WIFI Usage

fdbob

Hi I know this sounds dumb. I bought an AIS pocket wifi and paid 400 baht for 1 month, my question is if I am not using the internet but I leave the modem on and am still connected is it still using my money. Thanks Fred

Your package includes a certain amount of 3G traffic, that means you can use the fast 3G internet until your traffic is finished, then your connection speed will be limited (but it's unlimited after that). I'm not sure about your package, but usually they give something between 500MB and 3GB 3G traffic (which is not that much these days). Even when you don't actively use the internet and are just connected to some messengers, it will still "cost" you traffic. But of course, much less. The worst thing that can happen to you is that your 3G speed has been used up and your speed gets limited. No matter what, they won't charge you more during this month because the low speed internet is unlimited.

Edited by kandi

Your package includes a certain amount of 3G traffic, that means you can use the fast 3G internet until your traffic is finished, then your connection speed will be limited (but it's unlimited after that). I'm not sure about your package, but usually they give something between 500MB and 3GB 3G traffic (which is not that much these days). Even when you don't actively use the internet and are just connected to some messengers, it will still "cost" you traffic. But of course, much less. The worst thing that can happen to you is that your 3G speed has been used up and your speed gets limited. No matter what, they won't charge you more during this month because the low speed internet is unlimited.

. Thanks that makes sense to me,mine is as all portable modem that I use for my ipad as that doesn't have a sim.

Well, referrring to the website the 399 Baht is a monthly "flatrate".

So whether you are connected or not, does not matter regarding to money.

The device seems to be a combination of WiFi and UMTS (mobile internet).

(I hope I got that right?)

For WiFi connections there is absolutely no limit.

If you are connected via UMTS (3g) however, then traffic/data is the problem (pseudo "flatrate):

there is a data limit of 1GB per month, after which your connection speed will be throttled to 64 kBit/s!

If there is any "hidden" traffic (e.g.: automatic updates of any kind) it will eat up your data volume.

Its always worth to switch off those automatic donwload/update mechanisms with such a tariff.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Well, referrring to the website the 399 Baht is a monthly "flatrate".

So whether you are connected or not, does not matter regarding to money.

The device seems to be a combination of WiFi and UMTS (mobile internet).

(I hope I got that right?)

For WiFi connections there is absolutely no limit.

If you are connected via UMTS (3g) however, then traffic/data is the problem (pseudo "flatrate):

there is a data limit of 1GB per month, after which your connection speed will be throttled to 64 kBit/s!

If there is any "hidden" traffic (e.g.: automatic updates of any kind) it will eat up your data volume.

Its always worth to switch off those automatic donwload/update mechanisms with such a tariff.

. That is great advice you have all that information correct about my internet I will turn off all automatic updates. thank you

my question is if I am not using the internet but I leave the modem on and am still connected is it still using my money

No.

http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/pc-package.aspx?package=Pocket-Wifi

Assuming pre-paid, either/both Pocket WiFi devices comes with 1 GB (with a 64 Kbps fair-use speed), each month for 400 baht (all in, includes VAT). So once you've downloaded/uploaded 1 GB, your speed will be limited to 64 Kbps. The plan should automagically renew on the same day of the month, assuming you've added money to your account.

There should be something in the UI which allows you to monitor usage. Some UIs also allow for the origination of USSD codes. Or maybe that UI has a check balance/usage "button". Look through the "phone book" on the SIM, again from the UI, there should be a listing on the 30 or so numbers/codes. *139# and/or *139*3# used to work for data. *121# for account balance and expiry.

Also note that you plan/promotion includes unlimited WiFi (from partner 3BB). 3BB have a pretty broad deployment of WiFi APs here; 60,000 APs.

post-9615-0-77415500-1384658181_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo