Manny Pacquiao's latest fight

Did anyone watch Manny Pacquiao's latest fight against Brandon Rios Thai 7 today (24/11/13)? What a boxer this filipino is, and fully deserving of all the recognition he gets.It was so one sided,that the judges were unanimous in their decision,and rightly so.

Not only a great boxer,but a lovely guy also,who has promised to donate the full purse of this fight,to the poor victims of the Phillipine typhoon.God bless him.

I wonder if Floyd"the money"Mayweather jr,will now step up to the plate and fight Manny as it's the fight the public want too see most,or will he continue to make up excuses and run scared as he has done in the past?

I'd appreciate your views.

Isn't Pacquiao slightly past his best? Great guy and certainly comes across as a much nicer character than Mayweather but at the end of the day no ones beating the american unless he is at the peak of his career which Manny isn't, and i'd hate to see him lose to Mayweather and i think he would.

Okay. Since you say you'd appreciate other views, I'll bite.

Pac just woke up from being put to sleep by Wan Manuel Marquez, a terrific boxer whom FM beat with no problem. Floyd won every round and made WMM look like an armature. Floyd does everything better than Marquez. It is not logical to think that Maywether is afraid on Pac.

Pac beat Rios, a guy that was tough but tailor made for his style of fighting. He got a chance to relive the day he beat up on Margarito, another slow, come forward brawler. To put him in with a pure boxer like Floyd would be the end of Bob Arum's gravy train. Pac doesn't decide who he fights. He has a boss and his name is Bob.

You say Mayweather has been running from Pac but what about the original offer to fight for a 50 50 purse. Pac got everything he wanted in negotiations. Floyd wanted 1 thing and Arum refused. Said Pac's afraid of needles. Now he's supposedly willing to take the test that he wouldn't take then because his shelf life is almost up and Arum knows it.

If the fight happened I'd watch it. But if it doesn't I don't care much. I don't want to see the little fella get beat down. He seems to be a nice guy. But that's another story.

• Like 2

I would say on the analysis that Mayweather is (much as I hate to say this on a personal level) in a different class from any other boxer around this weight including Pacquiao.

He is the complete package. he does not lose concentration, he does not make a mistake more than once, he reads and then responds. He is not the most exciting boxer to watch for a non boxer, but for a study of the sweet science he is amazing at what he does. His style means he ages more slowly; similar to Bernard Hopkins...but better.

Styles make fights; in the case of Pacquiao, Mayweather likes a guy coming onto him, but he seemed to struggle a little against some other lefties, including Zab Judah, at least early on until he got a read on them then it was all over. Against a smaller man, I can see he would do what he did to Mosley; he'd be leaning all over him, pushing that elbow into his face, grinding him down; giving him very few opportunities, and gradually just building up a lead then leading the other fighter to accept a loss or open up like Hatton and then that's it.

We can look at Vargas, Mosley, Marguerito, Peterson, or in the heavier weights Toney, Holyfield; there are doubts about JMM; steroids and EPO usage are quite common now in proboxing especially in countries with no controls on them (Thailand Mexico, Philipines); and the testing regime of the fight commissions is inadequate to catch a user anyhow.

You can certainly understand that it is highly unusual a boxer could pack on so much muscle (Pacquiao carries basically no fat) in a fairly short period of time; not that it is impossible, just that almost no one else has done it as an adult. To look like that at his age is pretty incredible, and most of these pro boxers in the lightweight - middle weight range train ALL the time, so it's not his work ethic alone; it's either genetics + doping, or frigging amazing genetics alone. Either way, if you were Mayweather would you want to do anything other than show up knowing it was a level playing field?

Have a look back at the physiques of champs 15 years ago, the effects of whatever they are doing differently (not the training bit, the diet, the supplements, and then some in many proven cases) and it is clear that the crazy cuts and physicality of today's fighters is something a step beyond the Sugar Ray Leonard era.

I can't see the problem with the doping testing - it's there to keep honest people honest. I hope to god Pacquiao is clean and believe he probably is, but many said that about Armstrong. And Mosley. And Countless others.

I suspect a huge part of it is the Arum effect, holding his fighter since it's a (from memory) goldenboy/TMM/showtime deal with Mayweather, and Pacquiao is on HBO/Arum/top rank and Arum, I really think if there was a deal going to happen, either side is just as much to blame for stopping it, but the media circus around it is simply crazy.

With Mosley dropping off the radar now and probably looking to retire, and both Pacquiao and Mayweather only around another 2 years/4 fights at the most, I'd say the next superstar won't be Broner, it might be a guy called Adonis Stevenson; that dude is a frigging southpaw BEAST except has one of the dirtiest histories preboxing. Once the Russians check out of heavyweight division, who knows maybe something will fire up there.

Anything to escape MMA. Yuck!