New safety measures for foreign visitors to be established: Thailand

webfact

New safety measures for foreign visitors to be established

BANGKOK, 27 Nov 2013 (NNT) - A working group comprising representatives from two key ministries has been set up to design comprehensive safety measures for foreign tourists following an accident that injured 30 Russians.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt recently met with Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Phureesrisak to discuss ways to enhance safety for foreign travelers after 30 Russians were wounded in an accident.

The incident prompted Russia's council of tourism industry to issue an ultimatum to the Thai Government to take action in ensuring safety for foreigners, or they would stop encouraging Russians to visit Thailand. The Russian tourism council indicated that it has more than 5,000 travel agencies under its chain which are ready to recommend other tourist destinations to their customers.

Nonetheless, the meeting between the ministers of Transports and Tourism covered tightened safety measures for all travelers, not just Russians, the Transport Minister said.

Mr. Chadchart stated that representatives from the government and private sectors also met at a recent meeting during which they identified a number of problems besetting foreign tourists.

Those problems include, among others, the lack of maturity of public transport drivers, driving licenses of foreigners, and vehicle rentals which were causes of several accidents happened to tourists.

The meeting established a working group to address the issues headed by Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Transport Ministry Teerapong Rodprasert. The committee will employ officials from both Transport and Tourism & Sports Ministries as well as tourism police and tourism related private agencies in formulating appropriate solutions within 2 weeks.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-27 footer_n.gif

Make it mandatory for all to drive/ride a vehicle with a valid driving license

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

" Make it mandatory for all to drive/ride a vehicle with a valid driving license "......

..............that is only obtainable upon successfully passing a meaningful driving test rolleyes.gif where the examiner is satisfied the candidate can safely manoeuvre the vehicle with due consideration for other road usersunsure.png

• Like 2

And after reading a press release of half a page, and a couple of hundred words that apparently catalogues all the extensive efforts of the ministry to insure the increased safety from not only Russia and the rest of the world, I notice that......to keep it simple......

They had a meeting............

• Like 2

Sometimes these articles beggar belief. Who on earth will they blame - anyone but themselves. "Driving licences of foreigners" indeed.

You do realize that Burmese, Vietnamese and others are also foreigners. Have you ever watched how they drive in other countries besides GB, Australia Europe and North America?

I would have thought improved "security measures" to stop these ministries being taken over by the Suthep mobs, might be a slightly higher priority for the Ministers at this juncture? Or haven't they been told there's a "people's rebellion" going on outside? sad.png

OMB, imagine how empty Thailand would be without the Russians... whistling.gif

I hope the Thai government does not like ultimatums (at least not from Russia) and I also hope that the Russians recommend to their 5000 travel agencies to go to other destinations, and NOT to Thailand clap2.gif

If only........ It is just wishful thinking, and not going to happen coffee1.gif

• Like 1

OMB, imagine how empty Thailand would be without the Russians... whistling.gif

I hope the Thai government does not like ultimatums (at least not from Russia) and I also hope that the Russians recommend to their 5000 travel agencies to go to other destinations, and NOT to Thailand clap2.gif

If only........ It is just wishful thinking, and not going to happen coffee1.gif

Exactly what i was thinking :D

• Like 1