Where to buy jalapenos?

Oscar2

anyone know where I can buy a decent supply of jalapenos? have looked around the markets, Rimping, etc. but didn't see them. seem to remember reading on this forum that someone sold them but a search comes up less than fruitful. thanks.

Royal Project on corner of Suthep for sure... small box of 8 for 40 baht... or drive to Rachuapak (sp) Flower Park, make right at fork in the road just before entrance to park and continue about 2 kms until you see open market on right side of road. 1 kilo bags of jalapenos for 60 baht plus many other veggies in bulk for next to nothing prices. Go before 11am.

thanks for the replies.

iainiain101 "Its a good time of year to grow your own". i'm open to growing some but we have had terrible luck with growing vegetables of any type, and even papayas and bananas as we are surrounded by jungle and every time the insects or caterpillars of every type (some i have no idea what they are) devour our crop every time. we don't want to spray any pesticides so we have given up. if the insects don't get them, the birds or squirrels do.

CMfoodie thanks for that. i know the market by Royal Flora you are talking about. been by there a couple of times but must have been off on timing as employees said to us "market not open now." will try tomorrow before 11:00.

thx again.

Sometimes they have them at Tops with the Royal Project veggies and I always buy them, just to show there's a market demand for them . I wish they'd pick them a little earlier, when the skin is still smooth, rather than waiting until it starts to crack, but oh well, at least they're fresh.

Would love to get a few kilos of jalapenos to put in my meat smoker to make my own chipolte peppers. I tried a small test batch and they were amazing!!

Funny that Thais generally don't appreciate jalapenos.........or at least my wife doesn't. She would rather have those super hot red [bird's eye?] chilis that have no flavor other than HOT........masking the flavors of anything that is in the dish

Would love to get a few kilos of jalapenos to put in my meat smoker to make my own chipolte peppers. I tried a small test batch and they were amazing!!

Funny that Thais generally don't appreciate jalapenos.........or at least my wife doesn't. She would rather have those super hot red [bird's eye?] chilis that have no flavor other than HOT........masking the flavors of anything that is in the dish

If she likes hot you should try to get some Habeneros. They're rated #1 on the Scoville heat index, and much hotter than the birdseyes, if you can believe it! I've seen them occasionally at Rimping Meechock.

But be careful with these. They are deadly! Most restaurant workers wear rubber gloves when handling them.

Check this out:

http://phoenix.about.com/od/foodanddrink/ss/chilepepper_4.htm

If she likes hot you should try to get some Habeneros. They're rated #1 on the Scoville heat index, and much hotter than the birdseyes, if you can believe it! I've seen them occasionally at Rimping Meechock.

http://phoenix.about.com/od/foodanddrink/ss/chilepepper_4.htm

For what it's worth, which isn't much, habaneros are no longer rated #1 on the Scoville index. In fact, the URL you linked to says exactly that. I recently read an article, I think it was in the New Yorker, about how competitive the world of chile pepper growing has become. That said, munching on a habanero is not a stunt I could pull off. A jalapeno is the most I could manage. And that's without the seeds. But I used to live in the Yucatan and the locals told me that when times were tough, they would subsist on tortillas and habaneros. I did see kids there munching on them without any evident pain.

Sometimes they have them at Tops with the Royal Project veggies and I always buy them, just to show there's a market demand for them . I wish they'd pick them a little earlier, when the skin is still smooth, rather than waiting until it starts to crack, but oh well, at least they're fresh.

Actually, I'd like to get some red jalapenos. Very occasionally, some partially ripe ones will be on offer.

I guess you just get conditioned to the heat and need to 'kick it up a notch' every now and then. I'd like to know which dishes use a pepper hotter than a Habanero. People who think Thai food is hot would be amazed at the heat generated by lot of Mexican food.

And here's a guy eating what is reputed to be the world's hottest pepper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tRq8ExAHzkcrazy.gif

Hello All, jaideeguy your wife is just down the road from mine, she's a convert to Mex chilies.

Se was snacking with one of mine.

I thought chipolte was from red ones? This is the closest I've got, they don't last long here.

A couple of yellow(jalor) jals last week from the driveway.

The driveway a few minuets ago.

rice555

post-37242-0-18842500-1385223642_thumb.j

post-37242-0-46650100-1385223688_thumb.j

post-37242-0-90202900-1385223747_thumb.j

post-37242-0-27636400-1385223833_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Hello All, jaideeguy your wife is just down the road from mine, she's a convert to Mex chilies.

Se was snacking with one of mine.

I thought chipolte was from red ones? This is the closest I've got, they don't last long here.

A couple of yellow(jalor) jals last week from the driveway.

The driveway a few minuets ago.

rice555

All good places to check. I.ve been looking for years. This is my first year in Chaing Mai, so good to find jalapeno's are around. In central Th. I never found any in the 7 yrs I lived there, had friends mail me packs of seeds, but had little to no luck with them. Biggest issue was the humidity down there. The only time I got plants to mature and produce, I found each pepper soft and turning red prematurely. Upon opening each one up, I found what looks just like maggots, but smaller, inside eating everything. None of the neighbors had ever seen anything like that before.