US urges calm amid Thailand protests

webfact

Alwyn

You are one person to truly needs to read more history! I have a degree in history and I can assure you that you would be speaking Japanese or German if not for the USA! I believe when you speak of our country and our soldiers who gave up their lives to help democracy I really feel you should show more respect! In World War II we alone lost 200,000 brave soldiers. While London was digging tunnels with Churchhill and his cigars trying to go deeper underground I believe it was the USA who came to the aid of the UK during that time.

I respect UK and will always continue to respect the soldiers who died for their country as well as for mine! I just don't understand why when the country is mentioned everyone seems to pull out their daggers and go after it. Where is the intelligence or the compassion to be friends and allies during times of crisis? I believe the USA is trying to reach out to Thailand because, let's face it; they do need help. In case you're not aware we also have many government agencies in this country working to bring peace and to prosecute the guilty. I have myself seen soldiers walking through the mall extremely polite and honorable wearing the USA flag.

Ph.D

Pulled your ships out of Syria now I guess you want to pool the ships on this conversation.

As a retired US Soldier I respect your views and appreciate your support. However, logic, courtesy and facts are lost to the hate and bigotry that permiates this and other blogs.

The lack of civil behavior and common courtesy when discussing and responding to opposing views appears to reveal profound unhappiness and dysfunction of some posters. Unfortunately, name calling, veiled profanities and personal attacks are commonplace.

I find it fortunate that this blog exists and is available for these unfortunates to vent their spleen.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The US needs to tend to their own affairs. Those that live in glass houses and all that jazz.

Here is the latest trendy thing for teens to do in the US.

http://www.today.com/news/knockout-game-teens-attack-innocent-people-just-fun-2D11648773

As an American, I agree.

We need to:

Stop meddling in other countries affairs

Stop supplying humanitarian aid

Stop propping up governments that are corrupt

Stop sharing intellectual and technological advances that better humankind

Stop being a hypocritical government

Stop defending those that can't defend themselves

Stop acknowledging other governments

Stop our own human rights abuses

Stop being a haven for refugees

Stop keeping our borders open

Stop licensing, trading and franchising our products

Stop challenging countries that would close sea lanes and airspace to free travel

Stop holding the dimming torch of freedom

I hope to live to see another power take our place. It will be interesting to watch.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

This from a country where the national sport is invading other countries and toppling legitimate governments to be replaced by American puppet governments. Methinks America should keep it's big mouth shut

Not disagreeing: My federal government is out of control, and has been for quite a long while now. It's just that, as a Brit, you should demonstrate a little more humility, given your own bloody history.

How far back in history are you wanting to go? Give Texas back to Mexico and I'll be quiet - not only Britain that has done bad things. Tell us how America saved the World in WWII by coming in during the last few years or so of conflict, tell us again how you were so successful in Vietnam (and while we're at it we can ask the people of Laos how they feel when they are still losing lives to unexploded ordnace and landmines put there by the US? Or how Cambodians feel about how you bombed the snot out of them and allowed Polpot to take control of the country? Tell me again what Brtain has done to slaughter people in the last 20 years like the good ol' boys of the USA?

They joined the US in all of the recent wars. Duh. Either step out of your cave, or don't get piss drunk and start typing on forums with Yanks that saved your Grand daddy's life.

Thank you so much for saving our grand daddy's lives.Apologies for the uk not being silly enough to get involved in Vietnam to save your Grand daddy's lives.

Interesting to note how the US can't even take a dump before consulting with the UK first,also interesting to note Obama's latest big rhetoric on what he was going to do to Syria till all of a sudden the UK said no,creating a nice dollop of egg on Obama's face,when faced with having to do a u-turn coz none of his buddies fancied it.We're not quite as silly as you look.

• Like 1

This from a country where the national sport is invading other countries and toppling legitimate governments to be replaced by American puppet governments. Methinks America should keep it's big mouth shut

You have to be kidding me right? Someone with a flag of the less than Great Britain, lecturing another country on invasion? Jesus, how much blood historically is on your hands? Great Britain should be renamed the great enslaver due to its colonial past. When you think of all the dead and drug addicted (yes, England was no only a slaver dealer but a drug dealer as well) left behind thanks to the English thirst for world domination, it is almost unbelievable. Oh, and the last three times the US has invaded other countries it was with the support of the UK military establishment. The US in this case is just urging a friend and ally (Thailand) to remain calm. That is what friends do during times of crisis.

