Living In Nakhon Ratchasima Soon. Help!?

Loz

Lawyers, letter from bank manager and work permit, what planet are you on? The guy is only coming to Korat to rent cheap accommodation and become a low cost teacher.

1) Rent cheap room, there are many if you stay away from the farang ghettos.

2) Bangkok bank in Korat will open an account for 500 baht

3) Work permit. If you work for one of the private schools you will be lucky to get one. More chance with a government school.

3) Try to avoid advice from people who appear to know to much.

1) Please inform me as to the location of the "farang ghetto" in Nakhon Ratchasima. I was unaware one existed there, although I have seen them in Chiang Mai. I wouldn't rent any apartment anywhere without a lease; feel free to do as you please for yourself but to suggest that the legal standing a lease provides isn't a good idea for anybody else is doing the OP a disfavor.

2) I've only opened two bank accounts in Thailand. They needed my passport and wanted a work permit both times; the second time a minimum deposit of 50,000Bt was required. I believe that would have been lower if I had a work permit.

3) OP has already stated that he will be getting a work permit.

4) Yes, do.

Lawyers, letter from bank manager and work permit, what planet are you on? The guy is only coming to Korat to rent cheap accommodation and become a low cost teacher.

1) Rent cheap room, there are many if you stay away from the farang ghettos.

2) Bangkok bank in Korat will open an account for 500 baht

3) Work permit. If you work for one of the private schools you will be lucky to get one. More chance with a government school.

3) Try to avoid advice from people who appear to know to much.

1) Please inform me as to the location of the "farang ghetto" in Nakhon Ratchasima. I was unaware one existed there, although I have seen them in Chiang Mai. I wouldn't rent any apartment anywhere without a lease; feel free to do as you please for yourself but to suggest that the legal standing a lease provides isn't a good idea for anybody else is doing the OP a disfavor.

2) I've only opened two bank accounts in Thailand. They needed my passport and wanted a work permit both times; the second time a minimum deposit of 50,000Bt was required. I believe that would have been lower if I had a work permit.

3) OP has already stated that he will be getting a work permit.

4) Yes, do.

M apartments PK apartments paying over 4500 a month plus about 7 baht a unit on electric plus inflated water cost. I pay 2500 baht for a Very nice 2 bed house in large grounds near to the centre of the city. I also get free cable and free water. My electric costs are the standard company charges. Just need to make a bit of an effort and not listen to the experts. I have a three year lease.

If you pay me 45,000 baht I will teach you how to open a bank account for 500 Baht, It would be cheaper than paying a lawyer....... And for a small cost I will find you someone who can read Thai and explain your apartment lease in English for you.

I've been assured my work permit and teachers Licence will be sorted on arrival as original docs are required.

Banking sounds simple, thats good news.

Renting a resonable place does not sound to taxing so I think I should be ok. I'm looking for an appartment or small house/bungalow so if you know of any, I'd be truly grateful if you could put me in touch. One kind Gent (Jeff1) has a iron in the fire already on this, which is much appreciated.

................................................................................

Hiya Loz,

Repeated advice:- Don,t rely on the work permit ect. until you physically get it in your passport.

Try staying at the Korat hotel which is recommended and you,ve decided on and find your way around to get the feel of the place, there,s no rush so stay cool.

You may be able to do a deal with them if your going to stay a few days or even a month.

Under normal circumstances you,ll be surprised at the reductions establishments offer on this.

If you go this way make sure as advised that you are aware of the rates for water and electric charges which usually go on top of the monthly rate.

Try emailing them if they have a web site and if so ask for the special rates for a couple of weeks and at the same time if they do a deal on a monthly stay.

I reckon that you could possibly get advice and help from your new school colleagues once you get there so bide your time till then.

As stated by several posters you don,t need a lawyer to rent or do the things you have in mind.

A deposit of 1 or 2 months is the normal rate.

Lot,s of very good advice in this thread for you, which can be applied all over Thailand by the way.

Make your own mind up on what it,s like in Thailand as everyone is different, while taking on board

any useful observations.

