Briton victim of armed street robbery in South Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember not so long ago when you could walk around Pattaya at any time of the day or night and never have any trouble at all. It all seems to have gone downhill since the arrival of the Russians and family tourism generally, and the attempts to reduce prostitution and "clean up the town". Not sure why. Possibly because young Thais can no longer earn a good living short-timing and have to turn to stealing instead. Or maybe it's all the consumerism.

None of which accounts for the crass stupidity of wandering around anywhere at 4am with 10KB in cash and a fancy gold ring and a fancy phone.

One more day in Pattaya: One german drugged and robbed, one brit robbed on the street. It's time to boycott Thailand an go to saver places. As will do it the Russians.

Try the Phillipines - you'll never go anywhere else.

Safer ? The Philippines - cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You're having a laugh aren't you?

If you can't even walk around safely in the early hours of the morning near Soi Bukow- then things are getting desperatesad.png

You seem to have not around for only a short

time

5-7 years ago Soi 15 was the darkest and quiet Soi's in South Pattaya

With all the new hotel and Condos building there and the Avenue shopping centre it has become very safe

so Soi 15 is 100 time safer toder than it was a short time ago

so not so desperate is it

I live on this Soi and walk along iy every nigh and feel very safe

I think this was a robbery at oppertunity

any one walking down this Soi at this time of the morning with expensive Gold is asking for problem even on Beach Rd

Why don't most of you get you silly Ex Pat heads out of the clouds and understand that these people are tourists and he may have been doing this here for years without incident. You all make me sick tagging people and trying to somehow put the blame on the victim just because he is out late. Is it because you are jealous he is holidaying and you lot have to be up for work for your $1000 dollar per month wages, living a life like a Thai, or you lot who cant afford to experience late night entertainment because the exchange rate is still crappy and you are still on egg rice and your cheap afternoon charlie bars with your pensions. Fact remains he is in a tourist destination and these incidents are increasing faster than the city is growing. Get your heads down and concentrate on the cause and not the end product.

Tend to agree with most of your rant but the same problem is in Manchester, London or any other major conurbation that attracts the lowest of low lifes including elderly Ex Pats on the razzle who possibly at their age should understand that at that time in the morning especially in Pattaya or any other major tourist attraction, if they are without any backup then they are at great risk of being robbed!

I think that the best bit of advice I have heard recently from a well experienced and sensible old monger is that you should always "Pair up " with a mate for maximum safety.

You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink!

The missing line above is.

Police will check CCTV in the area as they attempt to identify the assailants and arrest them as soon as possible before they are able to strike again.

But I think it is too late......... getting dangerous out there. Couldn't have been far from the entrance to the Mercure Hotel.

4AM and drunk is not a good deal any place. Gold and cash are too big a challenge for the ganster to ignore.

leave the bling and main cash at home, get a cheap phone for nights on the piss. Dont argue with the robbers, just hand over the few thousand baht and get some sleep

• Like 1

Why don't most of you get you silly Ex Pat heads out of the clouds and understand that these people are tourists and he may have been doing this here for years without incident. You all make me sick tagging people and trying to somehow put the blame on the victim just because he is out late. Is it because you are jealous he is holidaying and you lot have to be up for work for your $1000 dollar per month wages, living a life like a Thai, or you lot who cant afford to experience late night entertainment because the exchange rate is still crappy and you are still on egg rice and your cheap afternoon charlie bars with your pensions. Fact remains he is in a tourist destination and these incidents are increasing faster than the city is growing. Get your heads down and concentrate on the cause and not the end product.

It's not often I refute another members post, but, on this occasion, with yours, I'll make an exception.

The sweeping generalisations you make are breathtaking by their ignorance.

What you write says more about you, then the good folk here.

I'm sure there are a few more stereotypes you haven't trotted out ... but not many ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Police will check CCTV in the area as they attempt to identify the assailants and arrest them as soon as possible before they are able to strike again.

But I think it is too late......... getting dangerous out there. Couldn't have been far from the entrance to the Mercure Hotel.

4AM and drunk is not a good deal any place. Gold and cash are too big a challenge for the ganster to ignore.

Was he drunk??? Crooks don't just attack drunks. So many always assume that if a foreigner is attacked or robbed then they are automatically drunk.

