Wine In Thailand

thai_time

I will be getting married in Thailand next year. I know that there is a large import duty on wine in Thailand but i checked a website and the cheapest bottles were around 700 baht with and average of around 900- 100 baht for a bottle. That seems extortionate. Does anyone know anywhere in Bangkok to get a good price on wine. How much is it?

ps. i dont want Thai wine.

Villa Sukhumvit has wine tastings on weekends generally during the holiday season. They have a very large wine room on the 2nd floor at the Sukhumvit 33 location. Contact them to confirm wine tastings. Most places including Tops will give you a case discount of 5% or possibly 10%. To check out some good wines, look at the following website:

http://www.fairplex.com/wine2007/

This international wine competition lists wines by country, by type and also by price category.

The California Wine Company has a great looking web site at: http://www.ca-wine.net/

Have fun shopping for your wines! :o

Why would anyone buy a thai wine when it is priced at the same price as a good australian wine.

Recently at a thai vineyard, all their wines tasted sour and bitter and they were priced at the same as several well known australian brands available here...go figure.

Gran Monte and Monsoon Valley are neither sour nor bitter. The top quality Thai wines taste better than similarly priced imported Aussie wines, for my tastes. A lot of the cheaper Aussie wines are overly tannic from the common practice of adding wood chips to the wine, which the better Thai producers don't do. People acclimated to Aussie wines may prefer this, but it doesn't go over well in France, Italy or Calif, nor with the French vintners working in Thailand.

• 3 months later...
I will be getting married in Thailand next year. I know that there is a large import duty on wine in Thailand but i checked a website and the cheapest bottles were around 700 baht with and average of around 900- 100 baht for a bottle. That seems extortionate. Does anyone know anywhere in Bangkok to get a good price on wine. How much is it?

ps. i dont want Thai wine.

Villa Sukhumvit has wine tastings on weekends generally during the holiday season. They have a very large wine room on the 2nd floor at the Sukhumvit 33 location. Contact them to confirm wine tastings. Most places including Tops will give you a case discount of 5% or possibly 10%. To check out some good wines, look at the following website:

http://www.fairplex.com/wine2007/

This international wine competition lists wines by country, by type and also by price category.

The California Wine Company has a great looking web site at: http://www.ca-wine.net/

Have fun shopping for your wines! :o

I'm Frenchman and I like French wines ! Indeed !

I found very good original and typical French wines in Pattaya. From Thai French Wine , a company which imports only French wines.

Last month, my friend married with a thai lady and he went to this company.

This company have white, rosé and red wines which are very good and no so expensive.

For wedding party, we drank a very good Muscadet sur lie, the best for seafood. And after wine from Bordeaux province, Cotes de bourg and then a very good sparkling wine quite same Champagne.

He succeed to have very good prices about 500.- per bottle.

They are in Pattaya near 3rd road. My friend found them because they have website but I don't know the URL.

A wine expert discusses Australian wine:

WINE EXPERT:

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

:o

As Astral mentioned...Where are the guests from? Are they used to drinking wine? Can they tell a good wine from a bad one?

There is quite a selection of imported French low cost wines for around 200 baht a bottle, and bulk wine (4lt casks) or large bottles can be purchased from 350-750 baht. Even the quite passable "Jacob's Creek" (world's largest selling red) retails at 500 baht, and deals can be done for quantity. You can pay 3000 a bottle, but can you afford it, and are they going to apreciate it?

You won't have many Thai wine drinkers, so work on it from there.

French low cost wines for 200 bht a bottle??????

Where?

Please advise immediately.

A wine expert discusses Australian wine:

WINE EXPERT:

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

:o

Ah yes, a 3ltr handbag of Muscadet will make everything go with a swing :D:D

As Astral mentioned...Where are the guests from? Are they used to drinking wine? Can they tell a good wine from a bad one?

There is quite a selection of imported French low cost wines for around 200 baht a bottle, and bulk wine (4lt casks) or large bottles can be purchased from 350-750 baht. Even the quite passable "Jacob's Creek" (world's largest selling red) retails at 500 baht, and deals can be done for quantity. You can pay 3000 a bottle, but can you afford it, and are they going to apreciate it?

You won't have many Thai wine drinkers, so work on it from there.

French low cost wines for 200 bht a bottle??????

Where?

Please advise immediately.

You can get a pretty average French table wine in Tesco for around 280-300 bht. Whilst not great, it still beats drinking the local wines and beers.