Also try to contact one of the local farang hang outs that will be only to pleased to offer advice and the benefit of their experience in addition to what T.Visa has offered you.

Again get one of your colleagues to go with you on your needs as they will be familiar with the area along with being able to read any contract that will normally be in Thai and translate it for you, when you decide to rent.

Another thing unless i,ve missed it, what kind of visa are you coming with initially ?

If you possibly can and qualify, get a multi entry one as the cost shouldn,t be much more, unless your going to Hull that is ????????

Come on the assumption that you,re not going to get the promised work permit, just in case.

It could also be some time before you get by it, the way.

Again the cost of being prepared visa wise is more than worth it.

Good luck, enjoy and again stay coooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

You,ve already found the best source for help and advice so keep in touch, bet you,ll be ready for a sleep after reading this post.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

A nice two bed house near the city for under 4500bht would be just fine. never mind free bits and bats..

I think I can already open an account for 500bht so I'll save the 45k if it's all the same. But thanks for the heads up!

Loz

Couple of points to add, you can actually open a bank account with 100 baht, all they need is a copy of your passport. Rent in Korat is cheap, plenty to rent. Prices obviously vary depending what your looking for, I know people who have rented three storey town houses for 1500 baht a month, my neighbour rents a three bedroom bungalow for 6000 baht a month, my wife rents out a four bedroom house for 10000 baht a month, this gives some ideas on prices. When you rent a house / apartment, ask the person leasing it to provide the rental agreement in english, this will not be a problem because they are sold in most book shops, they are direct translations of "standard" agreements written in Thai. I would advise that there is little point looking for a lawyer, it's probably fair to say that Thai lawyers are the same as most others and are in the game to make money rather than actually help. I've had more than one experience with Korat lawyers and my opinion is that they are as useful as a hand brake in a canoe. As I say, my experience. As others have mentioned, go to the Pasinee, where there are lots of people who will point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Kev

...... I've had more than one experience with Korat lawyers and my opinion is that they are as useful as a hand brake in a canoe........

Cheers

Kev

:o:D:D

Just got up off the floor on that one Kev. Anyway good advice. Oh yea, Kev, see you when you get here in June. :D

All these properties on offer? I wish they had been available when I was looking. Someone should start an office!

Alternative is to recommend Passinee Cafe,near Sri Pattana Hotel(not recommended) on Suranaree Road to put up a ads noticeboard. Passinee is the best watering hole for farangs,along with the Scandanavian Pizza cafe next door.

Shows we also need a Korat Club.

Edited by Korat Correct

Wow!!

That is a wealth of information, guys. Thank you all, once again.

To clarify. I am coming in on a Non Immigration Business Visa with mulitple Entry. I DID get it from Hull. Using a letter from my school.

I will as you say, be cautious about getting everything lined up regarding paperwork but, I have had nothing but helpful advice and info from the Headmaster so far so I can't knock them. I have heard the horror stories too about bad treatment though. So my eyes are open.

Looks like I will be able to get something between 3 bedroom bungalow and three story townhouse within my budget. House with a bit of garden would be nice but I'm not looking to live like a king.

Any good leads on houses to rent ( furnished if possible ) much appreciated.

I have e mailed the Korat Hotel but not had a reply yet. Will try again. trying to get a 12 night stay. That should give me time to find a place to live more permentantly without rushing too much?

Looking forward to my first cold one with new aquantences in Pasinee!

Is that somewhere between the train station and the shell garage on Jomsurangyat Road??

Edited by Loz

Only point i was raising on the Hull consulate referred to the costs.

I used to get an multi entry 1 year "O" visa from there.

I was talking with another bloke who used Birmingham.

I was telling him how good Hull was and i got a multi entry there and only had to pay 45 quid for it.

15 quid per re entry. for one year with the last one free.

( Plus of course you had to pay him a tenner to issue it on top. )

He said, Your joking, he,s effin doing you, it,s only 15 quid with all the re entries at Birmingham.

Sure enough, i used Birmingham for the next 2 years and only paid the 15 quid.

They couldn,t be more helpful and i used the post with a guaranteed 48 hour return as recommended by them.