Good comments

Alwyn is either a juvenile who knows no history, or just frustrated that he himself is not American. Please do tell us what perfect country you are from?

Google and watch Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States.

There is difference between accident and pure criminal/evil self serving mentality.

Please watch and see who's juvenile and don't know history!

Television, man made history or interpretations thereof, are poor teachers of any subject.

Using any one persons version of an event and believing it, deprives the free thinker the full measure of his intelligence.

Meanwhile, in Bangkok everything remains pretty calm. Hotel rates have not declined for the period over the next few weeks, no reports of mass cancellations, Emirates reporting an increase in bookings, central midnight sale starts tonight. I am as cynical as most about the TAT projections but there is nothing to suggest that these protests are going to impact on travel during the high season ( and no reason why they should).

• 2 months later...

I am Canadian, so I guess in a way I should be neutral in this debate. My Canadian History teaches me that our ties with Great Britain were much stronger to them then America. In fact the way Canada was formed at all was because certain people, called Loyalists, living in the USA, did not want to cut ties to the British King. So in order to maintain there connection with Britain, and to avoid conflict with the then known Rebels, at the start of the American Revolution, they had to move and started a knew country called Canada.

Now some people would and could rightfully debate that, but if there is one sure thing history teaches us, it is this. If the USA hadn't stepped in to help Great Britain when they did, and long before they got involved in a war themselves with Japan and Germany, you people on that island would be speaking German or Japanese right now, and not English. These so called Americans, who today you insult and say use invasions as what you also called, "Their National Sport", saved your ASS BIG TIME Buddy! Don't ever forget that or think any different!

Canada was in different circumstances at that time then you were. Although we were already at war, as Great Briton was then, as we were like one then. Even shared the same flag then, the Union Jack. That didn't change until the 1960's. But not much chance of us ever being invaded by anyone, like your chances were then. Without free food and supplies from America to defend yourselves, you were not that far away from being taken over.

There was an actual plan drawn up by Germany and Japan to invade the Americans after they took Great Britain. The Germans to invaded form Southern California, and the Japanese from Alaska. If the Japs thought it was cold in Mongolia, they haven't seen anything yet, by trying to cross the Yukon Rocky Mountain Pass. Not sure how many men died during the Yukon Gold Rush just crossing this. But then they did not have Bombers blowing up their food supply, and Spit Fires and Snipers shooting at them all the way up the mountain and down, with no cover. So I figure they had Zero chance of ever making it alive anyway. That is if they ever tried.

But if we were ever invaded then, and these so called Americans came up to Canada to die on our soil to save My Ass, like they did yours, I would be forever great full. Most of the Old War Hero's are gone now, but there are still many men and women who are alive in America today who lost there father in that war. Perhaps on a Supply Ship to send free food and war supplies to the British People but were hit by a German Sub instead, and only because they wanted to help you. So please think twice about the next time you want to post some smart remark about America, and Americans in general, and show a little respect to them.

Oh Ya! Just a couple of questions before I sign off. Since when were Dictators like Moammar Gadhafi, Saddam Hussein, and the Taliban, considered "Legitimate Governments"? Where have you been all these years Man? In Prison? I haven't been to Iraq but I have been to Libya and the older generation their use to call the time before Gadhafi as "The Golden Years". Now you figure that out.

Please also spend some time researching History, before you make such comments here again.

Thanks.

I'll just answer your last question as I fell to asleep reading the novel you wrote leading up to it. First I'd like to ask you when the Talibasn wa a government legitimate or not? Secondly have you seen what you left behind in Iraq? What was a beautiful country is now decomated and in more strife than before. I'd also question WHY America invaded.. Oh that's right the WMD that were never found right?. What's Libya got to do with America anyway? If America insists on being the World's police how come it's only in rich oil countries and not Zimbabwe for example. Somebody once told me Canadians are similar to Americans but with their brains bashed out, I always thought it was the other way around but after reading your drivel I'm unsure now

Well I am glad I live up to your expectations of what a Canadians are to you, and what you read from a book. But unlike you, that when I start reading a book, I finish it before I comment on it, and don't fall asleep before the end.

