Tourist vs. Expat stay

swissie

Tourist was a different attitude, here to enjoy yourself, explore, plenty of money for a short time, just kick back and enjoy everything and everyone, hotel service etc, for the short time until it was time to go back to reality.

As an Expat, you see alot more of "real" thai siciety and infrastructure (or lack of) and its day to day living with all its ups and downs you get when not "holidaying".

So, to answer the question, I think almost everyone is happieir "on holiday", after all thats why they go.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Today I bought some lemon grass and shallots to cook with. The food truck drives down my street every day. My Thai dog lets me know the truck is coming so I can get my shoes on and go outside before it drives past.

It is a mom and pop truck and pop comes out to talk to me whenever they stop. He likes to know the English name for the things I buy. I'm sure I take three times as long because they might not understand exactly what I want so we play show and tell.

The lady at the barber shop got a new black micro mini dress. The taxi driver asked me if I wanted to sit up front. The pharmacist asked me why I take anti dizzy pills in Thai and I could actually give him an answer. The pills are not for dizziness they help circulation. I went out in the jungle and cut some plants for dinner and scared the cuckoo birds who crash rather than land, odd bird very big, about the size of a small duck.

I don't do much tourist stuff. I don't much care for tourists. I didn't like tourists when I lived in the West and I haven't changed much since I came to Thailand. I would do more tourist stuff if the tourists weren't there.

• Like 2

I can't be happier.

I have repatriated most of my money to the home country.

With very good exchange rates.

I will be following,in the not to distant future.

After a good few years and only in my early fifties,pastures new beckon.

England,France,to visit family.

Antigua to stay a few months,in the house I bought years ago.

Jolly harbour,location.

Very nice.

I can't be happier.

I have repatriated most of my money to the home country.

With very good exchange rates.

I will be following,in the not to distant future.

After a good few years and only in my early fifties,pastures new beckon.

England,France,to visit family.

Antigua to stay a few months,in the house I bought years ago.

Jolly harbour,location.

Very nice.

What year did put your money into Thailand and what year did you take it out for a good return.

To be honest I never traveled to Thailand as a tourist. So for me I would not be able to compare.

I can say for the first few years I received the red carpet treatment. After that period of grace

things got real and so for me coming to Thailand 18 years ago I find myself feeling very humble and grateful to

be here enjoying life.

Today I bought some lemon grass and shallots to cook with. The food truck drives down my street every day. My Thai dog lets me know the truck is coming so I can get my shoes on and go outside before it drives past.

It is a mom and pop truck and pop comes out to talk to me whenever they stop. He likes to know the English name for the things I buy. I'm sure I take three times as long because they might not understand exactly what I want so we play show and tell.

The lady at the barber shop got a new black micro mini dress. The taxi driver asked me if I wanted to sit up front. The pharmacist asked me why I take anti dizzy pills in Thai and I could actually give him an answer. The pills are not for dizziness they help circulation. I went out in the jungle and cut some plants for dinner and scared the cuckoo birds who crash rather than land, odd bird very big, about the size of a small duck.

I don't do much tourist stuff. I don't much care for tourists. I didn't like tourists when I lived in the West and I haven't changed much since I came to Thailand. I would do more tourist stuff if the tourists weren't there.

Yes, all very well and good but apart from the lady barber's new micro mini, are you happy?
  • Like 1

As a tourist 35 years ago, but even as a tourist today. After four years of living and working in Thailand, we see things differently than if just touring. Being at the whims of employers, or getting that income statement from our Embassies to retire, or permission to marry, vechile ownership, license renewals, sticker renewals, insurance, doctors, dentists and relations with the opposite sex, is not the same as having money in your pocket and time to travel and spend it.

Living here full time we have more responsibilities.

I hate paying for a hotel or apartment for a night when I am away from my apartment. If I go to Laos on a visa run, it is like I am a tourist, find hotel, restaurant I like, coffee shop, always foreigners to talk to, try to spend as many days there as possible, in Thailand most other foreigners avoid you.

I leave Thailand regularly to get away from my responsibilities for a few days.

Yes, all very well and good but apart from the lady barber's new micro mini, are you happy?

Ya, a couple things could be different. I only talk politics with the dog. She nods her head and gives me a very sincere look but I don't think she really understands the election thing.

No computer or phone problems. I may I need a bigger TV screen. I was thinking of buying a 40 inch screen? Is under 20,000 OK or should I spend more? Or I could get new glasses.

No real problems. I'm the only Farang here abouts for most of the year. People are nice to me. I fell down once and 3 people helped me up. Strangers buy me sodas and Thai candy.

• Like 1

Apples and Oranges. A completely different experience. Both are great in there own way. As a tourist you spend much more money

per day as generally you are here for two weeks. You are out and about every day travelling around on a mission so to speak.

Day night go, go, go,. Living hear things are more relaxed, no real schedule just an agenda of things you want to do the next

week, month etc. You have the lay of the land, you keep learning about new things. Of course ex-pats like to bitch and TV

allows them to moan about Thai politics and Thai non-sensibilities. Still enjoying what Thailand has to offer as I am in my

first year hear. Other adventures on the chalkboard of life next year before returning to Thailand in the future.