I went right off him double quick and it took me some time to forget it, what a ****

He,d been doing me for the last few years while i,d been recommending him to everyone.

marshbags :o:D:D

P.S. hope this doesn,t qualify for a moan as it actually happened and i advise all now about this incident.

Edited by marshbags

Thats useful Info, Marshbags.

Not so much a moan as it is telling us what to watch out for. I paid 90 quid plus the tenna for turning up on the doorstep to get it sorted. from all that is published it seemed the right price. I also lived/worked within easy driving distance so was not an issue.

Wow!!

That is a wealth of information, guys. Thank you all, once again.

To clarify. I am coming in on a Non Immigration Business Visa with mulitple Entry. I DID get it from Hull. Using a letter from my school.

I will as you say, be cautious about getting everything lined up regarding paperwork but, I have had nothing but helpful advice and info from the Headmaster so far so I can't knock them. I have heard the horror stories too about bad treatment though. So my eyes are open.

Looks like I will be able to get something between 3 bedroom bungalow and three story townhouse within my budget. House with a bit of garden would be nice but I'm not looking to live like a king.

Any good leads on houses to rent ( furnished if possible ) much appreciated.

I have e mailed the Korat Hotel but not had a reply yet. Will try again. trying to get a 12 night stay. That should give me time to find a place to live more permentantly without rushing too much?

Looking forward to my first cold one with new aquantences in Pasinee!

Is that somewhere between the train station and the shell garage on Jomsurangyat Road??

I know a two bed house renting for 4000 near the city contact me when you get here to see if still available. They will not hold for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Taught and lived in Isan, going on four years now. Never signed a rental or lease contract (one never offered). Utilize any network you can start building right away through your school contacts. The best arrangements are where you come recommended by a Thai colleague or friend to the prospective landlord who may be their acquaintance/friend. There's an immediate trust factor built in, which far outweighs a written document in this culture/society.

In my opinion, contracts do not mean much in Thailand anyway, compared to the West. That includes teaching contracts, sorry. When they use one, it's usually an accommodation to the foreigner. But when push comes to shove, it's the connections and network you will forge here which will help you through tough situations (and probably not a lawyer nor a contract).

It's really the way things used to be even in the West (150 years ago!). It has its advantages. You're at a slight disadvantage in that you're arriving "green". However, you'll be amazed at how quickly you'll be able to establish friendships and a network of trusted friends and colleagues here--probably quicker among the Thai than the expats, even.

I'm sure a week or two in hotel will be enough time to do it. Good plan.

Best of luck to you, but I don't think you'll need it. You are much more prepared (especially thanks to your research and networking here on Thai Visa.com) than I was when I came, and I had no major problems setting up housekeeping and easing into a teaching job. Flexibility and a "mai bpen rai" approach to seemingly insolvable problems out of your control will smooth your path tremendously.

Keep checking in to let us know of your progress!

By Dress up, I'm assuming a suit shirt and tie would be the order of the day?

Ps. here in england everyone is getting excited as the weather is ooooooo, almost 22 degrees

Nah ... long trousers, nice shirt with collar and proper shoes is plenty. :o

What you do'nt wear is beach shorts, tank top and rubber slippers.

Naka.

When I opened my Bangkok Bank account I wore shorts, a shirt, and flip-flops (because it was bloody hot/humid on that particular day). I had no trouble opening an account. If I was at home in the US, under similar circumstances, I would probably do the same.

I am not saying that I am proud of dressing this way when going to a bank, but merely stating that it was not a big concern to the bank that I dressed casually. I think that some folks worry too much. Perhaps they lack a good demeaner/character, and have to make up this deficit by dressing up like a prom king. Or maybe they are impervious to the hot/humid weather in LOS. Kudos to them if they are.

Toptuan

I used my appartment contract to get a residence authority from Council offices in Korat to then apply successfully for a Thai driving licence.

Once you have a driving licence you have a sort of Thai identity card which you can produce to show.

It has your face,signature and address on it.

It is quite useful to have if you get stopped by the local constabulary and don't speak the language.

Apartment contract? Residence Authority? Thai driving license?

I think you're complicating life too much--thinking in Western Mode.

