Gekko Garden

212traders

You said previously, "I've been the brunt of the change trick there, numerous times"..........I'm surprised that anyone who lives here, would allow themselves to be tricked numerous times, especially in the same place!

I just wouldn't want to embarress myself by asking for ฿14 change or whatever it is. Especially after i've just spent ฿800 on food and drinks. I understand your point but i would give it to them as a tip anyway so never really bothered thinking about it. Does that surprise you?coffee1.gif

what it is. It's good if your a drunk skank on a budget. However it's also a nice place for a chilled out, good value wholesome meal. Nothing special, but nice enough. I like the beer promotions there and i find the food ok.coffee1.gif

You asked me if I am surprised....a little, are you sober right now? biggrin.png

Yes although tired, nearly finished work and tomorrow is my day off so maybe i won't be in a couple of hours. How come?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will someone please explain about the small change not being returned at Gecko.

You give the waitress 150 Baht for a 135 Baht bill. She disappears with the money and you don't see her again. After waiting 5 or 10 minutes you decide it is not worth making a fuss about and leave but you don't forget. This has only happened to me in the day time when it is not at all busy and the waitress is able to make herself scarce for some time because there are few other customers to serve.

Yeah like that, or she just simply doesn't give any change. You have to ask for your change or you don't get it. I've never been in the daytime but it happens in the evenings also...

Funny how the topic has never sprung up before today, people are usually quick to post that sort of thing.

I guess that's the way some people deal with things, by not dealing with them. Passive aggression comes to mind.

The reason I used to go to Gekko Garden frequently was that I really enjoyed the spaghetti with meatballs. Around the time I was left waiting for my change I noticed that I could buy a huge bag of tomatoes for 60 Baht in the main Chiang Mai market. A kilo of pork from the supermarket and a few spices and I was able to make my own spaghetti with meatballs and for around 200 Baht I was able to make 4 to 5 servings. To my biased taste my spaghetti with meatballs was more delicious and had the added benefit that when my two step daughters came to visit I had a quick meal in the freezer for them which they declared as "aroi mahk"

I don't know if my reaction falls under "passive aggression". However, if I hadn't been short changed I probably wouldn't have bothered trying to make my own. As it turned out, being short changed was a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

The reason I used to go to Gekko Garden frequently was that I really enjoyed the spaghetti with meatballs. Around the time I was left waiting for my change I noticed that I could buy a huge bag of tomatoes for 60 Baht in the main Chiang Mai market. A kilo of pork from the supermarket and a few spices and I was able to make my own spaghetti with meatballs and for around 200 Baht I was able to make 4 to 5 servings. To my biased taste my spaghetti with meatballs was more delicious and had the added benefit that when my two step daughters came to visit I had a quick meal in the freezer for them which they declared as "aroi mahk"

I don't know if my reaction falls under "passive aggression". However, if I hadn't been short changed I probably wouldn't have bothered trying to make my own. As it turned out, being short changed was a blessing in disguise.

Can't beat home made spaghetti and meatballs. thumbsup.gif

Don't know mate, but it's still going strong unlike a lot of other places.xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

That's funny in a way, but not very nice.

It's simply a truism, nothing more.

Thanks for your concern AngelsLariat, but uptheos and I have a long history of generally good natured animosity due to the fact that he supports Leyton Orient - I have a pop at his super-economy lifestyle, he points out that my business failed. It just the way we are. By the by, I'm now working in Bangkok with a regular wage and will be back in Chiang Mai for Christmas and New Year without having to prepare 150 Christmas Dinners, Boxing Day cold cuts, New Years Party and the like, Any good ideas for Christmas Dinner? I havent seen many adverts yet!!

I knew a guy like that once that supported Leyton Orient. He also supported the Russians in the Olympics, but that might have only been a coincidence.

