Defective Car window film removal

JimSiam

The window tint on my car is starting to ripple and in some places lift, what is the best way to remove it, using a heat gun on the windscreen i feel will crack the laminated glass.

Do shops charge extra for removal and replaces as opposed to just installing.

I have had the original window film put on when the car was new from Ford taken off and a lighter film put on,the price quoted was done on the phone beforehand as if priced to film new glass,the shop didn't charge any extra than the quoted price when I turned up with film already on the glass.so I would think if they do charge extra it will be a small amount..

Do make sure whichever shop does it that they cover the interior plastic well,as whatever they sprayed on the window to clean it before fitting the new film actually burnt a mark on the dashboard of my car..

I have had the original window film put on when the car was new from Ford taken off and a lighter film put on,the price quoted was done on the phone beforehand as if priced to film new glass,the shop didn't charge any extra than the quoted price when I turned up with film already on the glass.so I would think if they do charge extra it will be a small amount..

Do make sure whichever shop does it that they cover the interior plastic well,as whatever they sprayed on the window to clean it before fitting the new film actually burnt a mark on the dashboard of my car..

Sounds like they used what i read as the ammonia method of removal.

Will check out the shop down the road and see what they quote, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Took it to a shop, they quoted 2,500 for Hi Kool and 3,500 for Master Tint (which the samples look a lot better), they didnt have Lumina, So They used Master tint and didnt charge for the removal of the old Tint, the small shop is on Thepprasit just after Soi 10 heading towards the beach, they also service air conditioning. The whole job was done in 4 hours and looks great.

• Like 1

Just get a shop to do it. Yes, they will charge extra, but it won't be too much - a few hundred Baht maybe.

I don't know what they charged me, but I had old stuff removed and new lamina put all around for 4000 baht. Compare that with the hassle of removing it yourself - it's a no brainer.

• Like 1

There is no easy way to remove film. It can be done, but it's not a 5 minute, clean job.

We had the windscreen on out truck replaced a few months ago. The windscreen that was on it had no film because rather than look like a gangsta, I prefer to be able to see clearly at night. So Ford took it to an automotive glass installer and they very nicely installed film on it 'Flee!'. So the next thing Ford had to do was take it back to the fitter to get it removed. The guy finished late that day as they took a few hours taking the film off - I think they returned the car to us at about 7pm.

They're still too stupid to ask a customer what they might want. I had a namecard totally redesigned once without asking. They might've looked crap, but at least they were free...

• 5 months later...

Took it to a shop, they quoted 2,500 for Hi Kool and 3,500 for Master Tint (which the samples look a lot better), they didnt have Lumina, So They used Master tint and didnt charge for the removal of the old Tint, the small shop is on Thepprasit just after Soi 10 heading towards the beach, they also service air conditioning. The whole job was done in 4 hours and looks great.

Which shop ?

And are you happy with Master tint ? Never head anything about this brand.

Thanks.

Is it http://www.mastertint.com.au