New Passport, Old Visa...

I will soon receive a new passport from my embassy.

As I understand it, I will be required to go to immigration to "transfer" the existing Non "B" visa from my old passport to the new passport.

(Remarks: I work in Hat Yai and I can get the passport from either the embassy in Bangkok, or the consulate on Phuket.)

Now I am unsure to which immigration office to go...

Should I pick up the passport in Bangkok (at my embassy) and go to immigration in Bangkok (because it is convenient and I know where that office is),

or should I have the passport sent to Phuket (as planned) and go to the immigration office in Phuket City (if possible for me, as I am working in Hat Yai, not in Pkuket province),

or do I have to go to immigration office of the province where I work ??

(Would immigration in Bangkok or Phuket City decline my request, as I am not working there ?)

Also, how much (if any) does it cost ? Or should I just get a new visa, rather than using the remaining four weeks of my current visa ??

:o

Go to your local immigration office. he closest one to where you live!

They will do the transfer for you, you need the old passport with a current visa and

the new passport.

Immigration will stamp the details of your existing visa in the new passport. It takes up a whole page, by the time they are finished.

If you still have outstanding entries on the old visa, you will need to show both passports the next time you enter the kingdom, in order to utilise the entries.

Hi,

just to add to what astral said: your old passeport will be cancelled by your embassy/consulate, so to leave the country or to renew/extend your visa you will have to use your new passeport. The only way is to have the visa transferred. I would recommend to go wherever you had your last extesion done. I did this in Chiang Mai in January, it takes a day (drop off one day pick up the next) and as far as I remember there was no cost. Make sure you get the letter from the embassy/consulate asking the immigration office to transfer your visa.

cheers, Holm

The British Embassy cancels the passport, but is careful not to cancel current Thai visa pages.

Good idea to tell your embassy if there are pages that you are going to need,

not just Thai visas.........