Anti-government protesters enter Thai finance ministry

webfact

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad bad move. You're now no better than the red thugs. I'd hoped some lessons had been learned, but I guess that was too much to hope for.

I don't think a peaceful occupation of a government building is anywhere near in the same league as the red shirts mate. They have not burned it down and are not filling it with weapons.

Lessons probably have been learned, hence the huge contrast between the two types of demonstrations.

Well, we will see. The 2010 protests started out peacefully also, but with Suthep riling everyone up, I think these "peaceful" occupations and protests could very easily turn into something much worse.

For this to go the full distance to oust the government, there is going to have to be a bit of violence. There is no way that Suthep can control everythign that everyone does, and there is always an escalation of emotion when things get tenser. That said, it maybe the only way for the protestors to get the whole attention of the government who appear to be playing deaf and dumb.

• Like 2

Bad bad move. You're now no better than the red thugs. I'd hoped some lessons had been learned, but I guess that was too much to hope for.

I don't think a peaceful occupation of a government building is anywhere near in the same league as the red shirts mate. They have not burned it down and are not filling it with weapons.

Lessons probably have been learned, hence the huge contrast between the two types of demonstrations.

Well, we will see. The 2010 protests started out peacefully also, but with Suthep riling everyone up, I think these "peaceful" occupations and protests could very easily turn into something much worse.

For this to go the full distance to oust the government, there is going to have to be a bit of violence. There is no way that Suthep can control everythign that everyone does, and there is always an escalation of emotion when things get tenser. That said, it maybe the only way for the protestors to get the whole attention of the government who appear to be playing deaf and dumb.

Couple that with the distinct possibility of agent provocateurs, and I see this becoming a huge mess before it's over. Coup time methinks in the not too distant future if the Govt continues to blatantly ignore the rule of law.

• Like 1

Most Thaivisa posters will no doubt be familiar with photojournalist Nick Nostitz. After Bluesky TV had a section devoted to him insisiting he works for the reds (total nonsense as we know), unfortunately it then appears Nick was assaulted (not sure how badly injured he is) after being singled out by a Democrat MP from the stage:

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Democrat MP Chumpon pointed him out from the protest stage calling him a "red shirt journalist" and urged the crowd to kick him out.

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Nick said it was seconds before the first fists hit him. He is filing charges and this rules out him covering the yellow protests

He also appears to have been singled out on the Blue SkyTV FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BLUESKYChannel/posts/406698986099538

Anyway, people complaining that the anti-govt protests are not receiving coverage. Well, they were on Channel 3 last night. It'd be understandable if Channel 3 were reluctant to show them again though after they apparently forced their way in and demanded that Sorrayuth blow a whistle and apologize...

Sunai @sunaibkk 49m

Getting disgusting! While Sorayuth urged for peaceful expression & respect for different opinions, protesters demanded him to apologize.

Sunai @sunaibkk 46m

Protesters demanding Sorayuth to blow a whistle, handed to him by Democrat politician. > #Intimidation

I agree. But then again, you won't have a very effective protest with nobody whipping up the crowd.

The 2010 problems came because of extreme violence, and orders to destroy bangkok from one who won't be named.

suthep has said they will win in 3 days. today was day one. what happens/what will the protesters do if they don't win in 3 days? just give up or continue (if they'd continue anyway, then why the 3 day forecast?). it's never good to make such forecasts... but it seems they are very popular in thailand (promise to solve a certain problem in a certain time - usually nothing happens).

or was that only 'encouragement for the troops'?

basically i agree with most reasons for the protests - buth with his past, suthep is maybe not the right person to lead them...

also, what do they want? the only really democratic thing would be dissolution of parliament and snap elections. which the opposition would very probably not be sure to win. and then we'd very fast just have the same scenario again as now.

violence or the miltary stepping in would not be any viable solutions.

same here, but even if the government falls (peacefully), what will come after? the best for thailand in the current condition might be an interim government of independent experts, not affiliated with any party and suspending elections for a few years. but who would select them?

the second-best option would be snap elections. but it would be far from sure that the same government would not emerge again - they still seem to have much support in thailand, espeially in the north and northeast. and then? maybe the demonstrations came too early to have a good chance to be successful?

and if the democrats win, then you'd have probably the reds all over bangkok again.

i guess there is only one virtually sure thing: it will get VERY interesting....

