Gekko Garden

212traders

Ive been there twice and never had any problem with the place. Attentive staff, good food and nice environment. Nicely tucked away from the mad rush of city life. A great spot for a break.

I also like the Down-Under pub at the river end of Loy Kroh.

Both places have cold beers at reasonable prices albeit different settings/surroundings.

Each to their own huh wai.gif

Mad rush of city life in CM.....where...when?

You must come from a very quite place....

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gekko Garden is more about price than gourmet food, but the food is quite decent, the portions are large and the price is right.

Agreed and you don't have to get the special of the day price. The prices are all decent with out the special of the day price. Also as has been mentioned it has a very good selection of Thai food.

As for the waitresses I have never had a problem with getting my order. In fact I was doing my best one night and the waitress told me in perfect English . If all else fails just point to the item you want.

I think Rudie was spending some time in the Philippines and possibly thinking of moving there. Just a rumor.

But it's much better to go there early enough to cash in on the early bird specials, as that way you get to socialize with delightful people who moved to Chiang Mai for such things.

Gekko Garden is more about price than gourmet food, but the food is quite decent, the portions are large and the price is right.

Agreed and you don't have to get the special of the day price. The prices are all decent with out the special of the day price. Also as has been mentioned it has a very good selection of Thai food.

As for the waitresses I have never had a problem with getting my order. In fact I was doing my best one night and the waitress told me in perfect English . If all else fails just point to the item you want.

I think Rudie was spending some time in the Philippines and possibly thinking of moving there. Just a rumor.

But it's much better to go there early enough to cash in on the early bird specials, as that way you get to socialize with delightful people who moved to Chiang Mai for such things.

cheesy.gif Never been in there before 4, what are they like? Turn up on their saleng, wearing beer Chang wife beaters, sitting next to but ignoring their dark skinned isaan ex bar girl/happy massage girl. And are they drinking Archer at 3 bottles for ฿100 or whatever the current rate is for cheap strong lager? Sounds like a punter from Mad dog...

cheesy.gif Never been in there before 4, what are they like? Turn up on their saleng, wearing beer Chang wife beaters, sitting next to but ignoring their dark skinned isaan ex bar girl/happy massage girl. And are they drinking Archer at 3 bottles for ฿100 or whatever the current rate is for cheap strong lager? Sounds like a punter from Mad dog...

You're close but it's not quite that stereotypical. It's pretty much the same demographic as that of Mad Dog's daytime customers except that they seem to drink less beer.

I see a common theme in this restaurant review (and many other restaurant reviews on this forum):

the food is "decent" or "okay" or "nothing special," but the portions are generous and the price is "reasonable" (read "cheap").

others say "hey, you get what you pay for" or "I don't know what kind of fish is used, but it's not expensive!" etc., etc.

I can only conclude that these reviewers are extremely cost-conscious and not too interested at all with the taste/quality of the food.

My own priorities are wonderful tastes and pleasant surroundings, rather than large portions of "okay" food at low prices.

The reviews of Gecko Garden (above) do not impress me, but may appeal to others . . .

I can only speak for myself I enjoy the surroundings they remind me I am in Thailand. As for their taste well I do not have super sensitive (fussy) taste buds so I do not worry about that. I enjoy a club sandwich and they are the best I have found. To be honest it is a case of I like it or I don't like it with a different degree for each. For instance I like Beef but can not stand liver, heart, tongue and am not going to try brains, I like a flank steak better than a T Bone from the same cow.

As I have said in my opinion it is value for the money. I am not a cheap charlie and am not going in to have the daily special if I would rather have some thing else for instance if the boss salad is the special of the day I will order the chef's salad. I was in on the Wednesday night when the boss salad was the special I ordered the spaghetti and the meatballs.

If it is high quality food I am interested in I will go to Dukes or the River Market. Dave says your taste buds might not notice it but your body will. I know for a fact that he buys better quality products than others do.

Well I shouldn't say all others do, but definatly the ones where all the cheap charlies eat at. Of course I then pay more money. Also he uses clean facilities for cooking it. go into a kitchen some places and you may never go back.

For all around Geikos is a great place when you take price the regular one and quantity into consideration. If you get the special it is even a better price. As I said I feel more like I am eating in Thailand when I eat there. I guess I could eat off the street venders and I occasional do and really feel like I was eating in Thailand. Used to be a street vender at 10:00 or there a bouts on a motor bike with his grill attached at the night Bazaar haven't seen him for a while had a great burger at the price.

• Like 1

I see a common theme in this restaurant review (and many other restaurant reviews on this forum):

the food is "decent" or "okay" or "nothing special," but the portions are generous and the price is "reasonable" (read "cheap").

others say "hey, you get what you pay for" or "I don't know what kind of fish is used, but it's not expensive!" etc., etc.

I can only conclude that these reviewers are extremely cost-conscious and not too interested at all with the taste/quality of the food.

