Shipping electronics, guitars, CDs ... part of retirement

moogradod

My mother, my Thai wife and me are going to enter Thailand with the intention of exploring the possibilities for retirement. We will have non-immigrant O or O-A visas.

We intend to get extensions based on retirement and my mother as my dependant.

When we leave we would like to take some houshold appliances and belongings with us. We would like to get it shipped in a 20" container:

1. Clothes, kitchen appliances.

2. Carpets (only 4 of them, but they may be sold prior to the relocation)

3. More than 2000 CDs/DVDs - some may be sold / given away

4. We have one big high end stereo (quite old), one AV-system (high end), a kitchen stereo (incl. subwoofer that is) and some players / Headphones / Headphone amp etc.

5. I am a (private) guitarist: I will sell some guitars, but at least 3-4 I need to bring (most probable already on the plane checked in or in the cabin)

6. Being a guitarist I have a fair amount of associated electronics (2 amps, effects etc.)

7. We need to bring a highend PC including several printers and acessories

All items are used, being between 20 years and 8 months old at the time of shipment

Exept for my personal clothes, all of the above belongs to my Thai wife. I do not mean this as a joke. I actually will not claim any rights on the items at any time. She has been living with me in Switzerland for 8 years now.

I have been researching how to go about bringing the items to Thailand in the most efficient way. There might be the possibilitiy to arrange a package with a shipment agency that will take care of the transfer door to door. The adress in Thailand is already known.

I now ask for your advice and experience

Any input is highly appreciated.

Edited by moogradod

If your Thai wife was on a paid contract outside of Thailand there is a one time exemption on certain items purchased overseas and returned to the Kingdom if it arrives within 6 months of your physical arrival

Otherwise, having a retirement visa, O-A, or O, or even an extension of stay provides you with no duty free entitlements. You may pay a lot, you may pay very little it all depends upon what custom agent is assigned to your shipment once it arrives here in Thailand. But be warned that electronic items have the highest rate of duty and the most chance of being a red flag for the whole shipment

A local agent will help facilitate the shipment but that is no guarantee of what deal they will be able to work out to lower duties with Thai Royal Customs Department

I was offered the option of pay 40,000 THB without a receipt for clearance or 80,000 THB for a receipt for clearance, and you can just guess which option I chose

If your Thai wife was on a paid contract outside of Thailand there is a one time exemption on certain items purchased overseas and returned to the Kingdom if it arrives within 6 months of your physical arrival

And if she wasnt on a paid contract ? She is a housewive, but it will be her who will take all the things home. Shipment in her name. Some of the things have been even purchased in Thailand (such as the handbag collection of my wife).

She will of course opt for a package price for door-to-door delivery and I believe that the shipment agency that she will choose will arrange that including their partners in Thailand. In fact she will not conclude a contract before she does not have a statement from them that they will.

But just lets consider the worst case: How is the value of the things determined anyway ? We dont have most of the proof of original purchases and the bills anymore. Some of the items are even not manufactured anymore. After all some of the items are quite old.

But suppose then that the electronic stuff would be valued around 50'000 US$ even under these cicumstances. What would be the worst case amount I would have to pay in this case ? And the used CDs/DVDs (some very old) - US$ 1.-- per disc ?

And if she wasnt on a paid contract ? She is a housewive, but it will be her who will take all the things home. Shipment in her name. Some of the things have been even purchased in Thailand (such as the handbag collection of my wife).

She will of course opt for a package price for door-to-door delivery and I believe that the shipment agency that she will choose will arrange that including their partners in Thailand. In fact she will not conclude a contract before she does not have a statement from them that they will.

But just lets consider the worst case: How is the value of the things determined anyway ? We dont have most of the proof of original purchases and the bills anymore. Some of the items are even not manufactured anymore. After all some of the items are quite old.

But suppose then that the electronic stuff would be valued around 50'000 US$ even under these cicumstances. What would be the worst case amount I would have to pay in this case ? And the used CDs/DVDs (some very old) - US$ 1.-- per disc ?

Chill out, you asked:

I now ask for your advice and experience

Any input is highly appreciated.

And that is what I gave you. I was not attacking your wife but explaining how the import rules work, if you don't like the answer, don't ask the question

Yes, and thank you very much for that !

I did not think you did attack my wife. From what did you conclude that ?

But sorry if I left that impression. Absolutely no intent whatsoever.

These were just additional questions - nothing more.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate that very much.

Please dont be offended - there is no reason for that.

