Best location for A/C indoor unit in bedroom?

Sophon

I am trying to figure out what is the best place to place the indoor unit of an A/C in our bedroom. The bedroom is 4 by 4 meters and approx. 2.75 meter high, and because of windows the bed can only be in one place, but I have three options for where to place the A/C fan unit:

• On the wall above the bed (at the head) blowing towards our feet
  • On the opposite wall blowing towards the bed
  • On the side

I don't think the second option is the correct choice, since we don't like the cold air blowing directly on us. I assume that if placed above our heads, the cold air will be blown away from us and "fall down" somewhere at the end of the bed or beyond. If placed to the side the airflow can be directed (somewhat) away from the bed, we have this situation in our Bangkok condo and it works OK but not perfect.

What is the opinions of the learned members of ThaiVisa?

Thanks in advance.

Sophon

I think it's a matter of taste (and the logistics of where you can place the outdoor unit).

The position opposite (your least preferred) will maximise cooling in the place you want it (on you), if you direct the vent slightly upwards you won't feel a significant draught. It will also minimise the possibility of condensate dripping on the bed when the drain tube blocks (it will).

Ours is in that position, but both of us actually like a little air movement when sleeping.

Agree opposite wall is the better position (and have had both - and even if you maintain enough so never drips you still need to access for service). With it on other wall you can direct to hit you or not by vane position. Above your head you never get the cooling unless heavy wind directly on you with vane cranked full down. Also the noise will be less on other wall. That said if outside wall is above bed you may want to consider it anyhow.

Since you don't like the opposite wall location (which I'm guessing most folks do prefer), I would defer to a position closest to the outside unit and if that should happen to be the opposite wall you could use the vein position to redirect. It really doesn't make that much difference where the unit is placed once the temp setting is achieved but making the shortest possible pipe run should be an objective.

Thanks for your replies.

All three possible locations are outside walls, and the compressor unit could be placed under any of them, so that's not a factor in deciding where to put the A/C. Noise is also not a concern, we actually like some sound from the A/C as we think it acts as "white noise" blocking out other outside sounds. Neither of us like the cold air blowing directly on us, we just want the A/C to cool down the room to around 27-28 degrees on hot nights.

I take your points about dripping and service access, so I am now leaning towards putting it on the side wall. Actually, at this point we haven't even finally decided whether to buy an A/C or not, we are currently in the process of building the house so we are talking about where to put the electric access point for the unit when/if we buy it.

Thanks again.

Sophon