What did your friends and family say when you told them you were moving to Thailand?

ivan96822

I left Switzerland at 20 and now live in Pattaya now after 45 yrs mostly in the Golden State. I don't even remember if they said anything when I left. They did come and see me several times in Los Angeles, but I suspect only because of free room and board hahhaha. I have a wonderful Issan wife (no I did not meet her in a bar LOL)

I bought 30 Rai in her name of course. Besides the fact that I have no legal rights in Thailand, I have no complaints. Weather is warm, food is good and the wife works hard in her pharmacy. With a little luck the rubber trees will produce in about 3 to 5 years. The only problem is that it is difficult to find staff for both businesses.

As soon as America gets rid of the illegal, homo muslim in the WH, I can always go and visit.

Maybe you should change your handle to redneck richard cranium.They probably said good riddance.

• Like 2

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 40. It was a deja vu look that I got from my uncle as this was the same look I got some 20+ yrs ago when I said I may have impregnated someone. Another uncle said "so you're going all the way there to get laid" right in front of his sons. What a fool, good luck on your divorce...

I have heard that they do talk behind my back and have stated they do not approve of my "alternative lifestyle"

My friends, I was the talk of the bunch and was congratulated for having enough balls to walk the talk..

At the time it was only an experiment, will do the "snow bird" version of this in 2015.

Would not change a thing.

They said: "If you can manage to board the plane in the first place, then it will be no more difficult getting off, and rolling around on the floor, when you arrive in Chiang Mai."

They were right, and I made the wisest move of my life when I landed here in CM.

This place cannot be beat by any other place I have been so far.

Reason? I would have to say it is the people, followed by the weather, the food, the sunshine, the clean and cheap places to live, and just about everything. I have never had a bad day here which was in any way caused by where I am, no, just the opposite. This place is a boost to anyone's spirits and outlook on life.

I cannot say enough positive, and the people I told had already heard from many others that CM is special.

I just wish the libraries were bigger, and also that they were easier to use, with all books easily borrowable.

Now whenever I talk to anyone I left behind, I just don't tell them how good it is, because I don't want them to feel too sorry for themselves that they did not come with me.

• Like 1

I made the move at 55 retired early sold everything and left . Everyone knew my plans and said " You ll never do it . Son pictched a fit , ex wife tried all kinds of crazy crap ... Within 60 days I sold all my houses and property what I didnt sell Good Will got . 15 days before my retirement date I landed in Bangkok . My Thai wife my dog and four suit cases and a pocket full of money . Will I ever go back for a visit ??? Not sure ... Do I miss the USA ...... NO ... Do I wish I brought more than four suit cases YES ....

Interesting reading about everyone's experiences. I'm still debating about retirement there in the future. I'm 50 now, maybe in 8 years or so. I'll see how the LOS handles itself over the next few years before making a final decision

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

They mostly said they wish they were coming as well and what a great time I was bound to have.

Same for me, but that was before it became common knowledge that the place is crawling with beautiful young hookers who will satisfy a man for the price of a pack of cigarettes. I think they became a little suspicious when it came out.

before it became common knowledge that the place is crawling with beautiful young hookers who will satisfy a man for the price of a pack of cigarettes.

Jeez oh gramps, its 2013 not 1973.

A pack of cigarettes, SMS about 38 baht per pack, Krungthip about 60 baht, LM about 70 baht, Marlboro about 90 baht.

Look forward to hearing of anyplace in Thailand that is crawling with beautiful young hookers willing to satisfy a man for that price.

Might be a carton now.-coffee1.gif ..

• Like 1

Almost everyone (friends and relatives) thought I was totally nuts. They said things like, "at your age?, don't they have huge insects and cobras and dragon lizards and on and on, you're gonna die, don't call us to pay for your trip home, and my favorite....why would you want to live in a communist country like Taiwan?"

• Like 1

My real friends wished me all the best. Others just shook their head and one actually said he would never speak to me again if I left my daughter behind (14). My family understood and keep contact.

I think when someone puts up there hand to pay my bills then they deserve the right to have a say.

I retired here at 50 last year.

I have a wife and a young son. They are my life now and living here gives me a better chance to provide for us comfortably, much more than I could in Australia.