My experience with British People, which does not come from some sort of fictional book, but rather comes from many years of working and meeting many of them in the UK and Overseas, including people from all of the UK, (Scotts, Irish, Wales, and Brits) has always been a very pleasant one. In My Book they are Good People! Too bad people like you give them all a bad name.

As to the Iraq War, where not the Brits involved in that to? Of course they were! You better go back and finish that book. So was Australia and Poland! It was a NATO decision! It was a British Ship that hit the first target Man! Britain sent 45,000 Troops, and the second most. By population as many as the USA did. But since you probably just got your New Passport and moved to the UK recently, you wouldn't know that.

So now, this supposed Man from the UK, who probably recently came from some other American Bashing Country, is challenging a Canadian, calling him stupid because he can't speak for the Americans about why they entered Iraq, as Canadians weren't even in this war, when this clown cannot answer why his own country did! Doesn't that seem a little odd to you Man? As it sure does to me. But then you probably didn't know the UK was in this same war, as you can never finish the book. Just listen to gossip over Beer Talk and take that as fact.

Here is a LINK for you to read which will educated you more, if you can read one whole page before falling to sleep. You really should get that checked out. Before you fall asleep behind the wheel of a car. It is free. Just like the Free Supplies and Food you got from the Americans in World War ll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_invasion_of_Iraq

As to my personal views, and IMHO, I believe this invasion does have something to do with "Protecting Their Own Interest", but not just Oil. The world is doing fine without Iran's Oil, and as they would without Iraq. They also went into Afghanistan, and even you know there is no oil there. But what was thought to be a Boat Load of Terrorists. So I totally disagree they are trying to be the Worlds Police. They are just trying to protect themselves and prevent a bad situation into becoming worst.

People say it is Blood for Oil, but it isn't that at all. Not to say that Oil Shipments to the USA wouldn't hurt their economy. Of course it would just like it would hurt yours and mine. But then you wouldn't know that the USA will be self sufficient in oil soon, and could be an exporter of oil, if they choose. You also don't know what it feels like in the UK as you never had 3 Jumble Jets loaded with Women and Children recently crash into your Parliament Building, Trafalgar Square, or London Bridge and kill +4,000 Innocent Citizens. Do You?

You probably also didn't know that the Americans lost more people on that day ((911) then they lost on the day the Japanese Attached Peal Harbour in World War ll. The big difference being that at Pear Harbour most of the injured and killed were Men. On 911 they were mostly women and children. So they made that mistake by sitting back and waiting for it to happen at Pear Harbour. Again at 911! They are not going to sit back and wait for the next one, and I, as a Canadian, don't blame them one bit.

I am against all violence and wars. I stopped hunting animals many years ago and hate people who are cruel to animals. But I have got to tell you something honestly. If someone came into my house and killed part of my family, or raped My Wife or Daughter, "ALL RULES ARE BROKEN". I stay neutral on those things that don't effect me, or my family. So perhaps you can tell us why the UK got into this war, instead of why the Americans did, which you obviously know nothing about. I will try to read your new post, and not fall asleep, which judging from your comments will be very difficult for me.

But if it still bothers you so much, why not make a difference and not post here, as this changes nothing. Why not carry a Protest Sign at the American Embassy in your country and exercise your free rights? Demand they leave and get out of the UK and Iraq. You can do the that their! You still live in a Free Country. Thanks to the Americans!!!

I am Canadian, so I guess in a way I should be neutral in this debate. My Canadian History teaches me that our ties with Great Britain were much stronger to them then America. In fact the way Canada was formed at all was because certain people, called Loyalists, living in the USA, did not want to cut ties to the British King. So in order to maintain there connection with Britain, and to avoid conflict with the then known Rebels, at the start of the American Revolution, they had to move and started a knew country called Canada.

Now some people would and could rightfully debate that, but if there is one sure thing history teaches us, it is this. If the USA hadn't stepped in to help Great Britain when they did, and long before they got involved in a war themselves with Japan and Germany, you people on that island would be speaking German or Japanese right now, and not English. These so called Americans, who today you insult and say use invasions as what you also called, "Their National Sport", saved your ASS BIG TIME Buddy! Don't ever forget that or think any different!

