Thai Commerce confident to defend rice scheme

webfact

Commerce confident to defend rice scheme

184991-imagejpeg-272476-1-wpcf_728x413.j

BANGKOK: -- The deputy commerce minister said the government was confident to clear all issues to be questioned by the opposition Democrat MPs during the no-confidence debate in Parliament tomorrow.

Yangyong Puangrat, the deputy commerce minister, said that now the ministry has already reported all information about the rice pledging to the prime minister and was confident the government would be able to clarify and defend all issues to be raised.

He said information supplied to the prime minister included the required steps in the implementation of the scheme, and the selling of rice on the government-to-government basis.

He believed the opposition MPs would have no new information to question the prime minister and was confident all questions could be cleared and defended.

But the deputy commerce minister said that in fact the rice pledging scheme is not involve the prime minister as she is only the policy holder while the scheme has various working committees to look after such as the National Rice Policy Committee.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commerce-confident-defend-rice-scheme/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-26

"But the deputy commerce minister said that in fact the rice pledging scheme is not involve the prime minister as she is only the policy holder while the scheme has various working committees to look after such as the National Rice Policy Committee."

You really have to wonder the logic of these plebs with statements like this....!.. <deleted>!...what planett are these imbeciles from?

• Like 1

What are they defending? I thought the whole thing was going swimmingly and according to plan.

Does this mean that they may admit there are a few small issues?

The PM has been armed with the necessary info relating to the setting up of the scheme and G2G sales.

Problem is, the guys in her face tomorrow will no doubt be wanting to know about the big part of the story missing from the middle.

• Like 1

What is this weird pretense that the PM can absolve herself of all responsibility by setting up a committee, or having legislation presented by a proxy member of the party and avoiding the vote. "Oh no, that's not the party, that the legislation!" or "You can't blame me, I was in (insert your choice from the many) at the time!"

This woman is knee deep in crap and shovelling it down the throats of the voters, but insists she has clean hands. If she ever gets dragged into court to defend the actions of this government, she had better think up a much better defense.

• Like 1

See also "three card Monty" or "one ball, three cups".

So have the BAAC started paying-out again, or are they still scratching round for money, and expecting a 45-day delay in giving the poor rice-farmers what they're owed ?

Pretty sure they "borrowed" 80 billion baht from the 2014 budget to re-commence payments. They were going to try and sell bonds, but suspect that idea couldn't get off the ground?

http://www.thairiceexporters.or.th/rice_news_eng.htm

http://oryza.com/news/thailand-government-sells-200000-tons-rice-auction

Not much result-oriented successful selling, always seems to be "we expect things to be better tomorrow".

Why am I reminded of that famous sign in the pub, "Free Beer Tomorrow"?

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

"The deputy commerce minister said the government was confident to clear all issues to be questioned by the opposition Democrat MPs during the no-confidence debate in Parliament tomorrow."

Yes,... and he'll be bringing Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy with him to quell the doubts of all unbelievers!

No doubt the erstwhile Yangyong Puangrat, the deputy commerce minister, will be ably assisted by that leading world class illusionist David Copperfield assisted no doubt by the ghost of the late Harry Houdini the great escapologist in the debate and defense of the rice pledging scam scheme.

So, we have a 400++ billion loss over TWO years and no one is really responsible?

Nobody is *ever* responsible in Thailand.

You beat me to it. This phenomenon is NOT only seen in Thai politics but in Thai business and everyday Thai life. Nobody is ever, ever responsible. Why? That would constitute a loss of face, of course. Perhaps there are other reasons.

I have experienced this throughout every aspect of life here.

When was the last time we heard about any Thai of significance in business or politics being actually accused, convicted AND brought to justice? In China, for example, they fairly regularly execute the types of corrupt officials routinely found in Thailand.

What is this weird pretense that the PM can absolve herself of all responsibility by setting up a committee, or having legislation presented by a proxy member of the party and avoiding the vote. "Oh no, that's not the party, that the legislation!" or "You can't blame me, I was in (insert your choice from the many) at the time!"

This woman is knee deep in crap and shovelling it down the throats of the voters, but insists she has clean hands. If she ever gets dragged into court to defend the actions of this government, she had better think up a much better defense.

This is the point where the shareholders ask the CEO, "so please tell us what happened to miss the targets", and the CEO answers, "Well, you are going to have to talk to sales and marketing about that".

Particularly relevant when your only experience is working for the family in a company that was granted a monopoly in order to print money for free.

She has already been dragged into court and lied under oath commiting perjury and noting came of it.

I never cease to be amazed by the complete nonsense that goes on here. So, the PM is not involved in the Government rice buying scheme!

The whole world is speculating how much this is going to cost Thailand, Moodys threaten to downgrade Thailands credit rating, the country has lost it's number 1 global export position and it's heading for an almighty crash! But when you ask the PM to answer for all this the answer is,,,,"nuffin to do wiv me!"

What a total farce,,,

Th rice scheme has gone 100% according to plan. "We will give you a 40% premium for your rice if you vote for us

and we get into power." Enough said, how much the country looses is not out concern. Much like the Greek governments

for 35 years. Promise the people anything and everything get elected don't worry about paying the piper that will not be for

a few decades. By then pockets will be lined and you will not be in power and all will be forgotten after the spin doctors

have done there work.

• Like 1

From the news

The currency is now traded at a two-month low, as the Finance Ministry could not raise as much as expected from bond sale. Yesterday, the ministry sold only Bt37 billion of government-backed bonds.

According to the Public Debt Management Office, the bonds were also sold at a yield that was higher than market rates.

Does this mean that the BAAC will still not have enough to pay the farmers ?