Government Lottery...How Much Is Purse?

OMGImInPattaya

how do they determine which ticket numbers enter the draw - considering that the vendors are still selling the tickets on the morning of the draw ??

They don't enter ticket numbers. The numbers are drawn out of big glass revolving bowls, the numbers are inside red coloured balls. The other system used is a series of spinning drums, when the drum stops the picked number has a pointer.

how do they determine which ticket numbers enter the draw - considering that the vendors are still selling the tickets on the morning of the draw ??

They just draw numbers, which is the same as what most major lotteries would do. If no ticket corresponds to a winning number then that prize is not paid out.

For example:

Powerball Jackpot Rises To $400 Million After No Ticket Matches Winning Numbers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/15/powerball-jackpot-400-million_n_3930258.html

Each ticket costs 100-110 baht depending on where you buy it. Each ticket has two parts effectively multiplying any winnings by two. The top prize each drawing is 2 million baht(x2). This does not fluctuate. There are multiple smaller prizes awarded each drawing.

Thanks. D you have any idea of the number or the value of the tickets sold for each drawing? It seems like a complete ripoff when compared to the ticket prices and prize ratios in Western countries.

In regard to the whole morning selling situation - They draw the numbers sometime later in the day of the 1st and 15th of each month. This does not mean that vendors aren't still trying to sell ticket after the draw, as TIT! I believe the numbesr are not shown to the public until the day after the drawing. I could be wrong on this point.

In regard to the whole morning selling situation - They draw the numbers sometime later in the day of the 1st and 15th of each month. This does not mean that vendors aren't still trying to sell ticket after the draw, as TIT! I believe the numbesr are not shown to the public until the day after the drawing. I could be wrong on this point.

It's on the radio on the day isn't it ?

It's on the radio on the day isn't it ?

Yes it is. And also after the draw you can get the whole results on the internet (just google Thai Lottery and the date) or you will have to wait a couple of days for the result sheets to reach newsagents that sell lottery tickets.

They just draw numbers, which is the same as what most major lotteries would do. If no ticket corresponds to a winning number then that prize is not paid out.

For example:

Powerball Jackpot Rises To $400 Million After No Ticket Matches Winning Numbers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/15/powerball-jackpot-400-million_n_3930258.html

you miss the point completely. if vendors have surplus tickets then if one is a winner then they would obviously use it to claim that prize. think about that!!!!!!

Sigh.

The vendors HAVE to return the tickets prior to the draw time. ANY tickets not returned in time are considered null and void. There have been many cases of vendors trying to cash in a winning ticket that was voided because they didn't turn them in before the deadline (30 minutes prior to the draw I believe)

The numbers are drawn (I think they only broadcast the main number draw on TV) and within minutes of the draw there are hawkers zooming around the sois selling the sheets with the winning numbers (usually 5 or 10 baht a copy I think it is). They'll usually appear in the Thai newspapers the next day.

Here is the link to the Government Lottery Office: http://hopes.glo.or.th/main.php?filename=index___EN though it leaves a lot to be desired.

There are 2 tickets per "set" and 5 "sets" per number. It seems that if you had all "20" tickets and matched all the numbers and the special number(s) the max prize would be 30 mil baht (from the GLO website - Drawing the extra prize of the 1st prize in group I (unit 01-30), the prize is 30 million baht and in group II (unit 51-70), the prize is 20 million baht. )

The first prize (per ticket) is 2,000,000, second prize is 100,000, third prize is 40,000, fourth prize is 20,000, fifth prize is 10,000. An extra prize of 50,000 is given for the numbers that are closest to the first prize, there is a 2,000 baht prize if you get the last three digits and a 1,000 baht prize for the last two digits.

In the Thai lottery there is one first prize, five second prizes, ten third prizes, fifty fourth prizes, one hundred fifth prizes, two bonus prizes, four thousands prizes for three number and ten thousand prizes for two numbers.

If you win a prize, you’ll have to go to the GLO (Government Lottery Office) where you will receive a cheque. However, if the prize is less than 20,000 baht, you can go to a local agent and he/she will give the money to you in cash. There is tax, which you’ll have to pay in order to get the money. The nominal rate is 50 satang (0.5 baht) for every one hundred baht. If you cash your money at a local agent, they’ll normally charge you about 2 baht for every one hundred baht.

Sigh.

The vendors HAVE to return the tickets prior to the draw time. ANY tickets not returned in time are considered null and void. There have been many cases of vendors trying to cash in a winning ticket that was voided because they didn't turn them in before the deadline (30 minutes prior to the draw I believe)

The numbers are drawn (I think they only broadcast the main number draw on TV) and within minutes of the draw there are hawkers zooming around the sois selling the sheets with the winning numbers (usually 5 or 10 baht a copy I think it is). They'll usually appear in the Thai newspapers the next day.

Here is the link to the Government Lottery Office: http://hopes.glo.or.th/main.php?filename=index___EN though it leaves a lot to be desired.

There are 2 tickets per "set" and 5 "sets" per number. It seems that if you had all "20" tickets and matched all the numbers and the special number(s) the max prize would be 30 mil baht (from the GLO website - Drawing the extra prize of the 1st prize in group I (unit 01-30), the prize is 30 million baht and in group II (unit 51-70), the prize is 20 million baht. )

The first prize (per ticket) is 2,000,000, second prize is 100,000, third prize is 40,000, fourth prize is 20,000, fifth prize is 10,000. An extra prize of 50,000 is given for the numbers that are closest to the first prize, there is a 2,000 baht prize if you get the last three digits and a 1,000 baht prize for the last two digits.

In the Thai lottery there is one first prize, five second prizes, ten third prizes, fifty fourth prizes, one hundred fifth prizes, two bonus prizes, four thousands prizes for three number and ten thousand prizes for two numbers.

If you win a prize, you’ll have to go to the GLO (Government Lottery Office) where you will receive a cheque. However, if the prize is less than 20,000 baht, you can go to a local agent and he/she will give the money to you in cash. There is tax, which you’ll have to pay in order to get the money. The nominal rate is 50 satang (0.5 baht) for every one hundred baht. If you cash your money at a local agent, they’ll normally charge you about 2 baht for every one hundred baht.

so how do the vendors manage to get their unsold tickets returned and logged in to the sytem considering they are still selling on the streets of towns and citys around the country on the day of the draw. ok, so if the sellers in chonburi (for eg) manage to hand thir tickets back to some central point then the cental point must then inform the national point of all unsold numbers. doesnt seem logistically possible 0 does it? considering it is not electornic.

so how do the vendors manage to get their unsold tickets returned and logged in to the sytem considering they are still selling on the streets of towns and citys around the country on the day of the draw. ok, so if the sellers in chonburi (for eg) manage to hand thir tickets back to some central point then the cental point must then inform the national point of all unsold numbers. doesnt seem logistically possible 0 does it? considering it is not electornic.

No way to verify it but I have been told sellers wanting to return tickets have to be back in

by the morning of the drawing 8am.

Otherwise they are considered sold or being held/bought by the sellers.

Electronically scanned back into the system they probably are as all tickets carry a bar code.

I do not understand why you say they would then need to inform the National point of all unsold

numbers as they would already be scanned back into the system anyway.

I thought foreigners were not allowed to play the lottery. That is you can buy all the tickets you want

but you cannot collect if you win. At least I think I read that somewhere on this board.

Vendors buy the tickets up front from the GLO. The vendors own the tickets. There is no return of unused tickets. According to a question posed in April, this year in thePhuket Gazette and answered by an offical of the Ministry of Finance.