Kawasaki KLX 250 or Honda CRF250L?

Preceptor

which would be a better choice to go for? Posted Image

I had a 2011 klx 250 and it was a great bike. I never had a problem with it. It had lots of torque and was great on and off road. I went and looked at the Crf it looks alright but it didn't look as well built as the klx. So for me it would definitely be the Kawasaki

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Test ride....then you can answer your own question.

I don't feel there is an enormous difference between the two bikes, but have only had a few days/weeks on them really.

The KLX has roots back to the 90's with early 4-stroke enduro titles I am told.

It hasn't changed much over that time (just plastics and a few small details), with the exception of FI in the recent 'new generation'.

The CRF (which probably shouldn't be called a CRF as it is not a Competition Racing Four-stroke) is only a few years old.

As such, it has been designed with a more economical goal in mind.

So it is cheaper than the KLX, only has one radiator, has Separate Function front Forks (meaning spring on one side, dampener on the other).

Its looks could be argued to be more modern as it tries to resemble a 2013+ CRF450R etc...

I'd say personal preference would probably trumps all the info above anyway, so really, nothing beats taking them out for a spin and deciding for yourself!

Good luck!

I have spent several hours in the saddle of both. I can't explain why, but I found the Honda to be a much more rideable bike. Solely based on that, it's Honda for me. I don't feel there are any other great advantages to one or the other. But you will need to test ride them for yourself to see .

ridden and owned both.

crf250l rides and handles a little better/more fun both on and off road due to lower height/lower centre of gravity-- weak brakes on the front though not so fun at 130km/h when stopping on road. arguably less robust pedals when dropped-- but a few thousand baht on new folding-tip gear shift and brake pedals fix everything except the over-exposed single radiator. less clearance for v rocky trail or deeper rivers perhaps.

130,000ish new

suspension and brakes better on klx250, perhaps more top end power (once destricted) though not as torquey and fun lower down as the Honda. bit taller, feels higher. seem to last reasonably well- electrics can be a bit dodgy longer term in my experience. bit more robust for harder off road use, though reliability and service availability might not quite be as easy as a Honda. and there's the extra 20,000baht. Tho plenty second hand.

150,000ish new

which would be a better choice to go for? Posted Image

It depends on what you will be doing with the bike.

If pure trails klx is better.

If half asphalt half trails crf is better.

If only city or asphalt use with no trails, crf is better again.

Crf is a newer model, new engine, better economy and a better ride.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you will only use it in Bangkok then consider the "supermoto version , Kawasaki KLR 250. Honda also does a CRF 250M , but only one radiator (on the Honda), means that engine gets HOT both on and off road. Added the better build quality of the Kawasaki , on a design perfected over the years , and for a just a small amount more , with more equipment , it gets my vote !

Not sure that the single radiator is much of an issue on the CRF250L having done some 600 km (in a day) rides on asphalt without anything engine/radiator being particularly hotter than any other dual sport bike.

City riding 50-100km days again no heat issue from the bike, just the blazing hot sun, traffic fumes and whatnot!

But the D Tracker 250 or Honda CRM250 would certainly do the city job just as effectively. The smaller rims afford a road tire with a bit more rubber contact which is great for holding speed supermoto style through the corners and insane looking power slides (requires skill and balls), though a dirt/dual purpose tire can get you through potholes, scratchy roads and offroad much more easily and is fine on normal roads too.

I also prefer the higher seating position (more legroom too for 6ft people)with KLX or CRF's bigger rims which can also take an Enduro style 80/20 road/trail tire.

See which one you like the looks of most, sit on them all and and as previous posters mentioned rent & ride is the best way to know which suits you.

But realistically all of them Honda CRF250L/CRM250 or Kawa KLX250/D Tracker X can do the job you want just fine, so you are unlikely to be disappointed.