Bikes for go far.

Nervosa

Thanks for these suggestions.

CBR and CB5000, actually look nice, but not for 2 peoples.

I already got a PCX. It is really good, but not for go North to South. I did Chiang Mai to Surin in PCX and it was ok..but still need a little bit more speed and it cannot go up so much and need better comfort too.

Hurt my butt alot, and it worst for the second passenger. I already changed the seat for 2 000 Baht.

I like same Phantom and Harley. But I never tried Phantom. Look nice to go for a long road, have space for luggage and the second seat look comfortable.

But i don't know if it can actually go on the big road and for long ride. I never saw people travelling far with a Phantom. Phantom look like a bike people buy more for show than for go out.

But i do see people with CBR and CB... but they were alone.

For money I not sure... I think about 200k-250k Baht. But sure I don't want to pay more than 300k. I'm not on a road trip 24 hours a day. So I don't need something more expensive than 300k.

I generally go every 3 months for 2 weeks, then come back home to work.

**I like same Phantom because my girlfriend not tall. So she cannot ride motorbike too big. But same harley and phantom, the motorbike is a little bit down. So she can touch the ground tongue.png.

I have had a Phantom for over 4 years now.

I am close to 6 ft and weight about 125kg.

Mine has taken me every where I wanted to go and a couple of years ago I made the 400 km trip from Khampaeng Phet province where I live to Bangkok and back in the same day. I started early in the morning and got back about 8 in the evening and the weather varied between a pre dawn cool to a thunderstorm on the way back and it never missed a beat. I did walk like a cowboy with no horse for a couple of days but the bike was no trouble.

It is no rocket racer but I can cruise anound at 95 to 100 all day and it has a 10 litre tank with no fuel gauge but it does have a low fuel light.

Service and spares are cheap and there are Honda agents in most big villages. Even the local Somchais can fix it. You can hang a top box and side boxes on it easily.

They are out of production nopw but good second hand ones are still around but don't pay over 50,000 baht for one and buy a farang owned from new model. Farangs understand maintainence which is a concept rarely found in Thais.

Happy biking whatever you buy.

If you can hang on a few months, get the CTX 700, when it is launched here.

it has been released already at the motor expo.

349 k thb for normal version.

a great option for cruiser lovers in Thailand.

Lets be clear on one thing. The only way you are going to get a long distance comfortable seat is to build it. In the US, there are some great custom seat shops like Rich's Seats in Seattle. With one of his seats, you can ride for 8 to 12 hours straight and never feel a thing. Thai custom seat shops in Thailand are notorious for their beautiful seats that ride like sitting on a log. Why? Because there is a science to building a proper seat and they do not understand it.

What I did was went to a seat shop that does nice work, then micromanaged the work on the substrates of the seat, doing most of the sculpting and fitting myself, finishing with a gel pad. I got a very comfortable seat out of the deal. Even a one million baht BMW has a shit seat out of the factory. I can't say there are not any, but I can say I have never experienced a decent factory seat.

Also, a good seat is not a soft seat. A good seat is one that fits your anatomy. Funny, when I took my BMW to Rich's in Seattle, I had a soft seat that felt very comfortable -- until I had been in the saddle for three hours. The Rich's seat was downright hard, but I could ride 10 hours and never feel a thing. It is amazing how much fatigue is generated by a sore butt on a long ride.

If you want to know how to build a decent seat, see the attachment. attachicon.gifDIY Seat Mod.doc

"A good seat is one that fits your anatomy."

Like this one. :D

post-111234-0-36425600-1385981096_thumb.

• Like 2

Another (biased?) vote for the CB500X. Super comfortable banana seat. Excellent range--keeping it below 120 and not dogging it has netted me over 400 kms (!). Riding with II2 dropped that down to 350 or so. Handlebars fall right into your hands. The tank shape doesn't make you wonder if you'll ever be able to procreate again. ABS is very good; it takes quite a bit to get the front to actuate and the back kicks in nicely when my ham footed approach requires it to. Riding two up is absolutely no problem; combined there is 145 kg and the 500X handles it like a champ. The dash is clearly legible in all conditions. It is very comfortable to stand up on the pegs for some light off roading riding. Visibility is great since you sit so high.

