Personal experience of corruption

scubascuba3

People give the impression Thailand is corrupt and people can be bought off. It would be good to hear peoples personal experiences first hand of corruption where you paid someone or even offered to pay someone and it was rejected

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years ago, I was stopped on my motocycle and I guessed had committed ... 'the Farang' offense. It was 'hinted' to me that things could be arranged. I grabbed my wallet, and made it very obvious to everyone around that I was taking a few notes out of it. Suddenly, there was no need for things to be arranged, that I misunderstood the previous short discussion, and that I was free to go.

• Like 1

Interesting, I thought there would be a tidal wave of first hand examples. Maybe it isn't as bad as people make out

Thats because you are asking for rejected corruption stories.

Interesting, I thought there would be a tidal wave of first hand examples. Maybe it isn't as bad as people make out

I was asking for both to get a fair picture

Sorry mate, but I have to agree with Showbags here.

I read it again and again, and the bottom line is.....it was rejected.

Might have been a typo, which I'm sure doesn't matter.

Just wait and see, the tsunami will come soon.

wink.png

Don't worry, when people wake up they will post.

Remember, the vast majority of experts on TV are not even in Thailand, so the time differences means they will start their posting in a few hours time.

And many have never been to Thailand. But that don't stop em posting.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Your question does not come accross as that...read it.

You are asking if you had paid or offered and were rejected, sounds like you are saying both rejected, even after paying.

Paid one cop 200 baht for travelling in the wrong lane. Tea money.

Paid 3 actual fines before I figured out it's cheaper and more convenient to pay the tea money rather than the fine.

Told a cop demanding 2,000 for allegedly speeding/wrong lane/not indicating, that 200 is the going rate, take it or leave it - he took it.

Been involved in 2 car crashes (one minor, one major). BIB decided not my fault on both occasions and fined one of the Thai drivers 400 baht.

Been stopped numerous times for checking licence - never had a problem. Even had a few salutes and lots of Kap Pohm's.

• Like 1

In 5 years on motorbikes in Bangkok I would estimate 10-15 times. I probably get stopped roughly every 8-12 weeks (though it has been much less in the past year). I have built up a resistance to these stops by starting off polite, formal and questioning. 9 times out of 10 they ask me to move on.

The worst case was when I was taken to Khao San police station (I have no interest in the area but it was en-route for me that day). I turned left on a red (following a police bike). The policeman made me break a further 4 laws in taking him to the station. They tried to make me sign stuff in Thai. I was polite, but firm, and ended up in the big man's office. He did everything he could but I explained that I only had B100 petrol money in the bike but could happily return later that day if he issued a ticket. Eventually he made up a fine for B100 and made me pay it. Took about 45 minutes but I had all day so didn't care if I pissed them off by sticking to my rights to understand any legal proceedings against me. Kept polite, kept safe.

On another occasion I was actually padded down for money by a police man in a booth (Pratunam junction). Same story, ask him to write ticket, inexplicably can't, keeps on pushing my to go to an ATM, tell him I don't have a card with me, just my driving licence and B100 (kept with licence). Eventually tells me to get out of his booth after swiping the B100, shame really it was very hot that day and the air-con was on 16 it would seem.

Another occasion in a booth on Sukhumvit, same kind of story.

Basically put, ride a motorbike in Bangkok, you'll get your chance.

• Like 1

I've known of several people who applied for Ed visas but had no plans to seriously study anything and some people encouraging others to make false claims on an embassy income verification letter. Not actual personal knowledge, but I read about it here on Thai Visa, the hub of specious innuendo and dubious gossip, so it must be true.

Edited by Suradit69

yes by my then Australian business partner who when we had a disagreement and I told him I am out he went to the Pattaya police and paid them along with the danish Mr Burns lookalike to concoct a story that I had stolen from him.....

they came to the apartment I was living in on Saturday morning @7am with a warrant, searched the whole place and started looking at title deeds and bank books whilst I was in hand cuffs in my pants.....we got down the station and my lawyer was on his way, it was this time that a strange swiss pretend lawyer came into the room and tried to wind me up and told me it could all go away if I signed over some property to them by power of attorney, had it all prepared, told him to go away all the while smiling..... then the aussie and his pregnant wife turned up playing the victims in front of the coppers, got the hump when I didn't roll over and started swearing and losing it...then demanded I be thrown in jail....

My lawyer 'negotiated' bail of 90k baht and I was out that evening, passport held by the Pattaya police who eventually gave it back 6 stressful weeks later and never to see the 90k again.....

proper stitched up mate but still kept my property thumbsup.gif

this is the reverse of corruption working in ones favour.....be very wary all you budding entrepreneurs of the Land of Frowns wai.gif

• Like 1

In my case, it was me that rejected it : so, I got a discount from 5000 bahts to 500 bahts, that I paid.