• Like 1

I went to Gekko with my wife today for lunch. I ordered a spaghetti and meatballs. I did not specify garlic bread nor did the waitress asked me about it. When my order came, it came with garlic bread. I looked at the order slip, it said my order was 119 Bahts (it's their price including garlic bread). Later when I asked for my bill, the bill said my order was 95 Bahts. The price for their spaghetti & meatballs is 99 Bahts. The garlic bread is 20 Bahts. I went ahead and paid my bill without asking any questions. A bit puzzled on how they came to the bill amount.

I went to Gekko with my wife today for lunch. I ordered a spaghetti and meatballs. I did not specify garlic bread nor did the waitress asked me about it. When my order came, it came with garlic bread. I looked at the order slip, it said my order was 119 Bahts (it's their price including garlic bread). Later when I asked for my bill, the bill said my order was 95 Bahts. The price for their spaghetti & meatballs is 99 Bahts. The garlic bread is 20 Bahts. I went ahead and paid my bill without asking any questions. A bit puzzled on how they came to the bill amount.

OK here's the scoop........

Gecko have a daily special, e.g.. Friday all day Fish & Chips 105 Baht

However........

If you order an item that happens to be one of the daily specials before 4pm on any day including weekends, you will get it at the reduced price......

Hence.........

You ordered Spaghetti for lunch at 119 baht from the menu.........

Spaghetti plus garlic bread also happens to be the Thursday special at 95 baht......

But because you ordered it before 4pm today Tuesday.........

You automatically received it with garlic bread and at the reduced Thursday special price...........

Which makes me wonder about all this talk regarding keeping the small change, when they automatically give people a discount, when the customer didn't have any idea that the meal was discounted. If a new waitress gets it wrong, the cashier will know to change it as it's before 4pm and does so.

I would say this is honest. thumbsup.gif

However........

If you order an item that happens to be one of the daily specials before 4pm on any day including weekends, you will get it at the reduced price......

Hence.........

Spaghetti plus garlic bread also happens to be the Thursday special at 95 baht......

You automatically received it with garlic bread and at the reduced Thursday special price...........

Which makes me wonder about all this talk regarding keeping the small change, when they automatically give people a discount, when the customer didn't have any idea that the meal was discounted. If a new waitress gets it wrong, the cashier will know to change it as it's before 4pm and does so.

I'm missing something here. I thought Farang bar/restaurant owners are miserable and rude. Arrogant too, or so I'm told. I bet he has a work permit too, if only to annoy the stereo-typers.

• Like 1

Yes I find that puzzling to. Maybe I did not pay attention to the bill as there was 6 of us and no telling how many dishes the family ordered plus 5 ice cream orders.

I just assumed the spaghetti and meat balls came with the Garlic bread.

It was at night on the Boss salad special.

Can't say for sure but I believe I did not get any change other than bills. Have eaten there often and never had a problem with getting change. I generally look for it no matter how much it is and hang on to it and put a 20 baht bill in for a tip. When I get a bit of it we give it to a nephew who is mentally challenged.

By now I suspect the boss has had a talk with his staff.

Will someone please explain about the small change not being returned at Gecko.

You give the waitress 150 Baht for a 135 Baht bill. She disappears with the money and you don't see her again. After waiting 5 or 10 minutes you decide it is not worth making a fuss about and leave but you don't forget. This has only happened to me in the day time when it is not at all busy and the waitress is able to make herself scarce for some time because there are few other customers to serve.

From what I remember it's just one lady who does this who works there regularly. And when she does come back out she remembers and walks around to the other side or acts like she's taking another order etc. all for that 10 baht rip off. It happened both from the table when I paid, and also when I got up to pay directly at the bar.

I never went behind the counter to confront her either in front of other patrons sitting there at the bar (could be a defamtion issue whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn ). It's too embarrassing for that small amount where everyone's watching. I think it was around 10-15 baht. I'm not sure if she would do it for larger amounts. Basically, they have figured out that tipping is normal in other countries and they are working it for all it's worth. That's why you don't tip in Thailand and ruin it for other people coming over.