Now the bad things about it. It's bloody tall. I am average height at 5'9" (1.75m) and if I don't watch where I park it can be quite a bear tip toeing it back out...which is tied into the weight. At speed you don't feel it, but it's not the lightest bike out there. It's also quite a bit longer than the wee 250s which makes threading through BKK traffic not as easy. The tank and surrounding plastic make it difficult to mount a normal sized magnetic tank bag. The nice chunky rear grab bars makes mounting soft panniers dicey. The wider tyres deadens the sporty feeling that I'm used to from the Ninja 250R. The first 1000 or so km the gearbox is very clunky...haven't seen any other Honda that bad although it does smooth out.

I've done a couple of 1000+ km days on it and in 4 weeks of owning put over 5000 km on it...so it is definitely a bike for go far. But than again, I've done 1000+ km days on the Ninja 250R so take my discomfort acceptance level for what it is.

it was a nice and fast ride together dave.

When will you be back?

I also like cb500x a lot. I think the best value 500 series and best value big bike in Thailand right now.

can do everything you need. cheap to run too. I almost like its design as well.

I, 95 percent get 280 km per tank - 15.5 lit - though with my cbr500rbiggrin.png but others claim over 350 kms.

you cannot go wrong with a cb500x. it is also proven bike now and it creates no problems.

it was a nice and fast ride together dave.

When will you be back?

I also like cb500x a lot. I think the best value 500 series and best value big bike in Thailand right now.

can do everything you need. cheap to run too. I almost like its design as well.

I, 95 percent get 280 km per tank - 15.5 lit - though with my cbr500rbiggrin.png but others claim over 350 kms.

you cannot go wrong with a cb500x. it is also proven bike now and it creates no problems.

You ride much harder than I; faster starts and more on the brakes where I like to have a more gradual build up and slow down...definitely affects the economy.

I will be back no later than March.

Something around the 500cc mark would be good,smaller bikes would get a hard time with two people and luggage or the trade off been a lower gear ratio if so but jap brands honda yamaha etc would be more than capable only stating because you dont need to spend a whole lot of money to get there preferbly under 80,000kms on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I agree with everything that Dave Boo says about the 500 X. (I have never ridden a 250 Ninja so can't compare on that one.) I am glad somebody else mentioned the very clunky gearbox. The first thing my girlfriend said after, "How the hell do I get on it?" was, "The gearbox is very noisy".

It definitely qualifies as a "go far" bike. Smooth power delivery and comfortable seat and suspension.

p.s. try 5'5", that takes a lot of attention when backing out, particularly on uneven ground. I don't think I would get a taller bike, factoring in seat width.

Thanks everyone for these suggestions.

It gave me good ideas of what I want.

Keeway and Dragstar look really nice.

I was reading review about these little babies ; not soo expensive and they actually tell good things about it.

I"ll try to find somewhere to rent one of them.

I never buy a motorbike or car without trying for 1 or 2 weeks, sometimes 1 month.

Maybe I lose money for a month, but, at least, after that, I know if it gonna worth it.

But the CB500 is in my thought too. I talked with some CB500"s owners.

They all told me it is a good deal. I sure need to give a shot.

Any opinions on the Lifan 250 for doing a little cruising???

I think you need to explain what you call "a little cruising" to get a sensible reply IMO.

I know one guy here on the forum that have done Pattaya- Chang Mai and back on a Honda Wave so yes it should be possible to do a little cruising on a Lifan 250.

Any opinions on the Lifan 250 for doing a little cruising???

I think you need to explain what you call "a little cruising" to get a sensible reply IMO.

I know one guy here on the forum that have done Pattaya- Chang Mai and back on a Honda Wave so yes it should be possible to do a little cruising on a Lifan 250.

I've done Koh Samui to Nong Bua Daeng, Chaiyaphum Province on a Kawasaki Kasi 125 scooter so anything is possible, having said that when I got there I almost immediately bought a Keyway Superlight 200 though...