can't access my yahoo mail account

watgate

I am writing this as I am on hold with yahoo customer support. I am hoping they can fix my inability to access my yahoo mail account but in case I can't...... I am on this forum seeking advice. It has been a couple of days now and when I log onto my yahoo mail account I can get into the account but I can not get into my inbox to check my messages. I unfortunately don't have any backup and this is my primary mail account that I utilize to get messages and alerts etc.. I created this outlook account primarily to access Thaivisa. Does anyone have any ideas what needs to be done to enable me to access my yahoo mail account. All my contacts are there and I receive assorted emails and alerts, some of importance through this yahoo mail account. I need some good sound advice as to what needs to be done should I need to change to another provider. I am hoping yahoo customer service will be able to fix this problem such as maybe needing to change my password or maybe there is currently a problem with yahoo mail on there end. Thanks for any info or advice.

* I would never rely on this company for critical email, and have used Gmail since 2005 as my main service. YMMV.

Not same problem as you but I have had Yahoo mail since late 90's and found emails disappearing since using Yahoo! Mail on a PC and syncing with an Android device in recent few years. The emails only disappear from Inbox, and not any other folders for some reason. Yahoo support only offers to recover last 7 days of emails - by restoring a back up - over writing any more current emails you might have written. Now my Inbox most recent email is dated from year 2009!

Edited by Digitalbanana

I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by Yahoo mail.

I have used BT Yahoo in the same way as the OP for 10 years - I am now considering move to Gmail as my main provider.

A friend told me that Yahoo was becoming 'unstable' - I have a number of issues including lost emails and not being able to attach documents.

Try re-installing or updating Adobe Flash. Yahoo relies on that.

I can't see my inbox until I first click on any other link such as junk mail, etc.

I agree I have more and more trouble with it. It seems to crash Flash and I have to reboot my computer.

I haven't tried another browser. I use Firefox.

I have had a yahoo account for over 10 years. Occasionally it will not permit access. Last year I had the problem and found a way to get into the email account. After about 10 days of using the alternative access, I was given access again with no problem.

For direct access to your emails, try this one. It does not provide the yahoo format and limits what you can do, but it is functional.

http://mlogin.yahoo.com/w/login/user?.done=widget%3Aygo-mail%2Fhome.bp&.ts=1349846784&_httpHost=us.m.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.lang=en

Some info was provided by this site:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081007152909AAN3GNQ

With yahoo email I always get notices telling me to do this or that allegedly coming from yahoo. Most of these may be spam……

Hope this works.

Before trying other methods:

you can force yahoo Webmail to fall back to a very old, basic user interface.

To do so:

disable Javascript in your browser

start yahoo Mail, there will be some "continue anyway ..." message which you have to confirm

enable Javasript

From now yahoo Mail comes up in this old fashioned interface and a lot of problems that I had with the latest GUI update were gone.

(no reaction to mouse clicks, awfully slow and much more)

Maybe there will be more "need javascript" messages from yahoo, which have to be ignored/skipped.

Anyway it's time to say goodbye to yahoo. Crap!

Unfortunately Firefox made it difficult to disable Javascript starting from version 23 (option removed from the GUI).

You have to use "about:config" in the adress line. See here:

https://support.mozilla.org/de/questions/966527

The attitude of FF to assume users to be blockheads su...

Maybe time to say goodbye too.

In the German language news I just found a message about long lasting technical problems (hours to days).

According to yahoo they should be fixed by now.

No idea whether this is related to your problems.

Also a switchback to abandoned (useful) features is planned. So prepare for new trouble to come wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

I lost my incoming mail on the 9th Oct for 3 days then it came back. Only to go again on the 29th. again for 4 or 5 days

I have had the same Yahoo address for over 15 years no problems. My wife is using the same I Mac and safari. Her Yahoo mail was not affected.

Gave up in the end and changed my e-mail account. Had to change it with E-Bay Pay-pal Bank Etc.

Yes I would like to know why this has happened and why my wife's was not affected.

Never bothered to contact Yahoo most likely a wast of time

• Like 1

Oh B*ll*cks, Just set up yahoo as the alternate email acc for wifey as hotmail locked her out of the acc she has had for 12 years. Applying for settlement visa for her too, so that's another source of proof of an ongoing relationship disappeared into the ethernet. S*D, S*D, S*D!

