Mailing Christmas wrapped gifts to USA

meechai

Just wondering if anyone knows,

We have been here years & always send US based gift cards

bought on the internet to folks in the USA for Xmas.

This year I was thinking about maybe sending gifts.

But what I wondered is if sending a gift from Thailand to the USA

can I gift wrap it? Or is US customs going to trash the wrap anyway?

If so I guess it will be gift cards as usual smile.png

Anyone know?

Thanks

Edited by meechai

In my opinion, advertising it as a gift in wrapping like that is increasing temptation.

If you want to gift wrap, do it first, then place that in a plain envelope or box for mailing.

Yes I would not advertise it & it would be boxed when I take it for mailing.

My concern was more about what happens when it enters US Customs.

Do they tear the wrapping open to see what is inside?

I am guessing yes knowing how the US is.

I also remember quite a few years back receiving a package from Thailand

in the US & it had been opened & re-taped.

But I just wondered if anyone here had any recent experiences

If you use a box with a separate top you can wrap the box top separately so that it looks just grand closed but customs can inspect the contents by merely lifting up the top of the box without tearing off the gift wrap paper. This method is especially good for when you take gifts with you when flying back. I would also wrap the whole thing in plain paper for mailing as well, which they would cut open if they wanted to inspect it. This can be done by the staff of most department stores.

My experience was gift was stolen before it got out of the thai postal system, and had it stolen the other way around also sending something from US to LOS. So now I just send paypal unless it will fit in an envelope large letter size. I just got burned the other way with incoming gifts. 6 bottles of discount fragrances with free shipping from the US. Ha!! Thai customs had fun!! the valued the shipment 2 1/2 times the total cost in baht and expect me to pay cutoms and vat.. I'm in the protesting phase now and see what happens. You can have no more than 1000 baht incoming customs free. none of the gift items were over 700 baht for 5 different ladies and not for resale or p4p trade. Always learning something new in LOS.

When a friend in Thailand mailed a book to me in the USA I had to go and APPEAR in person at Customs to pick up a simple paperback book...pain in the butt to have to drive to airport, parking, stand in line, etc for a book I didn't even want to begin with...If I were you I'd order stuff off of internet USA sites and let them send them within the USA and avoid all the hassle and BS that the recipient may get from US customs.

Edited by pomchop

My experience was gift was stolen before it got out of the thai postal system, and had it stolen the other way around also sending something from US to LOS. So now I just send paypal unless it will fit in an envelope large letter size. I just got burned the other way with incoming gifts. 6 bottles of discount fragrances with free shipping from the US. Ha!! Thai customs had fun!! the valued the shipment 2 1/2 times the total cost in baht and expect me to pay cutoms and vat.. I'm in the protesting phase now and see what happens. You can have no more than 1000 baht incoming customs free. none of the gift items were over 700 baht for 5 different ladies and not for resale or p4p trade. Always learning something new in LOS.

Were the fragrances in the Thai postal system? How did they know the package contained fragrances?

My wife wants an expensive fragrance from the U.S. It sounds risky.

Actually I was only concerned about sending not receiving here in Thailand

But, since I see some questions I will add my 2 baht

I have received many packages here via USPS priority

The only ones stopped & valued for duties were the ones that were obviously

coming from a commercial source. Also as others have said over 1000 baht/$31 USD

in the valuation section of the shipping form

If you are lucky enough to have family in the US it is far better to have them send what you want

as a gift. On the value section of the international shipping form the write " Gift NCV"

That is gift no commercial value.

Never had a problem with these & USPS Priority

I think DHL/UPS/FedEx etc you get hit no matter what

Edited by meechai

Were the fragrances in the Thai postal system? How did they know the package contained fragrances?

My wife wants an expensive fragrance from the U.S. It sounds risky.

Buy it in the Airport Duty Free..................

US Customs opening up wrapped gifts is a huge maybe. However, my suggestion is to get a box and decorate the inside with Christmas wrapping paper and just putting the gifts inside (unwrapped) and tagging them for whoever is to get the gift/s. It is the customs slip that the US side will pay attention to. I also suggest that you send via Fed Ex or DHL if you can. EMS through the post office is okay... but the tracking number may or may not work once the package arrives in US hands. Remember to mark the customs slip as "gifts" and with No Commercial Value (NCV). This way you can help avoid any custom's duty.