Repair work on northern Thailand rail line almost finished

webfact

Repair work on northern rail line almost finished

184836-imagejpeg-272231-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand says the repair work on its northern rail line from Sila-art railway station to Chiang Mai is almost finished and ready to reopen to normal service early next month.

SRT chief mechanic Suprapass Seniwong na Aytthaya said that the repair work was earlier scheduled to finish end of this month, but by now repair work was almost 100% finished.

He said all wooden sleepers have been replaced by more than 450,000 concrete sleepers while some sections of the remaining 50 kilometer section in Lamphun and Lamparng provincial areas where workers were laying new rail tracks which will take about two days.

He said the SRT will test run the rail line on Thursday from Uttaradit to Chiang Mai.

The finished rail line will enable trains to run smoother than the previous line and passengers will be more convenient for their travel.

The SRT closed its northern rail line from Uttaradi to Chiang Mai for major repair and maintenance since September 16 following frequent rail mishaps on this special section.

Meanwhile the SRT said that all its seats on the first and second class train services on the northern lines from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and vice versa have been fully booked until end of December.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/repair-work-northern-rail-line-almost-finished/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-27

"He said all wooden sleepers have been replaced by more than 450,000 concrete sleepers" I've only had a chance to see the results in two areas during the past week.

South of Chiang Mai, there is new ballast ( rock base) and new rails, but new wood sleepers ( ties) have been used.

In Lamphun, I see old ballast, new wood ties (sleepers) and some new rails.

The work looks fine, but why the need to lie about the work ?

We shall see, I certainly hope so. A straight forward fix, all it needed was the budget to do it. Just up to the big wigs to stop skimming

from the maintenance budget. Not like the maintenance guys are incapable. Actually surprised how quickly they were able to get it done.

"He said all wooden sleepers have been replaced by more than 450,000 concrete sleepers" I've only had a chance to see the results in two areas during the past week.

South of Chiang Mai, there is new ballast ( rock base) and new rails, but new wood sleepers ( ties) have been used.

It's Thailand. They have to lie.

I just followed the rail line from Lamphun to CM and I did not see any wooden sleepers still in use. Perhaps the ones you saw were due for replacement, or some other local reason. It would not be due to a shortage of concrete sleepers, as plenty of them lying beside the tracks.

Thankfully, the terrible level crossings are all being upgraded.

The section I drive by daily is south of Saraphi station, north towards Chiang Mai. All new concrete sleepers. New ballast. Rails also been replaced (old rails still alongside, no sign of thieving). Stacks of old rotted wood sleepers on east side of Saraphi station.. Road crossings re-done (but not the tarmac either side).