No he was not drunk for sure since drinking water and sodas the whole night are the rules in most bars tongue.png

Sorry like it or not at 4am 99% of the tourist walking in the streets are intoxicated indeed...OK OK, maybe he was in te 1%,left wink.png

By the way I never said it was an excuse for its attackers...of course not...but walking alone in the streets of London Paris Rome whatever, tipsy at 4am is very very dangerous too nowadays. Some does not care and found themselves in the news, dotwai.gif

Time foreign minister issues a 10pm curfew for all tourists that would stop the early morning robberies murders and beating of tourists and help uphold Thailand’s good much respected name regarding tourist’s safety on its streets.

Walking alone on a street at 4:30am would make you a target even to an opportunist thief, almost anywhere in the world.

I suggest that if this gentleman likes to stay out late & party then he should get a taxi home to his front door!

Usual story of valuables in your pocket but brains elsewhere!

One more day in Pattaya: One german drugged and robbed, one brit robbed on the street. It's time to boycott Thailand an go to saver places. As will do it the Russians.

Safer ? The Philippines - cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, we need that sarcasm icon - we need it bad.

If you can't even walk around safely in the early hours of the morning near Soi Bukow- then things are getting desperatesad.png

Yes, in an ideal world walking the streets at any time would be safe. However, the world is far from ideal and at 4:30 am it's far more likely any walker will appear as a target to nefarious types.

Showing my prudishness perhaps,, at 58 years old maybe the victim should have been 'tucked up' in bed a few hours prior. On the other hand was he an early riser anticipating a glorious sunrise !!!

I suspect he wouldn't be walking around 'flush' with money and valuables, if he were back home in UK. As always, it pays to exercise a bit of common sense.

I suspect he wouldn't be walking around 'flush' with money and valuables, if he were back home in UK. As always, it pays to exercise a bit of common sense.

200 quid and a ring and phone. Not sure where you're from in England, but that's really not a big deal. You can easily spend 200 quid in a night and the ring doesn't need to be much for a 500 quid valuation? And if he's here on his hols, whats up with 4.30? Just cos most folks on here are resident, probably have been for years, and take a more sedate attitude to whats not available to a man like him when he's back home.Leave him alone and I hope they get the <deleted> that robbed him too.

• Like 1

I remember not so long ago when you could walk around Pattaya at any time of the day or night and never have any trouble at all. It all seems to have gone downhill since the arrival of the Russians and family tourism generally, and the attempts to reduce prostitution and "clean up the town". Not sure why. Possibly because young Thais can no longer earn a good living short-timing and have to turn to stealing instead. Or maybe it's all the consumerism.

None of which accounts for the crass stupidity of wandering around anywhere at 4am with 10KB in cash and a fancy gold ring and a fancy phone.

Then, of course, there's the crass stupidity of a post like yours. He wasn't "wandering around", he was walking back to his hotel; where did the report say he was wearing a "fancy" gold ring and carrying a "fancy" phone? Nowhere, only in your weird imagination.

• Like 1

10.000 baht less exaggeration was 2000 baht.

Gold ring was a fake bought off Jomtien Beach.

Samsung Smartphone was infact a 2001 Nokia 3210.

It's an insurance fiddle cheesy.gif

That was so funny. You really deserve the hilarious laughing icon you awarded yourself.

Yeah, we need that sarcasm icon - we need it bad.

The Philippines Valhalla?! I lived there 5 years, was glad to leave and have never been back. The only place in the world anyone has tried....and failed....to mug me, Manila, Pasay at 10pm. Always felt safer in TL and where I live now.

Guys,

This is not the Pattaya, where you can walk alone at 4,30 am.

You have to recognize it, or if you are not willing to do it, you have to pay the price like this.

The majority of expats may know this but what about the tourist that just got of the plane. He has seen all the promotional material put out by TAT depicting Thailand as a whole as a land of beautiful smiling friendly people. Beautiful clean waters and beaches and he believes that this is actually Thailand. Maybe TAT should give warnings for tourists not to venture out after sunset.

Agree with you Chooka but ...

Maybe TAT should give warnings for tourists not to venture out after sunset.

Can't see it somehow,