US Consulate CM - 3 week wait for a notarial appointment, really?

dbk2322

I tried to get a on-line appointment to go in and register a birth abroad and there was no opening at all, looked thru all of 2014. I spoke with the Consulate General on Saturday and he said he would look into it and get back to me. I'm happy to share his response if you are interested.

In recent years, notarial services usually have a wait of just a week or two. The problem you're running into is that the service is offered just on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the consulate is closed on both U.S. and Thai holidays. Nov 28 Is Thanksgiving, December 5 is the King's Birthday, December 10 is Constitution Day -- all fall on either a Tuesday or Thursday. At least the appointment system does show appointments available if you're able to wait that long.

That explains the longer-than-normal wait for notarial services. As for registering a birth abroad -- that problem seems to be more serious and well worth an inquiry with the Consul-General since there doesn't seem to be any way to book a time at all! Every appointment is booked.

• Like 1

Maybe it is just this time of year that there are problems getting in. 4 years ago around this time of year, we needed papers notarized and we ran into the same problem. We called, but they could not help us. We did call CM consulate and they couldn't help us. We flew into Bangkok to get it done.

I always book my appointment a month ahead to get my income letter. On Nov 10th there were enough open appointments Nov 26 and Dec 12. I just checked the web site and there are 39 open slots for the 2 available days in December. Jan 2 has 26. I am not sure yet they haven't mademore of January available yet. I believe you can reserve an appointment up to 60 days.

If you are just an ordinary American, you can expect them to do little or nothing for you, and charge you a lot of money and time to do it.

Frank, I think that "ordinary" citizens of all countries would say the same thing about their consulates and embassies. But, as an ordinary American, if you became seriously ill, died or were arrested, I think you and/or your family would find that the American consulate does much more, with kindness and consideration, than most other consulates and embassies in Thailand. I've had first-hand experience in seeing how consulates/embassies assist dozens of expats in need and I'm very, very glad I'm an American.

• Like 1

If you are just an ordinary American, you can expect them to do little or nothing for you, and charge you a lot of money and time to do it.

Frank, I think that "ordinary" citizens of all countries would say the same thing about their consulates and embassies. But, as an ordinary American, if you became seriously ill, died or were arrested, I think you and/or your family would find that the American consulate does much more, with kindness and consideration, than most other consulates and embassies in Thailand. I've had first-hand experience in seeing how consulates/embassies assist dozens of expats in need and I'm very, very glad I'm an American.

To quote Rick from Casablanca, "For a price, Ugarte. For a price." Not always a direct charge but definitely at a price.

David

Edited by Genericnic

I always book my appointment a month ahead to get my income letter. On Nov 10th there were enough open appointments Nov 26 and Dec 12. I just checked the web site and there are 39 open slots for the 2 available days in December. Jan 2 has 26. I am not sure yet they haven't mademore of January available yet. I believe you can reserve an appointment up to 60 days.

We needed papers notarized for sale of property in the states. The timing was unpredictable and we didn't think the buyers would wait 3 additional weeks for our papers to get notarized. If it is something that could be planned then sure get an appointment ahead of time. We just had no control of that timing so we took the alternative - Bangkok.

This post inspired me to book an on line appointment to renew my passport.........thanks, as there were only 2 days available in Dec and I got mine just in time it seems. The worst thing about the 'new and improved' Consulate is that you can't speak with a human unless it is an extreme emergency. Years past, you could easily find a friendly human to speak with.

I won't even complain about the new fees for a passport @ $110.

• Like 1

Thanks for,this notification . I have never had a problem getting an appointment a few days out. Wow! I was lucky to get one for the 26 of dec. unfortunately my annual visa renewal appointment is on the 19 th. Anybody want to trade? Can I use the bank letter ONLY instead of the " stated income" letter from the embassy? . I do monthly allowances into my bank that exceed the nessasary amount.

Awaiting a reply and hopefully someone will trade dates with me. I really like to have both the embassy letter and the bank letter for CYA purposes.

I realize that it's a big inconvenience, but if you really have to have the services sooner than you can get in CM you can travel to the Embassy in Bangkok. As of this posting there are still 91 openings for services on the three days that they are open during the first week of December.