Edited by moogradod

Prior to moving to Thailand I downloaded an mp3 ripper and ripped my entire CD collection, did the same with my DVD's all fitted nice and lightly on to a 2T hard drive, once in Thailand I bought a second HD and made a copy for sercurity. ( I carried my HD in my hand luggage while traveling)

I don't think there is much to gain buy bring cooking utensils, and as for clothes, well my western levis were to dam heavy to wear in Thai humidity and had an issue with footwear too, I ended up not wearing much of the 2 suite case I brought with me of clothes and pretty much re wardrobe.

Don't think you will need carpets unless you plan to never turn off your air con, and as for your antique Hi Fi ditch it, buy a new one when you move over or better still move with the times and get a surround sound to match your tv with an added cd/mp3 player, you can copy around 9 hrs of music to a cd disc and play pack on your new cd/mp3 player, or just record a cd from your mp3 collection.

No need for a container now.

@jimmybcool

I brought 4 guitars in, but took them as luggage one-by-one when travelling – found it more safe and no custom problems.

@OP

I moved a 20ft container from Europe to Thailand when I decided for staying on retirement extension. An earlier post had questions about this , from UK to Samui, and you can find my replies here:

– may include some useful information.

Sentimental value aside, I think OP would be better not bringing/shipping in most of the things he wants to ship in, since custom duties

will probably be very high, so high even that buying the stuff here would be cheaper in the end.

Going with post #2 and OP's reply to it, it seems he will not be able to avoid having to pay those duties.

There is another similar current thread about import duties: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685138-duty-tax-on-personal-imports/

I recommend a heavy duty voltage regulator and for 110v gear a good 2,000 watt inverter. The vacuum tube amps don't have that 60hz buzz as the 50hz is only available. But a good stable regulator and UPS backup for the synths and digital gear is a must!

Pack lots of silica gel in the cabs and cases. Loosen the strings too. Rock on!

OK........... prepare for possibly annoying G&T-infused post, but....

...surely there can't be a problem with a 20-inch container?.................20"

I'm planning to bring a 40' one and expect to pay no tax, according to Thai import regs for household effects

and

I'm planning to bring my Les Paul, Strat, two acoustic guitars and associated amps, etc. to Phuket.... as I did to South Africa seven years ago.

There should be no problem.

Look here: http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Customs%20Docs/thailand.pdf

and here: http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/

No worries, dude, if I'm correct!

wai.gif

I brought a container from UK earlier this year after reading in a shipping industry news email that Europe to Asia shipping rates were at an all time low - door to door was actually 70% of a quote from a removal firm to move the stuff from London to Edinburgh. The stuff was in a secure store, I arranged to have it loaded on the specified day (three hours allowed) and six weeks later it was in Laem Chabang, there was a bit of to and froing on the telephone between the customs agent and my little lady and a modest sum was transferred by ATM and hey presto it all arrived at the front door. Luckily I had managed to be offshore when it arrived so didn't even have to get involved with humping it inside. Now busy loading 4,000 + CD's onto a Brennan JB7 and the mu ban is chilling out to 70's progressive rock, plus I have all those irreplaceable items of stuff that one collects during a lifetime of travel back in my household.

If you can don't bother bring gear over, just buy here ....I just sent a box over 50 kgs from the uk....just bits and pieces.things that the wife wanted....mostly rubbish....uk charges £70 quid....box arrived 1 month later took me another 2 months to locate the box etc....customs and agents wanted £ 350 quid ?????? the box was full of second hand electrical equipment and clothes....the agent wanted a further £ 300 quid to deliver to my house...I told them to keep the box as it was full of rubbish...cut a long story short, got the box delivered to my door for £ 12 on an over night truck company from bkk.....you will get ripped off just pay extra to fly your guitars over on the plane,,,,the rest of your gear just bin in your own country...

I did a 20 footer 16 mo. ago from the US. Don't do electronics, the salt air ate mine up, even well wrapped. The appliances all needed voltage adapters. 110-220. My Peavey Amp was plugged in and fried by my wife. What does work are the clothes, dishes and kitchen gadgets, beds and furniture, mirrors, pictures and paintings. Bring your old wood furniture. It is duty free once only. Bicycles, tools and ladders here are poor quality. If you have a big head bring a motorbike helmet.

I got rid of thousands of records and CD's before coming and I can get them all on an IPAD now. They weigh too much to be worth it. Computers are cheap enough here and may not last the trip. I brought mine but was infested by virus because I didn't update clock in time to protect it. My printer never worked right after shipment. 1500 baht tea money when container arrives. Mover helped that. Pay for door to door. A little more costly, but worth it.