Canada was in different circumstances at that time then you were. Although we were already at war, as Great Briton was then, as we were like one then. Even shared the same flag then, the Union Jack. That didn't change until the 1960's. But not much chance of us ever being invaded by anyone, like your chances were then. Without free food and supplies from America to defend yourselves, you were not that far away from being taken over.

There was an actual plan drawn up by Germany and Japan to invade the Americans after they took Great Britain. The Germans to invaded form Southern California, and the Japanese from Alaska. If the Japs thought it was cold in Mongolia, they haven't seen anything yet, by trying to cross the Yukon Rocky Mountain Pass. Not sure how many men died during the Yukon Gold Rush just crossing this. But then they did not have Bombers blowing up their food supply, and Spit Fires and Snipers shooting at them all the way up the mountain and down, with no cover. So I figure they had Zero chance of ever making it alive anyway. That is if they ever tried.

But if we were ever invaded then, and these so called Americans came up to Canada to die on our soil to save My Ass, like they did yours, I would be forever great full. Most of the Old War Hero's are gone now, but there are still many men and women who are alive in America today who lost there father in that war. Perhaps on a Supply Ship to send free food and war supplies to the British People but were hit by a German Sub instead, and only because they wanted to help you. So please think twice about the next time you want to post some smart remark about America, and Americans in general, and show a little respect to them.

Oh Ya! Just a couple of questions before I sign off. Since when were Dictators like Moammar Gadhafi, Saddam Hussein, and the Taliban, considered "Legitimate Governments"? Where have you been all these years Man? In Prison? I haven't been to Iraq but I have been to Libya and the older generation their use to call the time before Gadhafi as "The Golden Years". Now you figure that out.

Please also spend some time researching History, before you make such comments here again.

Thanks.

I'll just answer your last question as I fell to asleep reading the novel you wrote leading up to it. First I'd like to ask you when the Talibasn wa a government legitimate or not? Secondly have you seen what you left behind in Iraq? What was a beautiful country is now decomated and in more strife than before. I'd also question WHY America invaded.. Oh that's right the WMD that were never found right?. What's Libya got to do with America anyway? If America insists on being the World's police how come it's only in rich oil countries and not Zimbabwe for example. Somebody once told me Canadians are similar to Americans but with their brains bashed out, I always thought it was the other way around but after reading your drivel I'm unsure now

Well I am glad I live up to your expectations of what a Canadians are to you, and what you read from a book. But unlike you, that when I start reading a book, I finish it before I comment on it, and don't fall asleep before the end.

My experience with British People, which does not come from some sort of fictional book, but rather comes from many years of working and meeting many of them in the UK and Overseas, including people from all of the UK, (Scotts, Irish, Wales, and Brits) has always been a very pleasant one. In My Book they are Good People! Too bad people like you give them all a bad name.

As to the Iraq War, where not the Brits involved in that to? Of course they were! You better go back and finish that book. So was Australia and Poland! It was a NATO decision! It was a British Ship that hit the first target Man! Britain sent 45,000 Troops, and the second most. By population as many as the USA did. But since you probably just got your New Passport and moved to the UK recently, you wouldn't know that.

So now, this supposed Man from the UK, who probably recently came from some other American Bashing Country, is challenging a Canadian, calling him stupid because he can't speak for the Americans about why they entered Iraq, as Canadians weren't even in this war, when this clown cannot answer why his own country did! Doesn't that seem a little odd to you Man? As it sure does to me. But then you probably didn't know the UK was in this same war, as you can never finish the book. Just listen to gossip over Beer Talk and take that as fact.

Here is a LINK for you to read which will educated you more, if you can read one whole page before falling to sleep. You really should get that checked out. Before you fall asleep behind the wheel of a car. It is free. Just like the Free Supplies and Food you got from the Americans in World War ll. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_invasion_of_Iraq

As to my personal views, and IMHO, I believe this invasion does have something to do with "Protecting Their Own Interest", but not just Oil. The world is doing fine without Iran's Oil, and as they would without Iraq. They also went into Afghanistan, and even you know there is no oil there. But what was thought to be a Boat Load of Terrorists. So I totally disagree they are trying to be the Worlds Police. They are just trying to protect themselves and prevent a bad situation into becoming worst.