My own priorities are wonderful tastes and pleasant surroundings, rather than large portions of "okay" food at low prices.

The reviews of Gecko Garden (above) do not impress me, but may appeal to others . . .

I can only speak for myself I enjoy the surroundings they remind me I am in Thailand. As for their taste well I do not have super sensitive (fussy) taste buds so I do not worry about that. I enjoy a club sandwich and they are the best I have found. To be honest it is a case of I like it or I don't like it with a different degree for each. For instance I like Beef but can not stand liver, heart, tongue and am not going to try brains, I like a flank steak better than a T Bone from the same cow.

As I have said in my opinion it is value for the money. I am not a cheap charlie and am not going in to have the daily special if I would rather have some thing else for instance if the boss salad is the special of the day I will order the chef's salad. I was in on the Wednesday night when the boss salad was the special I ordered the spaghetti and the meatballs.

If it is high quality food I am interested in I will go to Dukes or the River Market. Dave says your taste buds might not notice it but your body will. I know for a fact that he buys better quality products than others do.

Well I shouldn't say all others do, but definatly the ones where all the cheap charlies eat at. Of course I then pay more money. Also he uses clean facilities for cooking it. go into a kitchen some places and you may never go back.

For all around Geikos is a great place when you take price the regular one and quantity into consideration. If you get the special it is even a better price. As I said I feel more like I am eating in Thailand when I eat there. I guess I could eat off the street venders and I occasional do and really feel like I was eating in Thailand. Used to be a street vender at 10:00 or there a bouts on a motor bike with his grill attached at the night Bazaar haven't seen him for a while had a great burger at the price.

The slogan "your taste buds might not notice it but your body will" might be a good slogan for a vegetarian restaurant but isn't so compelling at a restaurant where the owner looks like he's one cheeseburger away from a heart attack.

• Like 2

Thanks, uptheos. I tried fish and chips, spaghetti, and one more item which I cannot recall now. The fish and chips was not the best, but it sure worth the money. All hearty meals for me there, I say! Now, only if they have some nice looking waitresses, that would really brighten up the place. Certinly hope that won't jack up the prices!giggle.gif

I have to honest and say, I wish they would reduce the batter on the fish.

Uptheos, be careful what you wish for - the batter helps disguise the small Pangasius Dory Mekong catfish within! Try to stay focused on the bargain: "hearty" portions, "worth the money" prices, etc. If the fish and chips were "not the best," perhaps the beer was nice and cold or the portion of chips/fries was generous. Stay positive, my friend!

• Like 1

Thanks, uptheos. I tried fish and chips, spaghetti, and one more item which I cannot recall now. The fish and chips was not the best, but it sure worth the money. All hearty meals for me there, I say! Now, only if they have some nice looking waitresses, that would really brighten up the place. Certinly hope that won't jack up the prices!giggle.gif

I have to honest and say, I wish they would reduce the batter on the fish.

Uptheos, be careful what you wish for - the batter helps disguise the small Pangasius Dory Mekong catfish within! Try to stay focused on the bargain: "hearty" portions, "worth the money" prices, etc. If the fish and chips were "not the best," perhaps the beer was nice and cold or the portion of chips/fries was generous. Stay positive, my friend!

And there was I thinking it was prime North Sea Haddock. biggrin.png

IMHO, the best fish & chips in Chiang Mai would have to be Haddock or Atlantic Cod. Atlantic Cod (frozen fillets) is available at Rimping Supermarkets.

Rumor is that Rob at Sausage King in San Sai has had Cod Fish & Chips on the menu in the recent past. Has anyone tried it?

I'm not interested in the price, but I am ready to order for lunch!

IMHO, the best fish & chips in Chiang Mai would have to be Haddock or Atlantic Cod. Atlantic Cod (frozen fillets) is available at Rimping Supermarkets.

Rumor is that Rob at Sausage King in San Sai has had Cod Fish & Chips on the menu in the recent past. Has anyone tried it?

I don't mind paying for a nice piece of Haddock or Cod, but I don't want to cook it and Sansai is too far out for me.

I miss the fish and chips with cod at The Laughing Leprechaun and The Rose Guest House when the Gypsy owned it, but they are both long gone.

For what it is worth, I prefer Gecko Garden's burgers (because they are cooked over an open flame) and spaghetti to the Duke's even though, IMO, the Duke's is a much better restaurant.

I really loved the spaghetti at the Sunshine restaurant, but that closed recently too.

The fish is bad.

The burger is good.

The chilli is good but too small.

Beer is cheap, so the place is full of all day drunks.

Not to mention it's beside the smelly klong.

Nothing like Mad Dog, everything at Mad Dog is served with a surly look and a bucket of grease.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Good one. Moved to Chiang Mai to seek out Cheap Charlies.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Dinner at 3:30 bed at 8:00 clap2.gif

• Like 1

I don't mind paying for a nice piece of Haddock or Cod, but I don't want to cook it and Sansai is too far out for me.

