Traffic Fine

I recently got nicked on my motorcyle for making a left-turn after stopping at a red light at a 3-way intersection (made the left at the top of the 'T'). The policeman was writing the ticket before I got off the motorcycle. I went to the Thong Lor station the next day and paid the fine of 400 baht.

Is this a typical fine for a relatively minor infraction?

I recently got nicked on my motorcyle for making a left-turn after stopping at a red light at a 3-way intersection (made the left at the top of the 'T'). The policeman was writing the ticket before I got off the motorcycle. I went to the Thong Lor station the next day and paid the fine of 400 baht.

Yes this is the amount for most infractions.

Sounds pretty typical, although I wouldn't describe running a red light as a 'minor infraction'. It would probably net you a 3 month ban in the UK.

Be safe on your m/c, too dashed dangerous here :o

Sounds pretty typical, although I wouldn't describe running a red light as a 'minor infraction'. It would probably net you a 3 month ban in the UK.

Making a left turn on a red after coming to a full stop is legal unless marked so not sure what the OP did. And the fine is typical.

Making a left turn on a red after coming to a full stop is legal unless marked so not sure what the OP did. And the fine is typical.

I thought a 'left on red' was only permitted if there was an indicating arrow sign on the light pole.

Could be mistaken though.

I thought a 'left on red' was only permitted if there was an indicating arrow sign on the light pole.

Only if the light supports it (has arrows) else it is left turn on red is allowed. Perhaps this intersection had that and would explain the offense. Of course if it was a one way street .... :o

Edited by tywais

Only if the light supports it (has arrows) else it is left turn on red is allowed. Perhaps this intersection had that and would explain the offense. Of course if it was a one way street .... :D

Sorry Tywais, I've confused the issue. I didn't mean a green filter, I meant an actual metal sign (blue and white I think) attached to the pole with the traffic lights on top. Of course that sign could mean something totally different.

Be interesting to hear from the OP as to exactly what he did :o

Only if the light supports it (has arrows) else it is left turn on red is allowed. Perhaps this intersection had that and would explain the offense. Of course if it was a one way street .... :D

Sorry Tywais, I've confused the issue. I didn't mean a green filter, I meant an actual metal sign (blue and white I think) attached to the pole with the traffic lights on top. Of course that sign could mean something totally different.

Be interesting to hear from the OP as to exactly what he did :o

This left on red is confusing. In the States a right on red is allowed (after a full stop) UNLESS there is a sign prohibiting it.

I have always thought that in Thailand if there is a full red light (but no red arrow) you could make a left on red. But, I have seen intersections with full red lights and blue/white painted left arrow signs implying that this was the only permissible way to make a left on red.

Any Thai traffic cops here? :D

Any Thai traffic cops here? :o

I know that the left hand on red rule is correct with exceptions. Though my wife is not a cop I asked her about this and she said that if it is near a school then it is not allowed unless posted. I've also been caught out for an illegal turn at certain times of days. The sign was a portable one that they put out for that time. Was so used to turning at that point didn't realize it changed during rush hour. :D

Was curious about this blue sign so looked it up, wasn't easy to find.

Here is a list of the regulatory signs of Thailand: Department of Land Transportation

It shows that sign as being left turn only.

Any Thai traffic cops here? :o

I know that the left hand on red rule is correct with exceptions. Though my wife is not a cop I asked her about this and she said that if it is near a school then it is not allowed unless posted. I've also been caught out for an illegal turn at certain times of days. The sign was a portable one that they put out for that time. Was so used to turning at that point didn't realize it changed during rush hour. :D

Was curious about this blue sign so looked it up, wasn't easy to find.

Here is a list of the regulatory signs of Thailand: Department of Land Transportation

It shows that sign as being left turn only.

I love this forum!

Your post should be pinned.

A question: when you have the blue/white left arrow does that mean that not only must you turn left but you can still turn left on a full red light? That is what I would assume. In order to prohibit a left on red there would also have to be a red left arrow.

Thanks for posting the sign regulations. I printed the 10 pages.

I love this forum!

A question: when you have the blue/white left arrow does that mean that not only must you turn left but you can still turn left on a full red light? That is what I would assume. In order to prohibit a left on red there would also have to be a red left arrow.

My pleasure, was educational for me too. Regarding your question, that would be my assumption also. Here is the link to the same site but with all category of signs listed in case you didn't see it. More

There is a metal sign that is blue with a left white arrow that also has thai writing and english that tells you that you can turn left at traffic lights on some roads here in pattaya but its not in your list you posted. There is a lot of confusion on this turn left, as there are also some traffic lights here that you cant turn left and has caught out a lot of farangs. Why cant they just make it red for stop for every way then drivers would know what you have to do and also people would be able to cross the road without worring about traffic coming left.

I love this forum!

My pleasure, was educational for me too. Regarding your question, that would be my assumption also. Here is the link to the same site but with all category of signs listed in case you didn't see it. More

Most useful link Tywais :o

Of course, just to add to the fun each district has its own sign painters so there are an infinite number of 'dialects' to the signage.

There is a metal sign that is blue with a left white arrow that also has thai writing and english that tells you that you can turn left at traffic lights on some roads here in pattaya but its not in your list you posted. There is a lot of confusion on this turn left, as there are also some traffic lights here that you cant turn left and has caught out a lot of farangs. Why cant they just make it red for stop for every way then drivers would know what you have to do and also people would be able to cross the road without worring about traffic coming left.

This is the sign I am refering to, not many in BKK and I don't remember there being any text.