Edited by wayned

I realize that it's a big inconvenience, but if you really have to have the services sooner than you can get in CM you can travel to the Embassy in Bangkok. As of this posting there are still 91 openings for services on the three days that they are open during the first week of December.

Thanks, plan B always a good idea.

I wish this thread had never been started. Frank, you are so very right.

The State Department employees will tell you they are here to represent the United States and its interests. Sadly Americans living or travelling here or in any other country are not considered interests. Unless you are the daughter of Bill Gates, a congressman or Wall Street guru. (but this is not exclusive to just the US, I know)

What this agnecy lacks is good PR and community liason. How difficult or costly would it had been to organize a "Welcome New US Consul" to Chiang Mai - a meet and greet for Americans? There was one... only a select few.

If you do get into trouble they can only provide you with a list of names but never a recommendation. They cannot assist an American in trouble (by congressional mandate) and will also tell you that... other than a mandatory monthly visit to a jail and perhaps send an email to contact your family in the US.

When the 2004 tsunami hit Phuket they were no where to be found... Christmas holidays was the excuse. One US Embassy in Bangkok on holiday in Phuket took the initiative to attempt and help stranded and injured Americans - for her kind act - she was reprimanded and several years later finally commended for her duties.

The consular fees charged are imposed to make it sustainable. The State department's budget only pays for staff salary and benefits, i.e. US taxpayer.

So unless you are in their database under "prominent US residents" take a number and best of luck.

I will say that every time I have gone there, they have been friendly enough, and professional, and very businesslike. But if I did get jammed up here, legally or medically, I would be every surprised if any help was forthcoming from them. Wouldn't it be cool if they had an open house once in a while? I'd love to meet my local reps for CIA, DEA, CPB, FBI, and maybe even NSA. That fortress takes up a whole city block, reminds me of the Tom Waits song,..... What's He Building in There?

I believe that some of the above posts is too bitter and self-centered. On thing that I can certainly agree with is the bewildering policy of country diplomatic missions to observe not only local official holidays but all the holidays of their home country. I find that rather absurd. I would suggest a corollary of the the old saw, "When in Rome…"…observe Roman holidays! That, after all, would seem very logical for business, and --- if one is a national civil servant abroad, little cost to pay for the privilege and responsibilities of such an assignment. otherwise, get a career that keeps you next to the mother country's bosom.

I have had so many numerous dealings with so many consulates that I can not remember how many, but one thing with which I find very easy agreement is, as NancyL put it, is that Americans are very, very fortunate here in Chiang Mai. Part of that is due to the strong interests of the US government in Northern Thailand. Part of it is due to the number of Americans in Northern Thailand. And the USA happens to be much richer and thus able to provide certain government services better than others.

One thing that people focused on their personal concerns seem to forget is that consular services are extended services and benefits (Away from the home country) that often go far beyond simply securing the safety and legal security/fair treatment of citizens abroad, That, of course, is an expensive proposition for any government to provide. And it is for their security and fair treatment under host country laws --- not their comfort --- that their governments are responsible. If a person lives in Rome, it was his choice, and he should take on the responsibilities and privileges of being there and not carp about a lack of personal service which would be provided had he remained home.

Edited by Mapguy

I will say that every time I have gone there, they have been friendly enough, and professional, and very businesslike. But if I did get jammed up here, legally or medically, I would be every surprised if any help was forthcoming from them. Wouldn't it be cool if they had an open house once in a while? I'd love to meet my local reps for CIA, DEA, CPB, FBI, and maybe even NSA. That fortress takes up a whole city block, reminds me of the Tom Waits song,..... What's He Building in There?

Indeed, it would be fun to know all the in's and out's. Hang out in the right drinking spots, and I am sure you will learn a lot more! tongue.png

Fortress? Yes, well it certainly looks like one, doesn't it? I do not mean to initiate a long political argument that certainly has no place on a forum about Chiang Mai, but , for whatever reasons, physical security has to be a necessary strong concern of the Americans (and local employees who work at such sites). Perhaps people should remember Benghazi (very recently), or Nairobi (not so many years ago), Tehran (many more years ago), or Beirut (many, many more years ago).

