Thailand colonized

quiuvo

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand wasn't occupied by the Japanese in the same way that Vichy France wasn't occupied by the Germans.

There was also a resistance movement inside Thailand; particularly the north west.

Shame they weren't around when the bridge was built. Then again Hollywood would have missed out on a movie option.

thailand (or siam) was controlled by burma (from ~1550 to ~1800) and by japan (1941 to 1945)

parts of the country were taken by british and french empires and later became part of other countries

i recommend not to discuss this subject with thai people as they can get a bit emotional about it

Edited by brit1984
  • Like 2

thailand (or siam) was controlled by burma (from ~1550 to ~1800) and by japan (1941 to 1945)

parts of the country were taken by british and french empires and later became part of other countries

i recommend not to discuss this subject with thai people as they can get a bit emotional about it

Well for starters the burmese never controlled siam for that long. People get emotional because you're full of ****

the first landing of the japanese was actually NOT with the thai government's approval and there was some brief fighting. the thai prime minister had been upcountry and learned of the landing only a fw hours later and then gave his approval to stop the figthing...

The country was occupied by the Japanese during WW11, with the consent of the government at the time; but there was much resistance to this.

No, there was never an occupation. Thailand maintained its fully armed police and military, even joining in some of the fighting, mainly in the north against the Chinese.

The landing of Japanese troops was with the consent of the government, but there was never an occupation.

And there was very little resistance to both the landings and the presence of the Japanese throughout the war. Resistance of note - a bit more than a full day - occurred at Prachuap Khiri Khan, with the deaths of approximately 33 Thais.

Throughout the country, there was very little resistance or even disapproval.

yes they chewed up A LOT more tha the british. in any case, during the reign of rama 4 and rama 5 thailand lost app. 40 % of it's territory.all laos and cambodia, and a little bit in the south...

but that was logical: france wantesd to gain possessions; britain had them already in india/burma and malaysia. and they both wanted to retain a buffer state (thailand) between their colonies...

The British did take Burma and a good part of Malaysia away from Thailand.

I guess you could say they colonized them after taking .them from Thailand.

After WWII the Brits walked away from both, but they were not returned to Thailand.

Some Brit expats I know claim they are not treated as well by the Thai government ( immigration ) as other expats.

I wonder if the Thais still hold a grudge?

Probably not.

Most Thais I know don't know much of their countries history.

Some of Siam was reorganized but that was a fair time before WW2 not as a result of it.

Interesting website here: http://www.csmngt.com/thailand_history.htm

attachicon.gif1809 siam.jpgattachicon.gifcolonail expansion by year.jpg

Looks like France chewed up more than Britain!

Well for starters the burmese never controlled siam for that long. People get emotional because you're full of ****

But this did happen

"

• To totally destroy an entire city.. destruction of such magnitude, multiple huge stone temples . without bull dozers.. it must have been quite a demolition project!

The Burmese destruction of Ayutthaya in 1767 resulted in the loss of all official Thai government paperwork & records.

• Like 1

After WWII the Brits walked away from both, but they were not returned to Thailand.

Some Brit expats I know claim they are not treated as well by the Thai government ( immigration ) as other expats.

Probably not.

"Most Thais I know don't know much of their countries history."

Neither do you, it seems.

The British did not "take Burma and a good part of Malaysia away from Thailand". The exhanges of territory were much more complicated that this, and Thailand (or 'Siam') itself gained much territory and influence up to the early 20th century.

Although Thailand/Siam was not actually colonised by foreign powers, there are historians who now argue that the country has effectively colonised itself, with some classes and ethnic sub-groups dominating others. Factors such as the 'sakdina' system and Chinese immigration need to be considered - among several other factors.

I don't pretend to have made a detailed study of this - and those who are interested should read books by David Wyatt, Thongchai Winichakul and others - but I might just summarise part of the situation, as I see it, by asking: 'Who needs British colonials in pith helmets riding on decorated elephants when you have Thaksins in Prada riding in Mercedes?'

And furthermore... I guess that an underlying and very interesting question about whether Thailand/Siam was ever colonised is this:

'Is there evidence that formerly colonised countries fare worse, in the subsequent years, than uncolonised countries?' This is, I'd say, more than a clever exam question; it's worth an entire book or even TV documentary, but I have never seen this question discussed seriously in a book or on TV, with statistics and proper data.

I would suggest that bargaining bits of the country have led to the problems that Thailand faces in the South.

Thailand has been quite smart over the years to keep larger colonizers at bay, and still does that well. But I think politicians on both sides will need to step up a gear when Asean starts to take effect, as other regional economies are very aggressive and competitive, which is not that obvious in the thai psyche. I think its good that 'thainess' in the culture remains dominant, but for how long ?

I would suggest that bargaining bits of the country have led to the problems that Thailand faces in the South.

Perhaps if Siam had given all of the Muslim south the British and so those parts subsequently became parts of Malaysia upon that country's independence, then Thailand wouldn't have it's current problems in the South.

But that's a simplistic view of what is a very complex situation; as is yours.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

Probably not.