Living In Nakhon Ratchasima Soon. Help!?

Loz

Hi,

Leaving the UK for a life teaching in Nakhon Ratchasima beginning of June. Wondered if you could help me please.

1).

I am looking for a place to rent and wondered what kind of accomodation 5000 - 7000 bhat would get me. ideally two bedrooms. I'd welcome any contacts to help me find a place and move in quickly. Furnished preferably as I have nothing more than a holdall's worth of "Stuff".

2).

I land in bangkok saturday morning and have to be starting work in Nakhon Ratchasima on the Monday. I had planned to spend saturday in Bangkok and then travel up on sunday and find somewhere to stay (hotel?) for a couple of nights while I arrange a rental. Is this CRAZY?? Should I be getting straight up to there and finding digs?

3).

Never rented before. What should I know/bring to Thailand to help smooth the rental process out?

Sorry to be so demanding in my first thread. JUst hoping to get help.

Regards,

Loz

The trains run from Bangkok to Nakhon Ratchasima several times a day, so getting there shouldn't be an issue. I would recommend arriving in daylight hours though, if for no reason other than having time to find a hotel room and get a bit settled.

There are plenty of hotels. One not mentioned on the list at the top of this forum section is the Pavilion. It's decent, not 4 or 5 star quality, but good enough for a few days. I got a suite for about $25 a night, as they didn't have any ordinary rooms available. But don't expect any English-speaking staff there! You can also walk to the Mall from there.

A good thing to bring with you might be a letter of introduction from your banker. In it he can mention what a good customer you are, and what services you might need. Perhaps a letter of recommendation from your current landlord, too, though I don't know if that will help. It's harder to find people with fluent English in Korat than Bangkok. Find a good English-speaking lawyer. PM me and I will send you what contact info I have for mine.

Thanks Cathy.

That is very helpful. Unfortunatley I don't have a Landlord as I have owned my own property for the last 11 years. Trouble also with the UK is that we don't have personal Bank Managers anymore (unless you are 7 figures high net worth, which I am not) So letter of intro might be a problem. I do have a job to go to though so perhaps my employer could right me a reference. migh t get my old employer to right me a standard letter of reference too. Fortunately I parted on Good terms.

Is it a lengthy process to rent a place in Korat. and also, am I better off calling it Korat.

At the risk of sounding "green", why will I need a Lawyer?

LOZ

Korat Hotel Adsang Road is in the centre of Korat at 500bht + per night if you are staying a week or more.

You will need that to find a furnished rental which are few and far between and more expensive.

Try lodging with an existing Korat teacher to get your bearings. Consider hiring a motorbike, if funds are low, to get around.

I know of unfurnished places for 2500bht+ and if you buy a fan, mattress, use cheap chairs and a table and eat out you can get by on

a shoe string.

Try the Passinee Restaurant and Drinking hole to meet other teachers

This is near the Sri Pattana hotel ( not recommended) on Suraneree Road.

A note about valuables. You need a safe! Hotels have them.

When you get established a safe box at a bank will do.

If you have nothing to secure.. God help you here.

You're going to sign a legal document written in a foreign language by a complete stranger without anybody to advise you? Sure, go ahead!

Edited by cathyy

You're going to sign a legal document written in a foreign language by a complete stranger without anybody to advise you? Sure, go ahead!

Fair point, well made.

Guess I am totally new to both Thailand and renting so require a little guidance. Thanks for the kick in the nads. Your point was well made. :o

LOZ

Korat Hotel Adsang Road is in the centre of Korat at 500bht + per night if you are staying a week or more.

You will need that to find a furnished rental which are few and far between and more expensive.

Try lodging with an existing Korat teacher to get your bearings. Consider hiring a motorbike, if funds are low, to get around.

I know of unfurnished places for 2500bht+ and if you buy a fan, mattress, use cheap chairs and a table and eat out you can get by on

a shoe string.

Try the Passinee Restaurant and Drinking hole to meet other teachers

This is near the Sri Pattana hotel ( not recommended) on Suraneree Road.

A note about valuables. You need a safe! Hotels have them.

When you get established a safe box at a bank will do.

If you have nothing to secure.. God help you here.

That is really great info, Thanks KK.

THe Korat Hotel is the best one I had found on the 'net so thanks for confirming that its the right choice. Took me a day to find it!

Will I be able to find funished rentals for under 7000bht a month? Any idea what kind of deposit I'll need?

Guess I can buy a small safe locally like the ones they sell in hardware stores over here in the UK???

Passinee Restaurant I had seen on here as well so thanks for the heads up on that one and avoiding the local hotel. any more info gratefully recieved.

was thinking of raw bolts as at home but if you are saying that a safe deposit in a bank is a better bet then I guess I'll be guided by your judgement. I don't really want to be parted from my ID and banking credentials. What do you do with your Passports? keep them on you?

