Help needed: bangkok condo aircon costs

Swelters

Hi gents

I wonder if you would be so kind as to help me with a little scientific study I've been doing of aircon costs for Bangkok condos for this year, 2013. I cobble together a theoretical model that is supposed to predict aircon electricity costs, baht per month (government price at about 4.5 baht per unit) for Bangkok condo dwellers of various types. Assume a 2 bedroom condo without heavy sun exposure.

bkkairconcost.jpg

RED users go by USA standards, they like it cool and steady.

GREEN users are middle of the road folks, they like it maybe up to 27 degrees, then turn on the aircon.

BLUE users are misers like me, use it only when it it's more than 29.5, when even a nice fan is not enough.

My question: does this match your experience at all? Could you also comment whether your condo gets a lot of sun?

Thanks much,

Jack Swelters

My condo is south facing and gets a lot of sun. However, during the day we use a fan and only resort to aircon during the late afternoon until the sun goes down. We use an aircon in the bedroom set at 25C at night.

My bills are always low.

117 sqm facing west with four A/C units run two for 8 hrs during the day and one for 8 hrs at night. Pay anywhere from 4000 to 6000 baht a month. Pont is one size doesn't fit all. Every one is different in their A/C use.

Thanks for these replies. I found that my first chart predicted costs were much too high and have revised it as now shown on the original post and below. I also have shown a couple of actual usages for this year, the lower light blue for my own 100 sm shaded condo with miserly use of aircon, an upper purple, for not a condo, but a rather large and leaky Bangkok house. If you would like to send your monthly "unit" use from your bill and a brief description of your place I will add your data to this chart.

What I hope to do here is develop a guide so that you can see where you stand on your monthly electric expense and share some ideas on how to cut costs. Thanks much.

bkkairconcost.jpg

Edited by Swelters

Sun touches my balcony first thing in the morning when I'm sleeping / just getting up but never actually really shines into the apartment and then disappears not to be seen again until the next morning basically.

Air con rarely on now but when I first moved in I had it on more frequently. Balcony doors open wide and being on 11th floor seems to keep it cool enough. I never got round to buying a fan.

Use AC at night, around 12 hours, Few hours on 26C High Fan, then 27C Low Fan when sleeping, all on Samsungs energy saver mode.

Bills are about 700b / month with big fridge and biggest Hatari fan you can buy on full speed when home.

25 is bit cold for me after a few hours, and it's only like 30C in the evening, the humidity is the problem not the temperate imo.

You can cut your bills down a lot by using energy saving modes and 26-27C, few hours at 26C and a 30SQM room is pretty cold all year around. Only time you have issues is in the winter when it's like 25C outside and it's humid but the AC isn't coming on because the temperature detector.

Edited by Bingo66