Right hand turns on scooter

jcore

Hi Richard, you don't drive a fairly new white Fortuna do you? A few weeks ago I was travelling West on Thepprasit Rd and some old fossil driving one pulls out of a driveway next to the Colosseum without looking and nearly cleans up me and another scooter rider!

No, I don't drive a Fortuna, neither am I old or in Pattaya... I also don't pull out from side streets in front of bikes.

I have hit the breaks quite hard twice this week to avoid bikes who have pulled out without warning in front of me. Both car drivers and bike riders are reckless in equal numbers. Contrary to beardogs opinion I have nothing whatsoever against bike riders and give as much curtesy as possible.

My point which upset beardog on the other thread was one which many people made, I suggested he was too close after he nearly fell off his bike to avoid driving into the back of the car in front because it braked sharply. Regardless of whether or not the car in front was driven by an idiot, if someone nearly rear ends another vehicle they are too close, whether or not everyone agrees was an interesting debate on that thread.

Another point I made on that thread was that with all the bikes weaving in and out of the traffic it would be impossible to pay specific attention to each and every bike.

Thus, when indicating and changing lanes, bikes approaching from way behind still keep on coming past, we just have to make our movements gradually. I believe most bike riders and car drivers would agree that to drive in Thailand we have to be a little more assertive around other traffic, otherwise we'd never get to our destination.

This has been wrongly interpreted as road-rage and that I mow down bikes - Somewhat, inflammatory, way out of context and far from the balance of the comments I'd made.

I say good luck to all bike riders out there. They need it in Thailand. I stopped riding a bike because I realised that sooner or later I'd end up hurt and risk not being able to work. However, with the latest price reduction on the 796 Ducati the temptation remains very strong to get back on two wheels.

This 'right hand turns' thread is interesting to see how others handle the situation of being on a bike in Thailand when so many other vehicles drive without due attention. It has also become interesting to see how far out of context some comments can be twisted.