I'd love to see this government fall and held accountable for anything they've done but I'm not sure this is the way to go about it. It depends on what they do next as there's a risk of it becoming violent.

It would be interesting to see what the government would do if the protesters caused as much trouble as in 2010 but that wouldn't help those who live and work in Bangkok.

I'd love to see this government fall and held accountable for anything they've done but I'm not sure this is the way to go about it. It depends on what they do next as there's a risk of it becoming violent.

It would be interesting to see what the government would do if the protesters caused as much trouble as in 2010 but that wouldn't help those who live and work in Bangkok.

If it is right or wrong can be only told afterwards.

If they win peacefully whatever they did is right.

If a few people get hurt/killed but they win, than we can discuss forever if it was worth it and if Thaksin would have murdered much more or not.

If someone get killed and the government continues it was very very wrong.

But who can tell now. Sure is only that Suthep has his best in mind, lets hope he can win fast and without blood!

Hello H90,

come in H90, come in H90, H90 where are you, what planet please answer?

• Like 1

Hopefully the baht will take a nice depreciation drop.

wich will also be bad for Thailand, on wich side are you ??

If farang personages are truely only interested in the exchange rate against their pensions they should consider moving to Zimbabwe you will get a far better exchange rate

As a director of a Thai registered company, and am importer. I personally gain if the baht strengthens. But then again, I am not so selfish.

I just want what is best for the Thai people and the Thai economy and I will recoup my losses from a healthier consumer market.

Under this regime, no way will this country improve.

My English Programme Christmas play for P1-3 this year is 'The Three Little Pigs'....in the present political climate, it will either be a raging success or I will be lynched but most likely the parents will start brawling, with the kids wondering <deleted>....and I can make a timely getaway minus a re-entry permit (history repeats...on many levels).

• Like 1

Most Thaivisa posters will no doubt be familiar with photojournalist Nick Nostitz. After Bluesky TV had a section devoted to him insisiting he works for the reds (total nonsense as we know), unfortunately it then appears Nick was assaulted (not sure how badly injured he is) after being singled out by a Democrat MP from the stage:

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Democrat MP Chumpon pointed him out from the protest stage calling him a "red shirt journalist" and urged the crowd to kick him out.

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Nick said it was seconds before the first fists hit him. He is filing charges and this rules out him covering the yellow protests

He also appears to have been singled out on the Blue SkyTV FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BLUESKYChannel/posts/406698986099538

Anyway, people complaining that the anti-govt protests are not receiving coverage. Well, they were on Channel 3 last night. It'd be understandable if Channel 3 were reluctant to show them again though after they apparently forced their way in and demanded that Sorrayuth blow a whistle and apologize...

Sunai @sunaibkk 49m

Getting disgusting! While Sorayuth urged for peaceful expression & respect for different opinions, protesters demanded him to apologize.

Sunai @sunaibkk 46m

Protesters demanding Sorayuth to blow a whistle, handed to him by Democrat politician. > #Intimidation

Oh dear oh dear.

This has all the markings of an adversarial power struggle between two political groups who are at a point when they're now willing to do almost anything to keep the momentum. That is usually when a "deterioration effect" magnifies and both sides start making "bad" moves.

Not good..., for anyone.

• Like 1

Couple that with the distinct possibility of agent provocateurs, and I see this becoming a huge mess before it's over. Coup time methinks in the not too distant future if the Govt continues to blatantly ignore the rule of law.

The government isn't going to simply resign to keep the protestors happy. So something has to give to push it over the edge. There could be a negotiated settlement with the army, dems and PTP to remove certain people from PTP and form a govnerment i guess.