World will be so much easier when you CAN (not have to...) have your passport as an inplant in your left arm along with all the jabs that are required to circomnavigate the globe these days. I guess its not that far away..

Back on topic.

Thanks for the help.

Am I right in saying the follow is a good plan?

1) Arrive in Korat and stay at the Korat Hotel for 12 nights @ 6000bht

2) In that time do some foot work and ask around the expat bars/schools etc for houses/apparments to rent, furnished or otherwise around the 5000Bht a month price range.

2b) Find an honest English speaking Lawyer who can advise on the rent agreement and make sure I'm not ripped off.

3) Get a good idea of what 5000bht will get me and make a choice.

4) Find out about local banking and open an account? (Any Idea what I'll need for this? just a deposit account.)

5) breath in......breath out.... repeat as required.

Sounds good to me. When will you be arriving? I won't be back in Korat until late June. And there's always a chance someone at the Pasinee can help you read the lease, too. Lawyers aren't cheap anywhere. And you'll need your passport, maybe your work permit to open the bank account. Maybe a 50,000 minimum opening deposit, too, depending on the bank. The school IS getting you a work permit, right?

Yes Cathy,

The School is getting me a work permit and teaching license as well as bupa cover. I feel I should take out some private health care though including Med-Evac cover. any pointers on this (even if just to other threads) appreciated.

I'll be there 28th May. 3 weeks now... Exciting? You better believe it!

LOZ

Think of bringing pounds sterling. The baht has been high against many currencies but as the dollar falls and the pound rises you get more baht for your pound. Bringing sterling gives you the option to change it as and when.

As far as furnished accomm. is concerned its abit scarce here. Think of an unfurnished one and make do with modest furniture if funds are moderate. 3000bht /month should get you two rooms a shower/bathroom and small kitchen area.

Basic furniture can be had at the many furniture stores.

UOB Bank offer savings/current accounts for farangs with safe boxes. Mine cost 1500bht / year and 3000bht deposit.

Deposit accounts for (baht) money you don't need for 3 months at 3.75% less 15%tax.

If you can't find a fellow teacher to help, and get desperate,use this site to email me. I live in Korat and have been through it recently.

Overwhelmed by how helpful the users of this site are. If you don't mind I'd like to buy you a beer when the dust settles, KK. I've been going round in circles looking for info that you appear to have at your fingertips.

3000 baht sounds very reasonable for the accomdation that you discribe. based on expected income I had budgeted 5000-7000bht and I have a friend coming who will split that for the time he is around (a few months maybe...) would that be enough for a modest bungalow with at least two bedrooms?

I'll not blow fortunes on funishings as someone pointed out. only really need a dining table, couple of BIG bean bags (or if not to dear, a two peice suite), a Bed+Mattress and some bed linen. Don't want to blow loads of cash, the purpose of coming out here is to get away from the materialism of my life in the UK. German sports cars, multiple properties and "Stuff". Don't want the rat-Race anymore. just a humble but relaxed and enjoyable existance. Ideally for the rest of my days... and finishing a short days work having quantifiably improved some lives for having been there.

Here endeth the sermon.

The word on the street is, I might have trouble negotiating my way from BKK airport to downtown and getting a room off the Khao San Road before a little sight seeing and getting the train up to Korat. Is the train from downtown BKK so I'm better staying the night in town than near the airport?

Am I right in thinking that english and limited bit of phrase-book thai will get me through this and getting my room at the hotel for 12 nights?

Well....the good news is that the train station in BKK is right across the street from the airport terminal. Assuming the new airport hasn't opened yet. There's even a sign in English pointing in vaguely the right direction. Depending on what time your flight arrives, it might be most convenient to skip BKK entirely and just catch the next train. I'd do it if I could, because I just don't care for Bangkok, any more than I care for New York or Los Angeles. Not a big city kind of girl. For me, that's not possible though, as my flight arrives several hours later than the last train of the evening, and way too many hours before the next train in the morning. Here's a link tothe train schedules. Korat == Nakhon Ratchasima, if you don't already know that.

If you are willing to pay for convenience, the Amari Airport Hotel is connected to the airport terminal via a skywalk. I do mean pay; the rooms are over $200 American a night. For me, the convenience and security has been worth it more than once. They have a special guarded floor for women traveling alone. The hotel is exquisite, well worth the money if you can spare it.

Thanks Again Cathy!

(do I check this thread too often...?)

I think from what others have said, I might be quickest blowing £30 on a taxi from the airport to Korat. For the sake of saving time, reducing confusion and getting into semi perminent digs after a 12 hour flight, I think its money well spent.

I'll then have saturday to recover and do a little leg-work sussing out the mall, car hire, passinee bar/restaurant.

Moving to a delicate subject....

What is the deal with cheap motorbike hire or Truck Hire in Korat? don't want anything fancy, just cheap INSURED transport.

Not even sure if I'll need it but its good to have options. If I have to buy a bed (if I wind up in unfurnished rental) then I figure I'll need a truck to get it home along with table, chairs, etc..