Edited by Crossy

There is a metal sign that is blue with a left white arrow that also has thai writing and english that tells you that you can turn left at traffic lights on some roads here in pattaya but its not in your list you posted. There is a lot of confusion on this turn left, as there are also some traffic lights here that you cant turn left and has caught out a lot of farangs.

That's why I indicated 'with exceptions' and they should be posted somewhere but you get used to it being the norm 99% of the time and these exceptions get missed by not looking, it's happened to me. Crossy has a point about the district perhaps modifying the signs to suit their area, especially a tourist area with a lot of farangs driving and not familiar with the sign meanings. The site I pointed to is the definitive (government) source though.

This is the sign I am refering to, not many in BKK and I don't remember there being any text.

When in doubt it is probably better to wait until the light turns green and ignore the horn honks from behind.

Horn honks from behind are the best indicator whether you should stay or go, though you should check if it's an irate van driver or some maniac, or a regular motorist who is honking.

You are probably right.

I'm the OP. Sorry for the late response, but haven't accessed the board for a few days.

The ticket is all in Thai (the only English text is where the officer wrote my name, and totally butchered the spelling). He only spoke Thai when he stopped me, and clearly indicated by what I could understand ("fai dang; may tong liao saai") and through his gestures that I had made an illegal left turn.

I did not run a red light in the traditional sense of many local drivers, but as stated in the OP, simply made a left hand turn at a red traffic after stopping and making sure cars weren't coming. I didn't see and don't know if there is a sign at an intersection forbidding such a turn.

Specifically, I was traveling north on Sukhumvit Soi 42 (a one-way street intersecting into Sukhumvit) in Bangkok, and making a left turn onto Sukhumvit. I have often seen cars and motos make lefts on red lights at this and other intersections, though this of course is no indicator that this is a legal maneuver. It was not a case of me deliberately shooting through a red light at an intersection where there are oncoming vehicles.

In fact, when I was stopped and ticketed, a moto taxi driver and another cyclist had turned left on the red light just in front of me, but I happened to be the one the officer flagged down.

I've no complaint getting a ticket presuming I did wrong, just wanted to know if the 400 baht fine is typical. I had been told by a friend who drives daily that traffic fines for an offense such as this were typically 150-200 baht.

The fines were not listed on the written ticket, but a posting of traffic offenses at the Thong Lor Station showed fine ranges from 250 - 1,000 baht.

So, all in all, it sounds like a reasonable fine compared to what we would incur in a western country, but pretty stiff for most working-class Thais.

I'm the OP. Sorry for the late response, but haven't accessed the board for a few days.

The ticket is all in Thai (the only English text is where the officer wrote my name, and totally butchered the spelling). He only spoke Thai when he stopped me, and clearly indicated by what I could understand ("fai dang; may tong liao saai") and through his gestures that I had made an illegal left turn.

I did not run a red light in the traditional sense of many local drivers, but as stated in the OP, simply made a left hand turn at a red traffic after stopping and making sure cars weren't coming. I didn't see and don't know if there is a sign at an intersection forbidding such a turn.

Specifically, I was traveling north on Sukhumvit Soi 42 (a one-way street intersecting into Sukhumvit) in Bangkok, and making a left turn onto Sukhumvit. I have often seen cars and motos make lefts on red lights at this and other intersections, though this of course is no indicator that this is a legal maneuver. It was not a case of me deliberately shooting through a red light at an intersection where there are oncoming vehicles.

In fact, when I was stopped and ticketed, a moto taxi driver and another cyclist had turned left on the red light just in front of me, but I happened to be the one the officer flagged down.

I've no complaint getting a ticket presuming I did wrong, just wanted to know if the 400 baht fine is typical. I had been told by a friend who drives daily that traffic fines for an offense such as this were typically 150-200 baht.

The fines were not listed on the written ticket, but a posting of traffic offenses at the Thong Lor Station showed fine ranges from 250 - 1,000 baht.

So, all in all, it sounds like a reasonable fine compared to what we would incur in a western country, but pretty stiff for most working-class Thais.

I think that unless there is a red arrow or a blue/white sign restricting it your turn should have been OK.

I think that unless there is a red arrow or a blue/white sign restricting it your turn should have been OK.

Same here. The only thing I can think of is that I know Sukhumvit, being a major thoroughfare, has rules that change depending on the time of day. Would be interesting if the OP has a chance to 'visit' that intersection again and see if there are any 'no turns on xxx-xxx time' signs. For example, if I remember right, one of the lanes changes directions depending on the time of day. May be wrong about that, but one of the lanes changes to something else during rush hour.

Of course there is the possibility it was 'quota day'. :o

Edited by tywais

I'll check the intersection for signs next time I go there, and report what I see in this forum.

LOL. Could've been quota day. The police at this location rarely step outside their air-conditioned box to monitor traffic.

Heading south on Charoen Krung Road where it meet Silom there is a solid red light with no arrows or any other signs. However, no one ever turns left on red. And it is a T intersection with Charoen Krung being the top of the T. I would think that this would be a good example of the kind of traffic light controlled road where turning left on red would be legal and easy. As it is near my home I pass it daily and I never see anyone turning left.

If you take a shortcut from Ratchada to Rama 9 (which goes a looong way around the Ministry of Culture now) you'll come to the T-junction with a dedicated red light for the left turns, but no one ever looks at it and I've never seen police to pay any attention whatsoever. If you stop you'll be honked at, furiously.

I guess it's because there's an extra lane for the bus stop farther down, and you don't cut into anyone's way if you turn left there.

I always ask the policeman how much the fine will be, and check if I get a receipt. The answer is usually yes to the receipt.

Then I offer half and no receipt needed........

It used to be 200baht with a receipt

and 100 baht without. :o