My choice to retire was bought about by the actions of a few who sought to ruin my career and my life. I'm here while they are still living the status quo which made them bitter and twisted. Last laugh!

Will I return? The jury is still out because my son has dual citizenship and he is only 3 and I think an Australian education could benefit him.

But the cost of living there coupled with over regulation of the country doesn't appeal.

As I said the jury is still out. My daughter has been here several times before and after my retirement and her future is important and I have that financially mapped out.

I have no regrets in making the move. I think I am very fortunate and wish my real friends the best as they did to me.

The main comment it got was 'living the dream'.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by wonder6281

I retired (62 years old) in march 2012 from the California, USA moved to Pattaya the same month with my Thai wife and child. Moved back in August 2012 due to bacteria infection and surgery in Thailand. also had automobile accident with motor bike. Family was quite and wished good luck when I left although my sister said to store everything in storage instead of moving the whole household goods.I moved all of our posessions. Too humid, Too much traffic, too much corruption, roads needing updating, street and restaurant food not clean. Now I just visit once a year to see inlaws..

Interesting reading about everyone's experiences. I'm still debating about retirement there in the future. I'm 50 now, maybe in 8 years or so. I'll see how the LOS handles itself over the next few years before making a final decision

Nothing is going to change.

Go for it or not, but choose carefully where exactly you want to live in Thailand.

I didn't even know where I would end up when I left to wonder but I think most thought I would move back to the states some day...11 years later still here. A few have come to visit and one even stayed for a year but when I went back three years ago to visit for a month nobody even ask me anything about Thailand. They seemed to have no interest, acted like I had never left and were just into what's going on in their own world.

Same in the UK too.

Go to the pub and it's "ain't seen you for a while", as in 3-4 years, "where you been?"

"Living in Thailand now" and no interest, back to talking about football or complaining about the government.

Only thing is the beers are good.

Most of my men friends said "What do you want to go to that shit hole for?" Their ignorance is my bliss.

I told the ladies that I wasn't into fat birds, over worked mouths and varicose veins. That made me popular NOT. I explained that although I had been a supporter of equal pay and opportunities I was totally disillusioned with the misapplication of the freedoms that ladies now enjoyed. Life was more fun when ladies canoodled, cajoled and made with the little girl voice to achieve their ends rather than stridently demanding things.

Gimme eastern trimmin' where women are women

In high silk hose and peek-a-boo clothes

And French perfume that rocks the room

And they'll be mine in buttons and bows.

Right on Bro'

• Like 1

As a gay man, and not close to my Christian siblings, they didn't say much. I assume they thought I had pedophile leanings. fell in love with a 49 year old guy. I am 54. Thailand is a great place to live and love.

Not my scene at all but good luck for you.

Amazing amount of people think that being gay is the same as being a pedophile, I have gay friends and they would be very hurt to be classed the same as a pedophile, most pedophiles are straight hetros but have a thing for kids and the only cure is castration with a knife or two bricks not chemical

My thoughts exactly, but make it a rusty and blunt knife.

I am not inclined whatsoever, happily married, but have several Thai friends who are very camp and always good value.

The real gays seem to be very hard core, and I'm not talking Katoeys. They seem to spend a lot of time at the gym.

Oh, to stay on topic, I moved here age 60 but had lived working and spent much time here before.

First time, second time, third time and after all the good stories i told about Thailand my mother said..."When you come back from Pakistan (never been there) bring me a Budda statue!"

Since then my brothers, my cousins and few friends have discovered in person what i was talking about.

Just don't debate too long.

Thailand will continue to handle itself as well as it always has during the past few hundreds of years.

Don't worry about that,

Just worry about the fact that we have a finite number of hear beats in this life,

And yours are tick-tocking away as we speak.

Drop everything and hop on Thai Air tomorrow is the only sensible course of action for you,

IMHO.

• Like 1

I retired at 64 and moved to Chiang Mai. I've been back for three short visits, and each time felt the gulf widen between self and family & friends, Two old sayings are true:

• You can't go home again.
  • Out of sight, out of mind.

This is home now, and anyone back there who cares can come see me here.

Just don't look homeward, Angel.

I never do.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1