Buying A Used Car In Korat Or Bangkok

Loz

Hi There,

More questions if you please. I am going to be working as teacher in Korat and until I read all about the price of stuff had not thought about a car. Now I am wondering...

How much would I pay for an old rough truck or car?

Are such things readily available?

Where would I find out about insurance and any road taxes that might apply?

Are there MOT (Safety type) tests?

I'm not after anything flash but I don't want to get arrested for being un roadworthy either...

What cars are popular (and cheap) in Thailand? Any Websites like out autotrader.co.uk??

Thanks again in anticiapation.

Can't wait to get out there!

Hi

First you have to convert your driving licence in a Thai one. You check with your Embassy what you need exactly (For me -French- translation by Embassy, photos and to to the Thai Administration nearby the "Chatuchak"- Flea Market-).

Secondly, having done a second hand car research recently, I have found that you can get a very reasonable opportunity around 300 000 Baths, (Compact, Low mileage, 3/4 years old). However you can find car in working conditions for less than 100 000 Baths

The two basic brand are Toyota and Honda (Thai manufactured) and Isuzu (Pick Up). In the country 9 cars out of 10 are pick up. (A new pick up costs around 500 000/600 000 Baths)

Plenty of sellers in Bangkok, and everywhere in Thailand.

I think there is a technical control as part of the selling procedure, (Not sure about that), but it must not be very stringent!!!

Welcome in Thailand

Edited by Asian Frog

Hi

First you have to convert your driving licence in a Thai one. You check with your Embassy what you need exactly (For me -French- transltion by Embassy, photos and to to the Thai Administration nearby the "Chatuchak"- Flea Market-).

Secondly, having done a second hand car research recently, I have found that you can get a very reasonable opportunity around 300 000 Baths, (Compact, Low mileage, 3/4 years old). However you can find car in working conditions for less than 100 000 Baths

The two basic brand are Toyaota and Honda (Thai manufactured) and Isuzu (Pick Up). In the country 9 cars out of 10 are pick up. (A new pick up costs around 500 000/600 000 Baths)

Plenty of sellers in Bangkok, and everywhere in Thailand.

I think there is a technical control as part of the selling procedure, (Not sure about that), but it must not be very stringent!!!

Welcome in Thailand

LOZ

You can drive on an International Driving Licence but if staying here better to get a Thai Licence.

You do not need to go to Bangkok. I have just obtained a Thai Licence here in Korat.

Considering a new Nissan pickup (with double cab,advisable) can be purchased for under 600kbht, think carefully about paying too much for a load of scrap. Cars ARE more expensive here.

Better to hire in the short term by the month.Under 20kbht plus a small deposit for the collision waiver.

If you want help email me through this site when you arrive in Korat.

LOZ

You can drive on an International Driving Licence but if staying here better to get a Thai Licence.

You do not need to go to Bangkok. I have just obtained a Thai Licence here in Korat.

Considering a new Nissan pickup (with double cab,advisable) can be purchased for under 600kbht, think carefully about paying too much for a load of scrap. Cars ARE more expensive here.

Better to hire in the short term by the month.Under 20kbht plus a small deposit for the collision waiver.

If you want help email me through this site when you arrive in Korat.

Actually I think he does need to go to Bangkok and get a letter showing an address in Thailand. This letter is "usually" obtained at one's embassy as stated in the first post. Then, indeed he can and should apply for his license in Korat.

Thank you, All

I was only wanting to spend under 100,000Bht on an old truck or something. Maybe I better set my sights lower on a bike I guess.

I thought my driving licence was international (UK) but when I get "established" and have a permenant address, I guess it would make sense to get a local one.

Public transport will be quite new for me as I have always had a car. Maybe I should wait a while before jumping in. The walk will do me good.

Thank you, All

I was only wanting to spend under 100,000Bht on an old truck or something. Maybe I better set my sights lower on a bike I guess.

I thought my driving licence was international (UK) but when I get "established" and have a permenant address, I guess it would make sense to get a local one.

Public transport will be quite new for me as I have always had a car. Maybe I should wait a while before jumping in. The walk will do me good.

Hi Loz

UK licences are normally for the EU ONLY and to get a international one you need to contact the AA (dont have to be a member) AND NOT DVLA (who issue uk licences).Can phone and get application form and costs £7.50,I think. This lasts 1 year, so you will not have to rush to get Thai licence. As a 'biker' in Uk, I would think very seriously before riding in Thailand.Its a dangerous way to travel if you are a novice. GOOD LUCK and I hope you find the truck you want. :o

excellent!

I've had all sorts of cars but the one I have fond memories for is an old VW Caddy Pick up truck. not flash, very basic. just simple and easy to fix. loved it. wish I never sold it. cost £650 and was a joy to drive. hope I can have a similar experience in Korat. I love rough old trucks. part of the back to basics lifestyle thing I guess.

I'll bet rust isn't quite the problem we have back here in blighty...

is there much of a market for rolling wrecks? old, as in 20 year old Trucks?

An old knackered truck would be awsome. I know that might seem a bit strange...

Does anyone remember the TV sit com, "The Good Life" ??

I feel a bit like Tom.

Loz.

Nip down to your Post Office or AA office tomorrow and get an international licence.

See here www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp002.html

Or do it online and get someone to post it to you when it arrives.

Note in this site that you will not need to leave your UK licence with them

if you pay the 4 quid "search fee" :o Tip ... print out this web pafe in case the

AA or P.O. do'nt know about the search fee option, as you want to have your

UK licence with you when you arrive here.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Thanks Naka,

I got my IDP two days ago from a local post office for £5.50 and have it with me now. No search fee charged. tried to give me change for £20 when I gave her a £10 note. I didn't take it. Too honest for my own good.

But thanks for the heads up.