dentist near Suthep Rd, then I drove up to the end of Suthep Rd and up the hill to this restaurant with the waterfall and some scenery. I was the only one there. Lord and behold, a small Singha was B120 and the large one B180. What the hell, they think it's a karaoke joint or a member club or something?

You can have ANY of their daily specials listed before 4pm, regardless of the day.

Yesterday I had Spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread 95 baht and a Coke Zero 20 baht, very good value.

They also have an extensive Thai menu and if you're into beer (which I'm not) I did see 3 large San Miguels for 179 Baht, dunno the prices of other beers.

Are they at the special prices or at regular prices? Thanks!

Are they at the special prices or at regular prices? Thanks!

If before 4pm they are at the special prices.

Thanks, uptheos. I tried fish and chips, spaghetti, and one more item which I cannot recall now. The fish and chips was not the best, but it sure worth the money. All hearty meals for me there, I say! Now, only if they have some nice looking waitresses, that would really brighten up the place. Certinly hope that won't jack up the prices!giggle.gif

Have ate there quite a few times after dropping in at Panthip Plaza or Surriwong Bookshop and always had a good meal without fail. Had a work gig overseas for a few months and have not been in for a while . As I recall it was up for sale by the owner (Rudi?) but did not see much movement. Rudi was also helpful in directing me to a good seamstress for work clothes smile.png

ps full agreement with Ulysses....good quantity and pricing, the food is ok....but what you get for what you pay is a bargain as well as a reasonable variety in one joint.

Edited by mamborobert

Gekko Garden is more about price than gourmet food, but the food is quite decent, the portions are large and the price is right.

Agreed and you don't have to get the special of the day price. The prices are all decent with out the special of the day price. Also as has been mentioned it has a very good selection of Thai food.

As for the waitresses I have never had a problem with getting my order. In fact I was doing my best one night and the waitress told me in perfect English . If all else fails just point to the item you want.

I think Rudie was spending some time in the Philippines and possibly thinking of moving there. Just a rumor.

Edited by Rooo
Dicretion

Thanks, uptheos. I tried fish and chips, spaghetti, and one more item which I cannot recall now. The fish and chips was not the best, but it sure worth the money. All hearty meals for me there, I say! Now, only if they have some nice looking waitresses, that would really brighten up the place. Certinly hope that won't jack up the prices!giggle.gif

I have to honest and say, I wish they would reduce the batter on the fish.

Four of us ate there several months ago, we all had different mains and all were well below average for the price and one almost inedible. We had a quiet chat with the owner who, quite frankly, didn't give a toss - seems like he makes enough from one off visitors so not interested in repeat business. We would certainly not go back under the present management.

Gekko Garden is more about price than gourmet food, but the food is quite decent, the portions are large and the price is right.

I see a common theme in this restaurant review (and many other restaurant reviews on this forum):

the food is "decent" or "okay" or "nothing special," but the portions are generous and the price is "reasonable" (read "cheap").

others say "hey, you get what you pay for" or "I don't know what kind of fish is used, but it's not expensive!" etc., etc.

I can only conclude that these reviewers are extremely cost-conscious and not too interested at all with the taste/quality of the food.

My own priorities are wonderful tastes and pleasant surroundings, rather than large portions of "okay" food at low prices.

The reviews of Gecko Garden (above) do not impress me, but may appeal to others . . .

• Like 1

Ive been there twice and never had any problem with the place. Attentive staff, good food and nice environment. Nicely tucked away from the mad rush of city life. A great spot for a break.

I also like the Down-Under pub at the river end of Loy Kroh.

Both places have cold beers at reasonable prices albeit different settings/surroundings.

Each to their own huh wai.gif