People say it is Blood for Oil, but it isn't that at all. Not to say that Oil Shipments to the USA wouldn't hurt their economy. Of course it would just like it would hurt yours and mine. But then you wouldn't know that the USA will be self sufficient in oil soon, and could be an exporter of oil, if they choose. You also don't know what it feels like in the UK as you never had 3 Jumble Jets loaded with Women and Children recently crash into your Parliament Building, Trafalgar Square, or London Bridge and kill +4,000 Innocent Citizens. Do You?

You probably also didn't know that the Americans lost more people on that day ((911) then they lost on the day the Japanese Attached Peal Harbour in World War ll. The big difference being that at Pear Harbour most of the injured and killed were Men. On 911 they were mostly women and children. So they made that mistake by sitting back and waiting for it to happen at Pear Harbour. Again at 911! They are not going to sit back and wait for the next one, and I, as a Canadian, don't blame them one bit.

I am against all violence and wars. I stopped hunting animals many years ago and hate people who are cruel to animals. But I have got to tell you something honestly. If someone came into my house and killed part of my family, or raped My Wife or Daughter, "ALL RULES ARE BROKEN". I stay neutral on those things that don't effect me, or my family. So perhaps you can tell us why the UK got into this war, instead of why the Americans did, which you obviously know nothing about. I will try to read your new post, and not fall asleep, which judging from your comments will be very difficult for me.

But if it still bothers you so much, why not make a difference and not post here, as this changes nothing. Why not carry a Protest Sign at the American Embassy in your country and exercise your free rights? Demand they leave and get out of the UK and Iraq. You can do the that their! You still live in a Free Country. Thanks to the Americans!!!

I was reading your post with interest until I read the last line about how I'm living in a free World thanks to America? You ponce. In England we lived for decades with terrorism for the IRA and that would be thanks to the Irish funding them - openly. The Al Qaeda were funded by America. For more info on how America funds terrorism look here; http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/356986.aspx We had a plane blown out of the sky in Lockerbie, Libyans this time. For us it's not new. You're right about one thing. Between Pearl Harbour and 911 the Amercians didn't sit back and wait. They got stuck into Vietnam (which included bombimng Cambodia and Laos - where people still die each and every day thanks to unexploded ordnance), Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq and of course they aided Argentina against Britain in the Falklands war. Wht Britain got involved in Iraq? Easy. Tony Blair had his nose so far up the Americans asses he lied in government and went ahead despite overwhelming advice not to. It was his downfall I'm happy to say.

• Like 1

Well I am glad I live up to your expectations of what a Canadians are to you, and what you read from a book. But unlike you, that when I start reading a book, I finish it before I comment on it, and don't fall asleep before the end.I'll just answer your last question as I fell to asleep reading the novel you wrote leading up to it. First I'd like to ask you when the Talibasn wa a government legitimate or not? Secondly have you seen what you left behind in Iraq? What was a beautiful country is now decomated and in more strife than before. I'd also question WHY America invaded.. Oh that's right the WMD that were never found right?. What's Libya got to do with America anyway? If America insists on being the World's police how come it's only in rich oil countries and not Zimbabwe for example. Somebody once told me Canadians are similar to Americans but with their brains bashed out, I always thought it was the other way around but after reading your drivel I'm unsure now

Thanks.

I was reading your post with interest until I read the last line about how I'm living in a free World thanks to America? You ponce. In England we lived for decades with terrorism for the IRA and that would be thanks to the Irish funding them - openly. The Al Qaeda were funded by America. For more info on how America funds terrorism look here; http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/356986.aspx We had a plane blown out of the sky in Lockerbie, Libyans this time. For us it's not new. You're right about one thing. Between Pearl Harbour and 911 the Amercians didn't sit back and wait. They got stuck into Vietnam (which included bombimng Cambodia and Laos - where people still die each and every day thanks to unexploded ordnance), Afghanistan, Libya, Iraq and of course they aided Argentina against Britain in the Falklands war. Wht Britain got involved in Iraq? Easy. Tony Blair had his nose so far up the Americans asses he lied in government and went ahead despite overwhelming advice not to. It was his downfall I'm happy to say.

