Pheu Thai party to file rebellion charge against constitutional court judges

webfact

It's getting absurd even by Thai politics standards. Give Tarit a week and he'll ramp up the charges to 'murder' then ask the courts to rule against themselves. It's quite unclear to me if the DSI has a mandate to accept the case so the Dems can sue the DSI for taking on the case and the courts can refuse to accept judgment because they don't think the charter empowers DSI to rule.

It is under the Ministry of Justice so it would have a mandate. For sure, it would be hard to argue in court that it didn't have a mandate.

We may well be watching democracy in Thailand implode.

Surely the Thaksin family is not this dumb!

has anyone ever thought that MAYBE they are just doing all of this 'on purpose' ?

they seem to be doing everything possible to anger almost everyone!

maybe there is something BIG to gain from this upcoming protest demonstration ?

if they are kicked out of government, maybe something is to be gained ?

I know it sounds crazy... but really,, 5 years down the line,,, maybe we can look back and realize it was all just "played out" exactly how they wanted it.

• Like 1

...and then it will be the Dems filing that the DSI has no jurisdiction over the Constitutional Court - and so on.

As the Reds said after the last election, "you lost - get over it!"

They also said "we've won, we're in power and can do what we want now". They've certainly being doing that all right.

Shame they can't be arsed to follow the rules, the laws, the procedures on even tell the truth. Then they and the country might not be in this mess.

What a joke.

How can you sue judges?

Indeed, and just who do they suggest has the power and authority to make legal decisions if not the courts....?!

What a bunch of clowns they have amassed to run this "government"; it will be a real blessing to see it all collapse around them in the coming days...!

It could be that at the core of this issue is that the Pheu Thai believe that democracy means that the majority party in parliament can do anything it wants and that anything they do cannot be illegal. In the west (and the democrats here?) it's generally accepted that the rule of law is an important balance. It seems logical that the Constitutional Court rule on Constitutional issues. Of course it's also possible to disagree with their decisions. The easy course is to ensure that changes to the constitution are constitutional and if not, then go all the way through the referendum process so that it is constitutional. Of course the referendum would have to be conducted properly (however that is defined). It seems to me that the Pheu Thai are also trying to wiggle about the issue of having MP's illegally voting for other MP's. Of course I expect little from politicians.

If they actually read the constitution, understood what they read, and incrementally made small changes in 100% constitutionally mandated fashion, they would not be in this mess. But their Liege Lord is not one to follow the rules, but to bull ahead as fast as he thinks he can do it. Which has serially proved to be not as fast as he thinks.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Nice to see that the government are true to their word regarding not persuing the constitutional changes any further! Now it's rebellion tomorrow it will be treason, and then if they succeed in these attempts it wiil be dictatorship!

Summary of current Thai political system: When I don't get what I want I will beat my chest & scream, have some protests, and then file a police complaint against or sue my enemies in court....this should make my current follows think that is the right approach and will fix things...my follows will then be happy for a while longer and they will continue to follow me. This is also sometimes referred to as the Pied Piper approach.

Oh yea, during all of these political battles the people & country are losing the war to move the country forward and make a better life for the Thai people. TIT

PTP - the very incarnation of Violet Elizabeth Bott.

"I'll thcream and thcream 'till I'm thick"

They made me sick many moons ago.

So it's rebellion to not rubber-stamp government legislation that is not in accordance with the law. I would have thought that in a democracy - tho' I would argue that Thailand is a plutocracy with a facade of democratic institutions - the Government must obey the law rather than BE the law.

Surely the Thaksin family is not this dumb!

has anyone ever thought that MAYBE they are just doing all of this 'on purpose' ?

they seem to be doing everything possible to anger almost everyone!

maybe there is something BIG to gain from this upcoming protest demonstration ?

if they are kicked out of government, maybe something is to be gained ?

I know it sounds crazy... but really,, 5 years down the line,,, maybe we can look back and realize it was all just "played out" exactly how they wanted it.

I recall the 1997 crises, which made many people, including Thaksin rich.

I don't know what he can gain from this, but if kicked out he can portray himself as victim again.

If they actually read the constitution, understood what they read, and incrementally made small changes in 100% constitutionally mandated fashion, they would not be in this mess. But their Liege Lord is not one to follow the rules, but to bull ahead as fast as he thinks he can do it. Which has serially proved to be not as fast as he thinks.

yes but with incremental small changes how would Thaksin get the money back?

• Like 1

It should never have got to this stage. The ruling itself should have been delayed until it was established whether or not it would be legally appropriate.

You are right, it should never have got to this stage, simply because, unless Thai democracy is very different, in a democracy a government does NOT have the power to change the constitution, it can table/recommend changes then it MUST be voted on, by the people.

It's getting absurd even by Thai politics standards. Give Tarit a week and he'll ramp up the charges to 'murder' then ask the courts to rule against themselves. It's quite unclear to me if the DSI has a mandate to accept the case so the Dems can sue the DSI for taking on the case and the courts can refuse to accept judgment because they don't think the charter empowers DSI to rule.

I also believe the Dems could have Tarit charged with, what appears to be, intimidating the Judges of the Constitutional Court.

Seeing that the DSI is in the PTP pocket, those judges are going to be found guilty!

And they'll also link it abhisit to boot!

Either you don't understand or you are not thinking clearly. Abhisit is not at issue in this particular matter.