I was in a similar situation. My Thai wife and I had lived outside of Thailand for several years. When we moved here a little more than one year ago, we had one 20 foot shipping container of household items shipped. The shipment was in her name. It included four guitars, one electronic keyboard, and one medium size guitar amplifier. There were perhaps 150 to 200 cds, dvds. The moving company contracted with local movers at the origin and here in Thailand. The company here was excellent. There was some discussion about the number of guitars, but everything went very smoothly. We paid only 1,200 baht in fees. I ensured when moving that I complied with the recommendations on the Thai customs web site. We had no more than one of each type of electronic equipment, and no banned items or items that required special clearance. The one thing that did throw me off, is that prior to the move the company recommended that I not bring any fax or copier, as they would be considered office items, and not household items, and subject to an import fee that might exceed their actual worth. The shipment went through customs at Bangkok, but the company then delivered it by truck to our home. The local company here took care of everything. They came to our hotel to pick up my wife's documents, and then brought them back the next day. We never had to meet with anyone from customs. The main moving contractor was Graebel Relocations Services Worldwide, and the contractor here in Thailand that they used was Santa Fe Relocation Services. Hope this might be of some help to you.

Just a remark to musical instruments.
I had guitar amp, speaker box, Hammond organ & Leslie and a small acoustic piano/hapsichord in my container, and all arrived safe and no custom problems.

All my electric gear are European 220-240V/50Hz, for 110 volt gear you can obtain transformers locally, but that will not change frequency, so don't bring frequency dependant gear over (like an US original Hammond organ with tonewheel), eventually first have it rebuild to 220V/50Hz.

@jimmybcool
I brought 4 guitars in, but took them as luggage one-by-one when travelling – found it more safe and no custom problems.
@OP
I moved a 20ft container from Europe to Thailand when I decided for staying on retirement extension. An earlier post had questions about this , from UK to Samui, and you can find my replies here:

Thanks. My problem (theoretically since I am not yet convinced I will move there permanently) is that I would need to move about 25 guitars. Add in about8 amps and way too much to hand carry.

If I ever move I guess I'll need to dispose of most of my collection.

My (Japanese) wife has work permit, and we planned to stay for two years. We had a 20' container. I brought eight guitars. Three amps. An up market hi Fi. Three hundred CD's. Five hundred DVD's - along with all the usual house hold odds and sods. We had no problem with import duty etc.

Re packing guitars. Fill any gaps in the guitar case with bubble /wrap. Support the neck. Loosen the strings.

My (Japanese) wife has work permit, and we planned to stay for two years. We had a 20' container. I brought eight guitars. Three amps. An up market hi Fi. Three hundred CD's. Five hundred DVD's - along with all the usual house hold odds and sods. We had no problem with import duty etc.

Re packing guitars. Fill any gaps in the guitar case with bubble /wrap. Support the neck. Loosen the strings.

Someone mentioned above an issue with salt air on his amps and guitars. No issues for you? How far did you ship from?

@jimmybcool
@OP

Thanks. My problem (theoretically since I am not yet convinced I will move there permanently) is that I would need to move about 25 guitars. Add in about8 amps and way too much to hand carry.

When I prepared moving my household in 2006 I found several sites with information, unfortunately did not keep links, however may also be outdated now.
As mentioned in another post, I shipped instruments in my container, but 28 guitars and 8 amps may be over the customs limit, however as private musical instrument collection one perhaps can compare to paintings, and you can bring several paintings in (I think I had about 10).
One text says:
The term “household effects” includes any items which you would have used in your home such as furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, cutlery and any other goods such as your computers, television or cordless phone as an example. They are not normally used to produce an income but to live. Once you have a 1 year visa you are allowed to bring in your household effects into Thailand – duty free. [sic]
And about quantity:
Also note that when bringing in goods duty free that you can only bring one item of each normally. You cannot bring in 5 television sets or 4 refrigerators. The quantity that you bring into Thailand must be what would be considered reasonable for a household. If this is what they consider a change of residence from your home-country to Thailand then they will allow 2 of each items. What you need to have to show a change of residence is a letter from the Thai immigration department to show that you have a 1 year marriage visa or a 1 year retirement visa and that Thailand is now your home-country. This would allow you to bring in 2 items of each. [sic]
In you first post you mentioned about being married to a Thai – no need, you can bring your stuff in on a retirement visa extension like I did.
There is a time limit:
A retirement visa which has already been extended for 1 year then you have a period of 6 months to bring your goods in from your home country duty free. [sic]