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Sunai @sunaibkk 49m

Sunai @sunaibkk 46m

I was very sorry to hear of this earlier today on twitter.An appalling incident (as was the intimidation of Sorayuth).I think it's worth recording that when Jonathan Head (BBC) brought Khun Korn's attention to the assault on Nick by thugs after being egged on by a Democrat MP, Korn acted very honourably and recorded his disgust at this thuggery, and undertook to get to the bottom of it.Good to know that there are at least a few gentlemen in the Democrat Party.

The government isn't going to simply resign to keep the protestors happy. So something has to give to push it over the edge. There could be a negotiated settlement with the army, dems and PTP to remove certain people from PTP and form a govnerment i guess.

I just don't see that happening unfortunately. Great if it did, but over and over again the Shins have shown that "compromise" is not a word they believe in.

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Sunai @sunaibkk 49m

Sunai @sunaibkk 46m

I was very sorry to hear of this earlier today on twitter.An appalling incident (as was the intimidation of Sorayuth).I think it's worth recording that when Jonathan Head (BBC) brought Khun Korn's attention to the assault on Nick by thugs after being egged on by a Democrat MP, Korn acted very honourably and recorded his disgust at this thuggery, and undertook to get to the bottom of it.Good to know that there are at least a few gentlemen in the Democrat Party.

They also said they'd look into the Rohingya People scandals to the BBC. Do you honestly believe Korn will do anything?

• Like 1

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Sunai @sunaibkk 49m

Sunai @sunaibkk 46m

Yes, I was just looking at that. I think it's actually one of Korn's staff, not Korn himself (https://twitter.com/teamkorn). But it's still good that he's condemned the attack, as I'm sure Korn himself would have.

Jonathan Head @pakhead 4h @noppatjak @teamkorn Pls tell crowds - they may no like our reporting but we are trying to be open-minded and do need to report the demos

JH is on the mark, of course. If foreign journalists feel too intimidated to cover protests, then it's obvious protests won't be receiving much coverage abroad. This thing with Nick is surely related to his coverage of the PAD protests in 08. But even someone who ran a pro-PAD website agreed that what Nick reported was correct after an initial argument IIRC. Good thing Dan Rivers isn't there, I suppose.

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 1

Catch 22, there are simply too many poor, under privileged people in the country who can vote. There is no chance the yellow shirts can win an election and they know it. Greed and self indulgence from the elite have been dragging down any chance of common ground here since the beginning of time. The middle classes are woefully in the minority, the elite are all military, privy or royal. To bridge the gap something needs to give. The only way to increase the middle classes is to distribute the wealth of the elite. Chances are? This only leads to one outcome, coup! Thaksin is elite, however his greed is all about power. He uses the poor to gain his power, where as the military elite suppress the poor for financial gain. There may be a time where the gap closes and a party who have both parties interest at heart will emerge however it is no time soon.

• Like 2

what next ? civil war ? coup ?

Doesn't seem on the cards at the moment unless (a) the reds come out of their playpen, despite lacking significant numbers or (B) Suthep and friends provoke a strong enough reaction from the police which leads to chaos, mayhem, bloodshed and more.

At the moment I can't see the rallies finishing in 3 days, perhaps just moving from Rajadamnoen if they are sincere about giving back the road before the King's birthday celebrations. So, we can expect more dancing, singing, praying, shouting, clapping, whistling, marching and provocative words for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Anasuya @Anasuya 2h

Sunai @sunaibkk 49m

Sunai @sunaibkk 46m

That the dangers of being a partisan reporter, the chances are you end up being the news instead of reporting it. Perhaps he should have stuck to reporting from the Rajamangala National Stadium where the other rats are holed up.

So you and Khun Korn have completely different reactions to the thuggish assault on a journalist.His was honourable and gentlemanly.Yours is snide and unpleasant and devoid of class.Still I'm guessing you are not an Old Wykehamist like Korn, his school motto being Manners Makkyth Man.

• Like 1

Have the government dropped tear gas from helicopters & sent troops in with loaded war weapons? That is what caused the red shirt violence.