I don't know a single farang in my entire province (OK, that's about 20 individuals) who has any of these. I've been stopped about six times by police for routine traffic checks (helmet, driver's license, etc.). I show them my expired USA driving license, and the non-English-reading cop always smiles and waves me on. Same modus operandi for my other expat friends.

I would guess 75% of the Thai have none of the documents we would normally consider "necessary" for daily life (with the exception of their national ID card). So, why raise the bar and make life more complicated for the rest of us?

Mai bpen rai, dude.

Toptuan,

Like your chilled out approach. I guess I am going to try for a half way house between the two mindsets. Have enough credentials to pass inspection but not get carried away.

Must confess though, A thai driving licence does sound like a smart move. thinking rentals, police checks, boarder crossings... hmmm must be advancing in years...

Apartment contract? Residence Authority? Thai driving license?

I think you're complicating life too much--thinking in Western Mode.

Whatever works for you...

As for myself, I have more respect for Thailand, Thai laws, Thai regulations, and Thai officials than that. I intend to comply with everything they require, like a Thai driver's license to drive. So do the expats *I* know in Isaan.

Everyone should find their own comfort zone. Once you get here, you'll find yours. And, it might suprise you how laid back you'll become, like the Thai. One of the nice things about LOS.

You'll find that respect for Thais and Thai culture goes much deeper than forcing your new Thai experience through the sieve of Western thinking. If you do the latter, you'll REALLY lose their respect!

When I first moved here, I found out the only way to get from my university to the city center was to make a U-turn on a bridge exactly at a spot which had a huge "NO U-TURN" sign. Not knowing what else to do, I got in line with a dozen other vehicles who were doing the illegal U-Turn, but still felt quite guilty about it.

After about a month of this blatant law-breaking, I was waiting to do the U-turn by myself one day (no one else in the queue), and a policeman pulled up behind me. "Busted," I thought, guiltily. I caught his eye in my rearview, and smiled a bit sheepishly. All he did was impatiently motion for me to get going--because I was slowing down HIS illegal U-Turn!

It was that little incident that brought out, in my mind, the reality of how differently the Thai think about formality, laws, contracts, "form vs. substance," and dozens of other things we westerners get up-tight about. For us farangs, I guess it's better to err on the safe side for awhile until you get your footing in this new culture. I guarantee you, you'll look back after a couple years, and be quite amazed at how much you've mellowed out since arriving!

I do wish you the best as you embark on this big adventure of your life. Thailand is a wonderful place to begin it!

Edited by toptuan

Toptuan

You carry your heart on your sleeve.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Many traffic and other laws may be made to flout.

And in many cases the law is an ass,

BUT when Korat has more deaths than any other area at Songkran

When you see pedestrians prostate in the road after being knocked down.

When you see traffic shoot the lights on red

When you see motorbikes doing 180 degree turns in front of you

When you see traffic coming at you on the wrong side of the road.

We have a responsibility to protect the next generation from these and do something.

What we can do may be limited but I am hoping a Korat Expats Club can develop a dialogue with the authorities, to ask if with the increase in traffic Korat has seen over the last ten years, to do something to stop the carnage.

I do hope you can join us to do that?

We have a responsibility to protect the next generation from these and do something.

What we can do may be limited but I am hoping a Korat Expats Club can develop a dialogue with the authorities, to ask if with the increase in traffic Korat has seen over the last ten years, to do something to stop the carnage.

Like many of us, I have some "friends" on the local Police force and they are already under "pressure" to "stop the carnage" as you put it. I for one, will not be putting any more pressure on them and have them start "singling out" Farang in their pursuit.

I'm with Derek and Cheeky Farang (Richard) on this. As Derek said, you are championing quite a number of "noble causes" and I admire you for your enthusiasm. But my cart is rather full in my village and my "visits" to Korat are for some "fun and relaxation". But again, that's me. Still look forward to a meet up on June 1. :o:D

Toptuan

You carry your heart on your sleeve.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Many traffic and other laws may be made to flout.

And in many cases the law is an ass,

BUT when Korat has more deaths than any other area at Songkran

When you see pedestrians prostate in the road after being knocked down.