Yahoo mail started to roll out a major upgrade a month ago. You can no longer opt to keep the old version that worked. When mine got up graded by them to the new version, I could not see my e-mails. Later on, I was able to see them, but not open them. I sent a message to their help line and the problem was fixed within a few hours.

I would add that some years ago, a colleague accidentally selected "delete" on all his messages which contain years of valuable AutoCAD design drawings and manuals. He was in a right two and eight over it. I told him that they have to keep copies of all e-mails for some years and to contact the help line, which he did. Within a few hours he had all his deleted e-mails back going back years.

Yahoo is a lot safer than Outlook. I have known a lot of businessmen and Engineers who have lost all their valuable e-mails when their outlook crashed. With outlook it is an extremely long and arduous programming task to recover each e-mail. Netscape was the best system, but used to crash now and again. However, you could recover all messages yourself with a few lines of code.

I've been an avid user of Yahoo mail until recently, suffering some of the problems as other posters.

Basically, through trial and error, I've found a way (for me anyway) to recover lost emails and stabilise Yahoo mail.

All I done was add Yahoo to my compatibility view settings list.

All of my seemingly lost mail was present in my inbox after doing this and the new functions actually worked.

Due to the recent updates on Yahoo Mail, windows o/s etc. I believe they just don't sync with each other as yet. No doubt it will sorted over the coming days-weeks by Yahoo.

I tried to set up an account with Yahoo. I forgot my pass word so I followed their instructions and entered my e mail address they then asked me for my pass word which I had already clicked forgot password it was a round and round we go system. I forgot my password enter your pass word.

Not sure but I think Thai Visa recommends against using them.

I had a friend who was interested in a news letter Yahoo would not accept it so I would copy it and send it to him.

Try to hook the yahoo up to outlook express. If you can successfully do that you should get your information. Then transfer it to another file to hold. Not sure what I am talking about here as I have an old machine and it has had it's problems with outlook express also. But I notice when I delete things off of my g mail or hotmail account they are still there in outlook.

Used Yahoo email for 10 years with no major problems. Security questions are available if I forget my password, I forget sometimes my first dog's name, then I remembered I used the name of a different dog... that was the worst case scenario.

One thing that was annoying was when they made the new yahoo (with adobe flash) and I could not really read everything on my small eee pc. I quickly discovered how I could go to options and use Yahoo "Classic"...and it worked like a charm.

Not that I recieve important emails...but i don't need to fix somethings that is not broken. Getting a new service such as gmail (I detest google and all their toolbars and monopolies)...would be a pain in the butt. Some addressees might accidently forget to update my id. Email is like a text message...who cares what the machine/program looks like...I just read and write....not all that complicated.

Yahoo mail started to roll out a major upgrade a month ago. You can no longer opt to keep the old version that worked.

I am using the old "Classic" and it is still working. Look under options. Also i am still seeing a prompt in the upper right section that asks if I need to switch to the "New" yahoo.

Okay, I think I've sussed it, but, believe this to be the basic version.

In Yahoo Mail, go to the cog icon in the top right hand corner. Select settings. Click on viewing email and select basic at the foot of the dialogue box and save.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Okay, I think I've sussed it, but, believe this to be the basic version.

In Yahoo Mail, go to the cog icon in the top right hand corner. Select settings. Click on viewing email and select basic at the foot of the dialogue box and save.

yep..you sort of click on the small triangle next to you I.D. at the upper right corner on your mail page. It displays Profile, Options and other things. Click on options and then when that opens look for mail account on the left side. click on that...and then you can switch between the new and old yahoo mail. it should work

• Like 1

chiang mai- I am not wooloomooloo. You have been very gracious to me and went out of your way to help me when I first arrived in Chaing Mai. I am very thankful for your help. watgate

No panic, it was merely a "funny" that didn't work out well.

Sometimes if you log on when in a different country/time zone, Yahoo thinks it might be a hacker and stops you logging on.

You have to click on change password and often it will work fine without having to change the password after you shut down and reboot. If not then you have to change the password.

Maybe this only applies if cannot lot into Yahoo Messenger as you say you did log into email? unsure.png