I think from the wording of the rumor that it is not there now. Or Rob has been known to have certain dishes only one day of the week. Why don't you drive out there and sheck it out. If it is not there I have always been told all his food is good.

The fish is bad.

The burger is good.

The chilli is good but too small.

Beer is cheap, so the place is full of all day drunks.

Not to mention it's beside the smelly klong.

Nothing like Mad Dog, everything at Mad Dog is served with a surly look and a bucket of grease.

Well I( have been into Mad Dog's several times for breakfast. Not my favorite but still a good meal,

I was wondering how many times you had been in there to have tried every thing on the menu.

If I recall there was quite a few things on it.

Did you get a bucket of grease with your beer?facepalm.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Good one. Moved to Chiang Mai to seek out Cheap Charlies.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Dinner at 3:30 bed at 8:00 clap2.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif This is not a double post I really really liked it.giggle.gif Maybe bed at 7:30 pricelessclap2.gif

I think from the wording of the rumor that it is not there now. Or Rob has been known to have certain dishes only one day of the week. Why don't you drive out there and sheck it out. If it is not there I have always been told all his food is good.

I did say Sansai is too far for me and anyway I don't believe in driving miles for food,

I'm not desperate for any particular meal and if I fancy F&C I'll just go to Gecko or UN Irish Pub.

Amazing anti comments on Gekko and Mad Dogs. They both have been in business for over 7 years, very little if any formal advertising while other venues have come and gone. They both have to be doing something correct.

Those places have their niche, no question about that.

• Like 1

I ve ate at the Geko several times always had a great meal . Service is always good . I dont care about the specials I just want good food . Never been disapointed . Sausage Kings good as well can say the same , as well as The Dukes Riverside . The Hideaway is also good. You can but about any type of cheese you like there ... Mad Dogs is ok too I just prefer these three ....

Edited by BB1955

i heard somewhere they sold cheese by 100 gram or more pieces but when i went to ask, the waitress didn't know anything about it. anyone know anything about it?

I bought half a kilo of NZ cheddar a couple of weeks ago, it was 225 Baht.

Do you know whether they also sell their roast beef by weight?

I did say Sansai is too far for me and anyway I don't believe in driving miles for food,

I'm not desperate for any particular meal and if I fancy F&C I'll just go to Gecko or UN Irish Pub.

You're right, of course, that the drive out to Rob's Sausage King Garden is a hassle for many of us, and the Gecko Garden and UN Irish Pub are much more convenient. Furthermore, if you just need a platter of food, any food, you should go to nearest restaurant.

The other day, I drove out to Sausage King (San Sai), hoping to get a Codfish & Chips. Alas, it is no longer on the menu and, according to the cute hilltribe staff girls, there is no plan to put it back on the menu. Guess it was too expensive for Rob's clientele.

The UN Irish Pub's fish & chips uses the "Dory" fish (Mekong Catfish) - not firm, not flakey, rather mushy. But filling!

i heard somewhere they sold cheese by 100 gram or more pieces but when i went to ask, the waitress didn't know anything about it. anyone know anything about it?

I don't know about the roast beef but they sell ham by weight. I'd try it on a Monday and hope the Sunday buffet was quiet and there was plenty of beef left over.

I don't know about the roast beef but they sell ham by weight. I'd try it on a Monday and hope the Sunday buffet was quiet and there was plenty of beef left over.

Anyone has their phone number?

Wow!

This thread really has legs.

Someone else mentioned this but I also have to comment…. I like the atmosphere at Gecko Garden it reminds me of the old beach bars in Thailand when I first came here.

I'm comfortable at Gecko, plain and simple. The fact that I enjoy the food and their prices are so reasonable just makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

Always good value at Gecko.

You can have ANY of their daily specials listed before 4pm, regardless of the day.

Yesterday I had Spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread 95 baht and a Coke Zero 20 baht, very good value.

They also have an extensive Thai menu and if you're into beer (which I'm not) I did see 3 large San Miguels for 179 Baht, dunno the prices of other beers.

Are they at the special prices or at regular prices? Thanks!

If before 4pm they are at the special prices.

Before 4 pm, well that rules out all evening meals.

You can have ANY of their daily specials listed before 4pm, regardless of the day.

Yesterday I had Spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread 95 baht and a Coke Zero 20 baht, very good value.

They also have an extensive Thai menu and if you're into beer (which I'm not) I did see 3 large San Miguels for 179 Baht, dunno the prices of other beers.

Are they at the special prices or at regular prices? Thanks!

no, you just have to go on the correct day to get the special price after 4pm.

no, you just have to go on the correct day to get the special price after 4pm.

Makes no difference if you get the special price or not unless you are a cheap charlie the regular price is a good value.

• Like 2