What a load of nonsense ... Bank Manager Reference, Lawer for renting a cheap room,

Landlord reference :o

You need none of that :D

I've rented in Thailand for many years, and never ever signed a contract !

Opened three savings accounts with just my passport and a thousand Baht note !

Naka.

Edited by naka

Naka,

Thank you, that is more encouraging news! I'm hoping the "word of mouth" thing will work in my favour and I'll find a place to rent through expat contacts. I'm going to be aroudn for a while so not a "flight risk".

Heres hoping...

Naka,

Thank you, that is more encouraging news! I'm hoping the "word of mouth" thing will work in my favour and I'll find a place to rent through expat contacts. I'm going to be aroudn for a while so not a "flight risk".

Heres hoping...

You are welcome. Some always see the glass as half empty :o

Couple of tips.

Renting ... keep a copy of the deposit receipt. Deposit is normally = 1 or 2 months.

Make sure you know the electricity rate ... normally about Bt5 per unit.

Banking ... If the first bank you try is being "difficult", just go to another one.

Try Bangkok bank or Siam Commercial ... and go to the main branch

as they are more likely to have safety deposit boxes and some staff who

speak english.

Dress up when you go in to open the account.

Naka.

By Dress up, I'm assuming a suit shirt and tie would be the order of the day?

Ps. here in england everyone is getting excited as the weather is ooooooo, almost 22 degrees

By Dress up, I'm assuming a suit shirt and tie would be the order of the day?

Ps. here in england everyone is getting excited as the weather is ooooooo, almost 22 degrees

Nah ... long trousers, nice shirt with collar and proper shoes is plenty. :o

What you do'nt wear is beach shorts, tank top and rubber slippers.

Naka.

Sounds good to me. When will you be arriving? I won't be back in Korat until late June. And there's always a chance someone at the Pasinee can help you read the lease, too. Lawyers aren't cheap anywhere. And you'll need your passport, maybe your work permit to open the bank account. Maybe a 50,000 minimum opening deposit, too, depending on the bank. The school IS getting you a work permit, right?

Lawyers, letter from bank manager and work permit, what planet are you on? The guy is only coming to Korat to rent cheap accommodation and become a low cost teacher.

1) Rent cheap room, there are many if you stay away from the farang ghettos.

2) Bangkok bank in Korat will open an account for 500 baht

3) Work permit. If you work for one of the private schools you will be lucky to get one. More chance with a government school.

3) Try to avoid advice from people who appear to know to much.

Well....the good news is that the train station in BKK is right across the street from the airport terminal. Assuming the new airport hasn't opened yet. There's even a sign in English pointing in vaguely the right direction. Depending on what time your flight arrives, it might be most convenient to skip BKK entirely and just catch the next train. I'd do it if I could, because I just don't care for Bangkok, any more than I care for New York or Los Angeles. Not a big city kind of girl. For me, that's not possible though, as my flight arrives several hours later than the last train of the evening, and way too many hours before the next train in the morning. Here's a link tothe train schedules. Korat == Nakhon Ratchasima, if you don't already know that.

If you are willing to pay for convenience, the Amari Airport Hotel is connected to the airport terminal via a skywalk. I do mean pay; the rooms are over $200 American a night. For me, the convenience and security has been worth it more than once. They have a special guarded floor for women traveling alone. The hotel is exquisite, well worth the money if you can spare it.

If you do decide to go to Khao San Road, and want to keep the budget under control, and keep it easy:

1. Exit the arrivals hall and head toward the taxi stand;

2. When you get outside, turn left and walk to the end of the building (50m - 100m). There is a cubicle selling tickets for the airport buses, they speak english, one of the buses goes to Khao San, and the girl will tell you when the right bus arrives.

I've been assured my work permit and teachers Licence will be sorted on arrival as original docs are required.

Banking sounds simple, thats good news.

Renting a resonable place does not sound to taxing so I think I should be ok. I'm looking for an appartment or small house/bungalow so if you know of any, I'd be truly grateful if you could put me in touch. One kind Gent (Jeff1) has a iron in the fire already on this, which is much appreciated.

I've been assured my work permit and teachers Licence will be sorted on arrival as original docs are required.

Banking sounds simple, thats good news.

Renting a resonable place does not sound to taxing so I think I should be ok. I'm looking for an appartment or small house/bungalow so if you know of any, I'd be truly grateful if you could put me in touch. One kind Gent (Jeff1) has a iron in the fire already on this, which is much appreciated.

I have heard that before....... :o

Good luck with everything Loz, I think you will find Korat a pleasant place to live.

Look forward to meeting you some time.

Look forward to meeting you too, Derek

ps. I have it in writing and everything about this encounter has been above board so far so I don't want to concern myself with things that haven't happened yet.

Looking forward to waking up for the first time in Korat. I'm sure I will love it there. Seems just far enough from the madding crowd.