We were struggling in WW2 as the last man standing against Nazism until the Americans eventually showed up but whether that was thanks to their benevolence, Japanese hubris or the Soviet threat of a communist Europe is the subject of historical debate.

typo edited

Edited by bigbamboo

You have to be kidding me right? Someone with a flag of the less than Great Britain, lecturing another country on invasion? Jesus, how much blood historically is on your hands? Great Britain should be renamed the great enslaver due to its colonial past. When you think of all the dead and drug addicted (yes, England was no only a slaver dealer but a drug dealer as well) left behind thanks to the English thirst for world domination, it is almost unbelievable. Oh, and the last three times the US has invaded other countries it was with the support of the UK military establishment. The US in this case is just urging a friend and ally (Thailand) to remain calm. That is what friends do during times of crisis.

And yes, do not forget the Dutch. We invented slavery with the Portuguese and now 'we' are very worried about the gay rights in Sotsji.... How things can change. US is very right; "help a friend to help themselves" (quote Nixon when he decided to bomb neutral Cambodia)

Alprazolam - xanax should be handed out for free. Before the Ministry of 'Health' restricted the sales months (sth I blame YL very much for) ago it was mouch more relaxed in the streets. Now one has to order in advance and the prices have tripled. B-52's with pills please.

Well I am glad I live up to your expectations of what a Canadians are to you, and what you read from a book. But unlike you, that when I start reading a book, I finish it before I comment on it, and don't fall asleep before the end.I'll just answer your last question as I fell to asleep reading the novel you wrote leading up to it. First I'd like to ask you when the Talibasn wa a government legitimate or not? Secondly have you seen what you left behind in Iraq? What was a beautiful country is now decomated and in more strife than before. I'd also question WHY America invaded.. Oh that's right the WMD that were never found right?. What's Libya got to do with America anyway? If America insists on being the World's police how come it's only in rich oil countries and not Zimbabwe for example. Somebody once told me Canadians are similar to Americans but with their brains bashed out, I always thought it was the other way around but after reading your drivel I'm unsure now

Thanks.

We were struggling in WW2 as the last man standing against Nazism until the Americans eventually showed up but whether that was thanks to their benevolence, Japanese hubris or the Soviet threat of a communist Europe is the subject of historical debate.

typo edited

The UK, including Canada and other Common Wealth Countries like Australia, declared war on Germany on September 3rd, 1939, with the invasion of Poland. The Americans were not officially in the War until the attach on Pearl Harbour, which was December 7th, 1941. So we were in this war 2 years before the Americans.

You were very much indeed the last man standing in Europe against the Nazism. How brave and determined your people had to be to withstand such an onslaught. Very few people in history ever had to face such a thing with such determination and bravery. Of not giving up. Of going on until the last man standing. Of this I am sure! Nobody in history can debate that. But you were not alone.

Although the Americans were not officially in the War against Gemany and Japan then they provide plenty of aid to the UK through food and supplies. Thus Germany created the Wolf Pack which was Submarines sinking many of there unarmed ships headed to the UK with supplies and aid to cripple you further. This was "Your Darkest Hour" as Winston Churchill said with truthfulness. This is also the time I am talking about.

Up until December 7th, 1941 the Japanese were never consider a real threat to the Americans. To them it was a David against Goliath sort of thing in which as a betting man you would not bet on David winning too many rounds in a 13 Round Fight. Even the Japanese knew that. After there success at Peal Harbour one of the first comments made by their Highest Admiral was that they "Woke up a Sleeping Giant". Which was a fact and history proves later, that they did.

The Russians and Communism wasn't a threat to the Americans either until after the war when George Patten said then "We should Nuke them all before they learn the secret of the Atomic Bomb.". Communism started to spread after the war in China and elsewhere. The Russians were considered week until after the war. I guess Germany woke up another Sleeping Giant as well. There last battle before that though was with Japan, in which they lost Mongolia to them.

