Be early for flights: AOT

webfact

Be early for flights: AOT
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Airports of Thailand Plc urged travellers yesterday to travel to Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang airports at least three hours ahead of flights so they do not miss trips amid chaotic traffic because of protests in Bangkok.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) adjusted bus service on 12 routes. With traffic jams expected in many parts of the capital due to ongoing political rallies, AOT director Rawiwan Netrakhawesna said they had temporarily called on taxis outside the airport's registry system as back-ups during this period.

BMTA director Opas Petchmunee said the adjusted bus routes were numbers 59, 503, 60, 511, 23, 2, 47, 12, 15, 68, 82 and 556. These were diverted to avoid protest sites. People could get details via the 24-hour hotline 1348.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-26

Airlines generally advise that you "be at" the airport 3 hours before departure time.

Yes ... that's already been discussed in the other thread.

I think this is common sense for those of us who live in Bangkok, but first time tourists may not be aware of the traffic jams that can suddenly start in Bangkok.

I have traveled to the airport on "peak travel days" (start of long holidays etc.) and have seen the enormous traffic jams (and consequent accidents that make things worse.) , so I always leave earlier than normal and arrive in good time.