I will say, once again, that this is not an invitation for discussion of American foreign policy. It is just to describe what are some of the reasons for enhanced physical security of the consulate in Chiang Mai. This forum is not meant as a place for such a foreign affairs debate. wai.gif

Indeed, it would be fun to know all the in's and out's. Hang out in the right drinking spots, and I am sure you will learn a lot more! tongue.png

There was one consulate member who was a regular at Spotlight. Seemed to be popular so guess the girls were pumping him for information. biggrin.png

And to the OP, thanks for bringing this information on delays to our attention. Wouldn't have suspected it as the last time I could get appointments just a day or two before. But that was quite a while ago for a new passport which will be up for renewal next year.

• Like 1

This post inspired me to book an on line appointment to renew my passport.........thanks, as there were only 2 days available in Dec and I got mine just in time it seems. The worst thing about the 'new and improved' Consulate is that you can't speak with a human unless it is an extreme emergency. Years past, you could easily find a friendly human to speak with.

and now they charge $80 just to get extra pages...

...used to be free >_<

Tywalis gets it! clap2.gif

And maybe some staff are fools enough to go to places more innocent than that. I recall a news story about an American agent on an advance party for the protection of the US president's imminent visit being cheap charlie with a whore he invited to his room in a South American capital not long ago about a different in the fee. So, for USD20, an international incident !!!! rolleyes.gif

and now they charge $80 just to get extra pages...

...used to be free >_<

Poor baby! Yes, jaideeguy, your nom de plume probably says everything there is to appreciate you. How much time do they have to listen to people like you every day? And that goes for any consulate of any country anywhere which has to deal with self-centered, demanding people who have chosen on their own to live in other places and expected to have their governments follow them carrying nappies!

Edited by Mapguy

Thanks to all who commented. As BB1955 mentioned, it is possible to discuss your situation with the consulate if you need an earlier date. In my case I mulled it over and emailed them at the 'acschn' address on their appointment info page. They were able to fit me in based on what I told them.

I was there yesterday (Tues) at 0830. I went to the end of the queue and it didn't take long, even so. Pretty fast and efficient. Met some interesting fellow expats, and I do mean that in the nicest possible way smile.png

One guy from Nong Hoi down the road from me, long time China resident - meant to get your email so if you're reading this, drop me a line!

Edited by dbk2322

I got lucky today, called my U.S. bank to wire transfer some $ for my 800k ext. o' stay....sorry, no can do, new policy, we need an address of your physical location as your old location is no longer valid, must be changed in person, !!! I told them I am on the other side of the world... what to do, they said i can send a notorized letter stating my new location and then they can proceed. I looked on line and saw there was no opening for consular service in the near future so I ran over to the fortress, they did my doc., very little waiting, not even a normal day for that but they happened to be there for some reason, I was lucky, they said they will close tomorrow for a week.

• Like 1

Good for you... That was really nice of them!

Umm. What bank in the U.S?

tis a credit union so not quite the same as a big bank, they also changed the max of a swift/wire transfer to $5000. ($40. fee) so $80. to transfer $10,000 in two transactions !angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif with the cost of the notary ($50), sending the doc. fedex (+or- $35) tranfer fee ($80) ...... an expensive transaction that used to cost $40 and take 10 minutes on the phone. facepalm.gif

I ran into the same problem . I needed a affidavit letter prior to the 7th of DEc everything was booked solid. I emailed them and they got me right in . I have found them to be very helpful . But if you dont ask you wont get ...

I've tried twice now. All I get is a auto reply with links that lead to " file note found". I even used the email you pm'd me with. SOOL I guess!

Talk to your credit union to see if you can do an interbank transfer to Bangkok Bank's NYC branch -- assuming you have an account at any Bangkok Bank branch here. That's what I did after our credit union reduced the max they'd permit for a wire transfer. Should have done it a long time ago. There are instructions on how to do it on the Bangkok Bank website -- with the NYC branch routing number, and your local Bangkok Bank account number, etc. All it took was a phone call to the U.S. credit union to figure out how to make their internet banking work to make a bank-to-bank transfer.

Edited by NancyL