So since it wasn't a Soviet or Japanese threat that caused the American to give aid to you when you needed it most, and up into their entry into this war some 2 years later, then it can only be "Benevolence" towards you as people that caused them to do this and help you when you needed it most. I am not Pro American. I am not Pro anything anymore except Pro My Family. I just can't help myself sometimes when I read all this American Bashing from people who should be grateful for what they did for them. I don't expect them to bow down to them and kiss there feet. Just show a little well deserved respect for them and get off the "I AM Going to Bash the Americans Band Wagon" if you are slightly less than neutral. . .

Just for the record the Russians are the unsung heroes of WW2 and they held up both the line and were single handedly responsible for turning the tide thanks to US funding, after that they were betrayed by both the British and the US on promises. Russia kept its word the allies did not keep theirs.

It was also Russia that pushed back the Japanese out of China.

in short the Russians made everything in WW2 possible for the allies by putting millions of lives on the line, the debt owed to the people of Russia should not be forgotten or underestimated and they lost more souls in WW2 doing it than all the other countries on all sides combined.

Edited by englishoak

Just for the record the Russians are the unsung heroes of WW2 and they held up both the line and were single handedly responsible for turning the tide thanks to US funding, after that they were betrayed by both the British and the US on promises. Russia kept its word the allies did not keep theirs.

It was also Russia that pushed back the Japanese out of China.

in short the Russians made everything in WW2 possible for the allies by putting millions of lives on the line, the debt owed to the people of Russia should not be forgotten or underestimated and they lost more souls in WW2 doing it than all the other countries on all sides combined.

Not sure about any of that and am I am kinda partial to Russia and married one. I think documents and more recent witness accounts reflect that Stalin had actually intended to attack Germany and take over Europe. Hitler just beat him to the punch when Stalin annexed the Eastern part of Romania, began stock piling ammunition in Poland and along the Romanian border, and removed border fence to stage an attack against Germany and surge into Romania to cut of Hitler's oil supply. Russia was intent on taking out Germany and conquering all of Europe. So in effect, the Germans saved us from Russia.

----------

To summarize, driven by its expansionist Communist ideology, Russia (then the U.S.S.R, or Soviet Union) planned and prepared in every possible military and civilian aspect, and at an enormous scale and cost, to an aggressive war of invasion and occupation, and NOT to a war of defense. While Hitler's aggression was genuinely his own, Russia cynically used it with the intention that while Germany and the western powers will exhaust each other at war, which they did, Russia will maximize and complete its enormous preparations for war, and will in the summer of 1941 perform a gigantic surprise attack that will first cut Hitler's Romanian oil supply, then defeat Germany, and then continue to complete the occupation of all of Europe, all the way to Spain. This was the largest, longest, and deepest pre-war effort ever in history, but it was knocked out of course (yet partially implemented later, in 1944, resulting in the occupation of 'just' half of Europe) because of a combination of three factors:

1. In mid 1940, following the Russian ultimatum to Romania, Germany's ally and only source of oil, Hitler realized how urgent it became for him to strike Russia (which he always intended to do) as soon as possible and regardless of his unfinished war with Britain and lack of readiness for the Russian winter. In July 1940 the German military was ordered to prepare to invade Russia as soon as the weather will permit in May 1941.

2. Stalin was repeatedly warned by his intelligence services, military advisors, and by Britain, that the Germans are also preparing a giant surprise attack against Russia, and was advised by Zhukov and the General Staff to start the planned Russian surprise attack earlier, in May 1941, instead of waiting to complete ALL the preparations, but Stalin, relying mostly on the verified fact that the German military was not ready for Russian winter conditions, dismissed the warnings and preferred to wait just a little more t complete the preparations for the Russian surprise attack, but that was a little too late, and Hitler struck first, not prepared for winter, but still at enormous power, with the world's most effective army then.

3. The human factor of morale. When the Germans invaded, instead of fiercely fighting back, the mighty Soviet military machine collapsed and disintegrated at an incredible rate.

http://greyfalcon.us/Russia%20In%20World%20War%202.htm

My input isnt anything other than factual and observational

Yes communism and fascism are natural enemies and Russia had experience already with Germany in WW1 it was logical for Stalin to eye Germany as a serious threat ( which of course they were ) these two growing and aggressive militarily powers were going to go at it, both leaders egos would allow nothing less.

