Thailand grabs World Record for largest human Christmas tree

webfact

Thailand Grabs World Record for Largest Human Christmas Tree
By Nopparat Chaichalearmmongkol
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

BANGKOK: -- Surrounded by the buzz of Bangkok’s swanky shopping district, 852 youths joined together in the holiday spirit on Friday to set a new Guinness World Record for the largest human Christmas tree.

With the feat, Thailand takes the title from Germany, whose leading telecom operator, E-Plus Gruppe, gathered 672 participants in Dusseldorf to set the record in December 2011.

The youths – students from across the capital, who were either recruited or applied to take part in the activity – were instructed to gather within demarcated boundaries that formed the shape of a Christmas-tree on a plaza in front of Siam Paragon shopping center.

In the meantime, Fortuna Burke, adjudicator of the Guinness World Records, checked photos taken from a sky crane above the site to make sure the shape had been achieved. [read more...]

Full story: http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/11/22/thailand-grabs-world-record-for-largest-human-christmas-tree/

-- THE WALL STREET JOURNAL 2013-11-23

I reckon the Guinness Book Of Records has really gone to seed. When I was young it was all stuff like " World's Tallest Tree", "World's Longest Train", "World's Most Expensive Car" etc. Now it seems to be " Longest time spent on a pogo stick juggling a pair of ferrets while dressed as a milkmaid, singing "Ave Maria" and eating a plate of spaghetti while Papau New Guinea headhunters throw buckets of custard at you."

Have you got a link to that video?

No, it was struck off the records when they discovered what the custard really was.

I thought it tasted funny...

• Like 1

Off topic post removed. How Thaksin can be brought into this topic, I'll be buggered if I know. blink.png

Best not to find out then. Being buggered can be painful I understand although some PFP Thai ladies manage it a few times per day. laugh.png

I reckon the Guinness Book Of Records has really gone to seed. When I was young it was all stuff like " World's Tallest Tree", "World's Longest Train", "World's Most Expensive Car" etc. Now it seems to be " Longest time spent on a pogo stick juggling a pair of ferrets while dressed as a milkmaid, singing "Ave Maria" and eating a plate of spaghetti while Papau New Guinea headhunters throw buckets of custard at you."

So who holds the record and how long was it? 15_8_218.gif

• Like 1

Not much of a tree. I was expecting them to be stood on each others shoulders, not simply lining up in a street wearing costumes.

There's a record for everything nowadays.

No doubt in another section there's also one for the tallest tree of people over 57 in purple undies two and a half days before Easter.

• Like 1

The Reds are definitely outnumbered this time tongue.png

BN-AN021_THtree_G_20131122084919.jpg

The Guinness Book of Records has certainly lost the plot. Judging by the entrants above,they can all come back year on year, for the next 500 years ,by adding 1 each year,and still end up world champions,every year. The only skill needed is to put on your uniform and shuffle around for an hour or two,between the marked out lines.

• Like 1

Is that it! Was expecting them to be, like, vertical at least! Though I won't bring Mr T into it (<deleted>), I will say beings as there were students involved I'm surprised it didn't end up in a huge brawl. Also, I hope this amazing feat doesn't mean that Thailand now becomes the hub of freakin' Christmas trees! Sweden might have something to say about that. tongue.png