Permanent Residence And House Registration Certificate

In the "List of documents for obtaining Certificate of Residence" sent to me by Immigration (i.e. after Permanent Residence was approved) a house registration certificate is specified. I thought a foreigner generally couldn't get on a tabian ban until after he had PR. So can anyone tell me the sequence of events when going to Immigration to get the certificate? Do I have to be on a tabian ban first?

I live in a rented condo, so do I have a choice what colour/type the tabian ban will be, or does it depend on what the owner of the condo already has? What's involved in getting me on the owner's tabian ban?

And then what's the procedure with the police? Do I have to get a one-year stamp, a five-year stamp, or a one-year registration plus 5-year stamp?

Thanks for any info.

Thanks. Since I don't own my condo, I'm still confused about how I can get registered in the blue book of my landlady.

Or just ask any Thai person who you are good friends with if you can be added to their house register. It will need to be the head of the house hold (as stated in the blue book) who needs to sign the documents allowing it. There is no real need to live where the blue book says you live. Most people don't (though if the ampur ask, just say yes of course!)

I don't own my condo. I'm just renting it. I think my landlady is willing to put me on the condo's tabien baan, but I'm wondering what the procedure is at the amphur and what documents are required. Would I have to produce the letter from Immigration and use that as the justification for applying or doesn't the amphur care why a foreigner wants to be on a tabien baan? This is all new to me.

• 2 weeks later...
In the "List of documents for obtaining Certificate of Residence" sent to me by Immigration (i.e. after Permanent Residence was approved) a house registration certificate is specified. I thought a foreigner generally couldn't get on a tabian ban until after he had PR. So can anyone tell me the sequence of events when going to Immigration to get the certificate? Do I have to be on a tabian ban first?

For the record, it turns out the Thai text of the letter makes it clear it's the tabien baan of the place you intend to live. You don't have to be on it at this point.

I live in a rented condo, so do I have a choice what colour/type the tabian ban will be, or does it depend on what the owner of the condo already has? What's involved in getting me on the owner's tabian ban?

Whatever the owner has.

And then what's the procedure with the police? Do I have to get a one-year stamp, a five-year stamp, or a one-year registration plus 5-year stamp?

After you pick up the Certificate of Residence from Immigration (Room 202 in Bangkok), you take that and the letter they give you to the police, along with 4 photos, tabien baan, and copies of your passport, certificate and tabien baan. Plus they'll need the names of your mother and father in Thai script. Pay 400 baht for the current year and 800 baht for the next 5 years. Pick up the Alien Registration book a couple of weeks later. Then start the process to get put on the tabien baan.

At some point in the process, Immigration will have unilaterally decided how your name is spelt in Thai and it will be impossible to change later. So in all Thai documents from now on I will be Mr Cameraka... :o