When you see traffic shoot the lights on red

When you see motorbikes doing 180 degree turns in front of you

When you see traffic coming at you on the wrong side of the road.

Korat:

As a teacher who loses one or two students a year to the road carnage, I couldn't agree with you more.

However, you're reading a lot more into my posting than is there. You'll notice I didn't say a thing about whether their or our outlook is right or wrong. The point I'm making in my posting is that it's DIFFERENT. The ethical questions are an entirely different matter. But you must first get throught the eye-opener of the cultural issues, first. That's what I'm posting about.

Korat: I'm pretty pessimistic about what can be accomplished in this arena by expats. We'll always be guests in this country. Imagine a group of Asian non-citizen guests in your home country, banning together to tell your native authorities that your laws and practices are screwed up, and something should be done about it. At the least, there'd be a public outrcy by the local citizens about a group of "_________" (insert perjorative racial slur) who have come over here to criticize our way of life; and if they don't like it, they can go back home."

I daresay the reaction is even stronger in Asia, where your proposed action would result in a loss of face. With Ken, I'm afraid we'll just bring more of the wrath of the authorities and even local citizens down on our heads. "Sure we'll crack down--and we'll start with YOU, the boat-rockin' mouthy farangs, who can't leave us alone!"

There are those in government (few and far between) who are up in arms over this situation too. Last fall, a Bangkok court sentenced to DEATH a drunk driver who killed two students in my town. That's pointing things in the right direction. However, these truly concerned Thai citizens first need to get the upper hand in combatting the corrupt law enforcement establishment who are always on the take. For it to really happen, I submit that it's going to have to come from within the ranks of Thai citizens, not from the foreigners in their midist.

Suddenly, I realized we've hijacked the topic of this thread. My apologies. Perhaps we should move to a new thread, if you want to continue the dialogue.

Edited by toptuan

Korat: I'm pretty pessimistic about what can be accomplished in this arena by expats. We'll always be guests in this country. Imagine a group of Asian non-citizen guests in your home country, banning together to tell your native authorities that your laws and practices are screwed up, and something should be done about it. At the least, there'd be a public outrcy by the local citizens about a group of "_________" (insert perjorative racial slur) who have come over here to criticize our way of life; and if they don't like it, they can go back home."

I daresay the reaction is even stronger in Asia, where your proposed action would result in a loss of face. With Ken, I'm afraid we'll just bring more of the wrath of the authorities and even local citizens down on our heads. "Sure we'll crack down--and we'll start with YOU, the boat-rockin' mouthy farangs, who can't leave us alone!"

There are those in government (few and far between) who are up in arms over this situation too. Last fall, a Bangkok court sentenced to DEATH a drunk driver who killed two students in my town. That's pointing things in the right direction. However, these truly concerned Thai citizens first need to get the upper hand in combatting the corrupt law enforcement establishment who are always on the take. For it to really happen, I submit that it's going to have to come from within the ranks of Thai citizens, not from the foreigners in their midist.

Suddenly, I realized we've hijacked the topic of this thread. My apologies. Perhaps we should move to a new thread, if you want to continue the dialogue.

You are so right. I for one would be pretty pissed if a local farang group caused the local police to to pay more attention to us more chilled ex pats. But the reality of the situation is that it will never happen. As a group I think we have more sense. "Farang is the name, anonymity is the game!" I came to live in Thailand to get away from all this, didn't you? (question to all)

You are so right. I for one would be pretty pissed if a local farang group caused the local police to to pay more attention to us more chilled ex pats. But the reality of the situation is that it will never happen. As a group I think we have more sense. "Farang is the name, anonymity is the game!" I came to live in Thailand to get away from all this, didn't you? (question to all)

Martin, I see you haven't mastered the "quote" thingy yet as you have my name for Korat Corrects quote. But never mind. :D And to answer your question, YES indeed, I came to Thailand to get away from the "rat race". Kind of plan to keep it that way too. :o

And sort of back on topic. Loz should now be settled in at the Korat Hotel and "as we speak" getting ready for his first day "on the job". Good luck Loz. :D