The Soviets were not taken completely by surprise when Germany attacked in 1941. From 1938 onwards, the Soviet government made detailed plans for wartime economic mobilization and evacuation. But pre-war planning had not anticipated an evacuation of the size that occurred.

Russia's military was ill equipped to deal with the German arsenal it was woefully outdated and unprofessional troops were not prepared for German dicipline and it reeled under the assault, also there is increasing evidence to suggest there was no holds barred on the type of weaponry Germany used against Russia under the excuse it was not part of the Geneva convention treaty. Gas poisons torture and all manner were used even suggested new types of weaponry under testing were used as the casualties sustained by the soviets in sheer numbers does not equate to the documented arms/ bombs/ tonnage alone used by Germany. Regardless of going into supposition the Russian casualties ran into the millions

The US seeing the impending collapse of Russia and realising the resources it would provide Germany they started sending immediate funding and resources along with arms to forestall the German advance. the role Russia was to play was to keep the German machine bogged down and busy whilst the allies gained a foothold in Europe, it agreed having little choice but to survive and held on until the fateful winter and moved its entire industrial base east and employed virtually the whole nation in rebuilding its war machine. The evacuation of the factories was an immense undertaking. In the last three months of 1941, GOSPLAN moved 1,360 factories: 455 to the Urals, 210 to western Siberia, and 250 to Central Asia and Kazahkstan. By the end of 1941, 1,523 large factories were moved. A few went to the Far East.

With US funding and materials and steel etc Russia began to build whilst holding off the main German. its casualties are estimated at 25 million roughly half of all that died in the war worldwide, it should also be well noted that China a forgotten victim suffered losses of approx 15 million during the Japanese invasion and occupation, a fact largely forgotten now.

it is no surprise that China turned to Russia later being its saviour from the Japanese. that aside conservative historians tend to agree had Hitler and Stalin been staunch allies along with Japan the opposition of the allies would have very likely failed. So in a way it is Ironic that two of histories greatest villains saved the word from each other.

footnote:

Oliver stones series is very much worth a look, it is i believe the most unbiased and historically accurate documentary series ever put down on reel.

The Untold History of the United States

In respect to the Malvinas, just as Britain must live with continental Europe, the United States must live with its important neighbors of South America, Latin America. Washington anyway passed a lot of intel to Britain, done in respect of US relations with its NATO treaty ally and longtime ally.

Nato was organized in 1949 after the Cold War took a definite shape out of the real fear of Europe and the US that Soviet tanks would roll over the same plains and lands of Europe that the Nazi tanks had rolled over. If Moscow thought it could have got away with it, it would have gone ahead and done it. Churchill made his secret deals with Stalin that infuriated FDR and later Truman and their in-common advisers.

The United States entered the Great European War in 1917 because Britain, France and Germany were verging on complete collapse. That alliance began a century of a US return to engagement with Europe after the United States had spent the entire 19th century being everything Europe was not.

Prez Eisenhower spent his eight years conducting his foreign policy of dismantling the British Empire and all empire, to include ticking off France (which was of some solace and comfort to the grieving Brits). Ike refused the French request of the Bomb to use in Vietnam, specifically in connection with France's' desperate plight at Dien Bien Phu. Ike completely broke with London and Paris after their duplicitous and disastrous misadventure, the Suez Crisis of 1956, in which the chief of the British General Staff, ACM Sir Richard Smallwood considered disobeying PM Anthony Eden whom Smallwood described to the Staff as having gone "stark raving mad" for his secret plan with France and Israel to retake the canal from Col Nasser's nationalization of it.

Now the United States is focused on East Asia and the Indo-Pacific strategic region, which brings us back to the former LOS, which is a treaty ally of the US and an important linchpin against the communism of the former USSR and Mao's PRChina, and now in opposition to the 21st century fascism of the CCP-PRC which has firm designs on Asean as a tributary and subservient entity.

The Democrat Party of Abhisit and Suthep are openly supportive of Beijing with Abhisit having made the statement several times that the United States is seeking to contain the CCP-PRC (21st century fascist dictatorship) and that Abhisit and his gang are not aligned with Washington in this perceived respect.

• Like 1