It was when I "bought" my land. At the end of the process the papers had to be signed by the head of the office (at the district administration) and they let us wait (me and the thai friend that helped me) for hours.

My friend explained that if I paid I would have the signature instantly. So, we waited until I told him to ask how much. It was 5000 bahts or we had to come back the next day.

So, we left (I did not want to pay this, it is against all my principles).

The next day, I told my friend to go alone and said that he should explain that he was the buyer and that he did not have the money because I was a very bad farang and very cheap charlie. He came back and said that the man did not sign and that he had to go back the next day.

The next day the man asked for 500 bahts. I had already explained to my friend that if he spoke about 500, I would agree. So, the registrationpapers were finally signed.

And I had the same problem when I wanted to have an address for the house that I built : the constructor was also working at the Or Bor Tor and I could not get the address if I did not accept to pay 50 000 bahts more on the construction.

He even make the sign of cutting my throat when I first said no....

If you want more, I have.... all own experience. And because I am a woman I do not have as many as men because, luckily for me, they still think somewhere that farang woman living here alone are not as rich as farang men.....(true in my case).

Edited by aglae4
  • Like 2

Ya Corruption all around Thailand

I was parked in a NO PARKING Zone and had just come back. The cop was booting my tire. So I go in the car and just before he was going to write the ticket out I said in Thai

How much He said 500 I said Oh sorry I only have 2 he said no and then put his pen on the paper and I said OK 300 that is all I have He put his hand in the window below the window ledge and I slipped the 300 into his hand. He then said

Have a good day Took the boot off the tire and looked for another sucker

Oh well better than paying the 500 and having to haul down to the Police station to get them to come and unlock the Boot So I look at it this way

I SAVED 200 baht since the actual fine was 500

Sad state of affairs here in Thailand with Corruption

Got stopped on moped thing, no helmet, this was in the local town.

I said, what's the problem? No helmet. I said, I don't own a helmet, farang head too big they don't sell in my size. Oh, okay see you later.

• Like 1

Remember, the vast majority of experts on TV are not even in Thailand, so the time differences means they will start their posting in a few hours time.

And many have never been to Thailand. But that don't stop em posting.biggrin.png

When you are actually in Thailand, I would be happy to hear your experiences.

• Like 2

Yes-in fact I have often wondered Why the Govt.hasnt set up corruption report hotlines in all the major cities if actually they are serious about stopping it.

Police Clearance at the so-called ROYAL THAI POLICE OFFICE near SIam(BKK)A disgrace to the Royal Family to use their name and blatantly take bribes.They kept delaying our application un til one day another bloke came in and immediately got bhis stamp and was out,so I had to ask him what gives and he said just go oyutside and call them,someone will come out and get the money and you will get you approval and Voila-it happened just like he said.Really disgusting.Why not just bump upo the fee Baht 200.

And of course several times on the scooter about town-especially in Pattaya.

when the majority of people are in Thailand then I would like to think they are having too good a time to be on a forum conversing with others who are not even there.....

Before we start on all the "evils" that are perceived to plague our Host Nation, why don't we ALL write about the Graft, Corruption and other Crimes that abound in the country we all managed to "escape from?"

I am amazed at the cheek of people who come to this country and want to grizzle about it.

Clean-up your own country's muck first, and then perhaps, if anyone in authority in Thailand is interested in what miracles you have performed in your own back yard, you may be invited to impart your wisdom here.

• Like 2

... or you could have given your experience of corruption and we could have commented on that, then added our own.

Just saying like ...  Posted Image

I have none so far as I haven't been here long, people are always banging on about it so I'm interested

• Like 1

Wow. All posts bar two, minor driving offences. corruption big problem here then?

I'm sure there are many of us who could tell you stories that would make your toes curl. But we prefer not to hang our dirty linen out to dry. So, which heinous parking/speeding offence up next then w00t.gif

Reason for edit : coffee1.gif

Edited by jpeg

Your question does not come accross as that...read it.

You are asking if you had paid or offered and were rejected, sounds like you are saying both rejected, even after paying.

Hopefully the TV warriors can work it out

Here I've paid for additional 'fees' two times to officials- cash in hand- where documents that would have taken weeks or months to be produced then were produced within the hour. I'm not knocking it, it's kind of paying for an express service.

I've known of several people who applied for Ed visas but had no plans to seriously study anything and some people encouraging others to make false claims on an embassy income verification letter. Not actual personal knowledge, but I read about it here on Thai Visa, the hub of specious innuendo and dubious gossip, so it must be true.

I don't think that is what the OP is asking.