Dental pain, antibiotics

rikki

I have a lot of pain in my teeth, I did see a dentist already, and took a course of Amoxicillin (5days already)

It still hurts a lot, maybe half the time.

I had an infection in the teeth and need root canal treatment

But now I need the pain to stop

The dentist told me that the antibiotic does not kill the pain, it kills the bacteria, and that the pain would increase then fade away after 3-5days. Is that right?

I was given Ibuprofen 400mg for the pain.

If the Amoxicillin does not work, (it did not work for me a few years ago)what antibiotic should I use?

How long does the antibiotic take to kill the pain?

If after 5 days abx the pain has not diminished then likely the abx did not eliminate the infection. A 5 day course is also rather short. But, one whould see a decrease of pain after about 3 days although it might take longer to fully stop.

Suggest you go back to the dentist or perhpas consutl a different one (being sure to bring any Xrays and give full history).

Go get the tooth pulp removed and you will do much much better, by the way that's the first step of a root canal.

Can I do that at one dentist, then finish treatment at another?

I understand it takes some time for things to settle down before the treatment is finished, and I may be out of thailand by then

Yes Rikki you can get the emergency pulp removal at one dentist and finish the root canal at another. Dentist will remove the pulp, clean/rinse inside the root and put the medication directly inside the root to kill the infection.

• Like 1

All the teeth in my mouth were hurting, to the extent that I stopped eating anything I had to chew. I then started rinsing after brushing with a 3% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide, after less than a week the pain became tolerable and after maybe 10 days it was gone. I now always rinse with Hydrogen Peroxide and can eat anything again. As a side effect my wife doesn't complain about my breath anymore and I think my teeth are whiter.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1