Bangkok Post Memories

bkkden

Who remembers the Nite Owl, Bernard Trink. The great Roger Cruchtley. The fabulous days when the Post Bag was better then the news with Edith Clampton. Seems like so much of the humor and charm from those days has dwindled away.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"Seems like so much of the humor and charm from those days has dwindled away."

The baton has been passed to the internet. Sure, Crutch stil writes his weekly column, but is in semi retirement now. Trink does the occasional book review, but he's very old and doddery. Very few young writers care for newspapers these days as they know the print media's days are numbered. There's far more exposure on the net, especially to one's peers. And boy, is there a lot of amazing stuff out there. The humour and charm you are missing. It's just moved on from the old era (which I miss, too).

The baton has been passed to the internet. Sure, Crutch stil writes his weekly column, but is in semi retirement now. Trink does the occasional book review, but he's very old and doddery. Very few young writers care for newspapers these days as they know the print media's days are numbered. There's far more exposure on the net, especially to one's peers. And boy, is there a lot of amazing stuff out there. The humour and charm you are missing. It's just moved on from the old era (which I miss, too).

I expect to see Trink tomorrow night. I'll be sure to mention it to him that you think he is "very old and doddery".

I expect to see Trink tomorrow night. I'll be sure to mention it to him that you think he is "very old and doddery".

Not sure if you are joking or what, but if no joke, tell him his book (I don't give a hoot...) was the first Thailand related book I read, and enjoyed it very much.

smile.png

Not sure if you are joking or what, but if no joke, tell him his book (I don't give a hoot...) was the first Thailand related book I read, and enjoyed it very much.

smile.png

Not at home now to confirm, but Trinks book "But I Dont Give A Hoot " was written by a Jennifer ???????

According to the preface in the book Trink only give grudging consent. It also states why he has not written a book on his life himself

smile.png

Not at home now to confirm, but Trinks book "But I Dont Give A Hoot " was written by a Jennifer ???????

According to the preface in the book Trink only give grudging consent. It also states why he has not written a book on his life himself

Nevertheless, I sat with a positive impression of the guy, after the book.

smile.png

While you are at it, ask him about the time in Lucky Lukes a few years ago when he got most pissed off when the majority of the patrons in the bar had never heard of him, as he sat holding court to anyone who was drunk or daft enough to listen him.

A dinosaur from a bygone era, whatever happened to his faithful followers who promised to follow him to the ends of the earth?

About "I Don't Give A Hoot' book I was just pointing out that Trink did not write it. If he ever writes his own book maybe it will have a different slant on things.

Bernard Trink's problem was that after he was fired from the Post he started a Night Owl web site. This was in the days before web sites made money from adverts so it was a pay for view site. I remember it was so complicated to sign on to that I give up

After a couple of years out of the limelight all the newbies did not know who he was.