Ymaha Dragstar, Honda Stead or Magna VF750C.

Farfetched

Currently I ride a Kawasaki Boss and have been riding it for almost 3 years. A great bike to learn on. I am ready to upgrade. I am 65 years old and heavier than I should be but not obese. I like comfort. - I like the idea of the shaft drive on the Dragstar 400, but I also know that there are many more Honda dealers around than there are Yamaha Dealers for parts. The Magna 750C intrigues me for the power as well as the reviews on it. Appears to be a real work horse. I do not take long rides for days at a time, but I do travel around 60 km per day on the highway going to and from work. What would your thoughts be on these three bikes.

Owned a Steed and a Dragstar for several years (not at the same time!) - if price isn't too much of a consideration there isn't really any comparison as the Dragstar is such a better bike in every area.

Same here. I have also owned both bikes and agree 100%. Go for the Dragstar it is a much better bike than the Steed.

Jan

Have never owned a modern Steed, or a Dragstar, but have friends that do. The Steed is a constant source of trouble, the Dragstar trouble free.

So I looked for a Dragstar, but couldn't find one cheap enough, so bought the Steed's predecessor NV400 and have been doing a fair bit of work on it. If a Dragstar came up, I would swap in an eyeblink.

Once you have had a shaft drive ( as with my NV400) you will never go back...sweet!

That CTX 700 looks really good too..

Edited by AllanB

V-Strom. Spelling correct. About 480,000 as I remember, brand new.

I somehow don't think the OP was looking to spend 1/2 a mil on a bike, hence he was asking about the older bikes.

I own a Dragstar 400 and it's a great bike, I have no issues with it, it's comfy for fairly long rides and the top speed is 140 Km/h. It's aircooled and so is much simpler engine than the Hondas. Besides - the other 2 models you mentioned are way too old, they probably stopped being manufactured a few decades ago. Mine is a 2005 and I only wish I had bought a 1100 CC version, but it's just me - I can never get enough power :D

Only just noticed the OP's "I also know that there are many more Honda dealers around than there are Yamaha Dealers for parts." Most of these bikes will be grey market imports, not brought in by main dealers, so the comparative number of "dealers" doesn't really matter - I can't imagine any Honda main dealer having much interest (or stock) in parts for Steeds.

(edited)

Once you have had a shaft drive ( as with my NV400) you will never go back...sweet!

Agreed. As well as the Dragstar I had a Guzzi, and although a shaft drive would have been out of place on the RD350 "screamer" I had thirty years ago they're the only logical answer for any touring or cruising bike.

• Like 1