Sure turned me off the place, happened a couple years back when I first arrived in CM and I never went back.

I like many have been enjoying the deals on food and drinks for many years, i'm not short of a quid but like the scene as it is, little dirty but friendly.

All the staff speak English which puts them right in place for ASEAN...maybe others should take note

Not once in all the bills has there ever been a issue about change, the only grump I had was the ice bucket but hey still great deals.

• Like 1

However........

Hence.........

I've never been given the 'special price' on an off special day, and I only go there at lunch time.

However........

Hence.........

I've never been given the 'special price' on an off special day, and I only go there at lunch time.

It was started a couple of months ago and there is a longish sign up saying so and as a previous poster noticed you would get it automatically anyway.

I'm surprised you don't get it, but MORE surprised you still go in for lunch after writing......

Beer is cheap, so the place is full of all day drunks.

Not to mention it's beside the smelly klong.

• Like 2

I'm doubting that the change was not returned but that they were slow in doing so. That being said, if you are waiting for your 15 Bht you should also be looking at cheap flights home. Need I say more?

I've eaten at Gheko Garden and many of my friends eat there.

Dave

Almost 2900 views and 107 replies?

I've been there 4 or 5 times. Had the fish and chips and roast beef sandwich. It was O.K., nothing special. I'm surprised it has gotten so much attention. I bet the owner is happy.

Never a problem with the change (which I always left for the waitress).

I'm doubting that the change was not returned but that they were slow in doing so. That being said, if you are waiting for your 15 Bht you should also be looking at cheap flights home. Need I say more? I've eaten at Gheko Garden and many of my friends eat there. Dave

What is the amount when you should wait for change? 20 baht? 50 baht? 100 baht? 500 baht?

• Like 1

I'm doubting that the change was not returned but that they were slow in doing so. That being said, if you are waiting for your 15 Bht you should also be looking at cheap flights home. Need I say more? I've eaten at Gheko Garden and many of my friends eat there. Dave

What is the amount when you should wait for change? 20 baht? 50 baht? 100 baht? 500 baht?

That is a ridicules question.

In your case 500 baht.

This thread started out with honest opinions and has certainly degenerated.

Time to kill it. As to what is the amount you should wait for up to you.

beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAubeatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAuburp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

Offhand, I would say that it's worth waiting for if it's more than what you otherwise would leave as a tip. Someone who is morally opposed to tipping certainly should wait even if the change is only 1 baht. But if you were planning to tip 20 baht and the change is going to be somewhere around that, why not just leave right away after giving them the cash?

I agree, Angel. Further, I would tell the person that change is not necessary in that case.

Obviously there are some people that in their own minds consider themselves expert on Chiang Mai that seem to consider that rediculous (corrected spelling).

Edited by hml367

Having eaten there 20 - 30 times I have always had my change delivered.. The staff are always fairly pleasant and were attentive to my non Thai asian GF (I think they were Mon / Hilltribe / Burmese themselves) where some places have been less than perfect that way.

As said its simple fare, but always pretty well prepared and a fair price. I think the lasagna worth going back for and they are happy to make up stuff thats not exactly on the menu (eggs on a T bone steak for breakfast).. 30b a kilo avacados recently a nice bonus.

If you want fancy this isnt the place.. For beer and a feed, its a fine option.. I think Sausage king has better full english breakfasts, and possibly slightly better other dishes and specials but he would need to do it right to be that busy that far out the city. Either way its a similar setup of value offering that seems to be doing OK for both places.

I agree, Angel. Further, I would tell the person that change is not necessary in that case. Obviously there are some people that in their own minds consider themselves expert on Chiang Mai that seem to consider that rediculous (corrected spelling).

Returning change is always the right thing to do, regardless of the amount.

Tipping is up to each individual to decide how much.