@jimmybcool
@OP

When I prepared moving my household in 2006 I found several sites with information, unfortunately did not keep links, however may also be outdated now.
As mentioned in another post, I shipped instruments in my container, but 28 guitars and 8 amps may be over the customs limit, however as private musical instrument collection one perhaps can compare to paintings, and you can bring several paintings in (I think I had about 10).
One text says:
The term “household effects” includes any items which you would have used in your home such as furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, cutlery and any other goods such as your computers, television or cordless phone as an example. They are not normally used to produce an income but to live. Once you have a 1 year visa you are allowed to bring in your household effects into Thailand – duty free. [sic]
And about quantity:
Also note that when bringing in goods duty free that you can only bring one item of each normally. You cannot bring in 5 television sets or 4 refrigerators. The quantity that you bring into Thailand must be what would be considered reasonable for a household. If this is what they consider a change of residence from your home-country to Thailand then they will allow 2 of each items. What you need to have to show a change of residence is a letter from the Thai immigration department to show that you have a 1 year marriage visa or a 1 year retirement visa and that Thailand is now your home-country. This would allow you to bring in 2 items of each. [sic]
In you first post you mentioned about being married to a Thai – no need, you can bring your stuff in on a retirement visa extension like I did.
There is a time limit:
A retirement visa which has already been extended for 1 year then you have a period of 6 months to bring your goods in from your home country duty free. [sic]

I am not the OP. And not married to a thai. But I appreciate the info anyway. I am in process of downsizing the collection these days. It can be hard to find a buyer who will pay the realistic price of higher end guitars but it can happen. If I move there I will downsize to no more than 8 guitars and 2 amps. Just silly to have more for me.

@jimmybcool
@OP

One text says:
And about quantity:
There is a time limit:

I am not the OP. And not married to a thai. But I appreciate the info anyway. I am in process of downsizing the collection these days. It can be hard to find a buyer who will pay the realistic price of higher end guitars but it can happen. If I move there I will downsize to no more than 8 guitars and 2 amps. Just silly to have more for me.

Yes, I know – jimmybcool – I should have made it more clear, than just »no need...« and »retirment...« xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.ttYYb5Lbfu.webp

Wish you good luck with your downsize-sale guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif and retirment plans.

Thank you all.

But not bringing the items is not an option for me.

There is no visa issue. I will not even appear on the scene. My wife will bring in the items.

Concerning the "you can bring only one item each" policy: This certainly does not apply to CDs I hope smile.png . And what is considered "reasonable for one household" ? I will bring in 2 computers (one old, one new - a highend machine which I could hardly get in Thailand at all). And I have several stereos - including one surround system. 3 subwoofers. 2 guitar amps (I operate them in stereo) This is what I call reasonable for my household. No intention to set up a business with that of course. What business could that be anyway ?

The guitars wont be shipped - I cannot afford to loose them - I bring them in on the flight together with the most important interfaces, sound processors - as a collection of a reasonable number of CDs and DVDs/Blueray which are the very most important. I wonder what they will charge me for all that at the airport. All is USED Stuff. They wont take the prices if bought new I hope to calculate whatever tax. Some of the items are not produced anymore. But lets assume the worst here: Suppose I arrive at the airport with 3 guitars valued by them at US$ 6'000 and electronics valued by them at US$ 4'000 and 200 CDs and 200 DVDs all used then how much could that cost me in a worst case scenario ? In this case the visa could matter. I will arrive on either a non-immigratnt O or an O-A visa. The O is 90 days stay - extendable based on retirement, the O-A is for one year minimum.

My experience is that you cannot buy highend gear in Thailand. Even a standard Pioneer SC-LX75 AV-Receiver (around US$ 2500) cannot be found easily (if ever). The surround systems that I have seen so far there are not acceptable.

The rest that has to be shipped (I have about 150 nice shirts alone - all bought in Thailand ! - not considering the handbag collection of my wife (guess where we got the handbags smile.png )) will go in the 20' container. I have good hopes that I may make an arrangement for that, but lets consider again the worst - if for whatever reason I may not conclude a good deal - lets say they value the electronics in the container at US$ 50'000.-- and there are about 1500 CDs/DVDs - how much do you think ?

Please understand that bringing the items is part of my retirement planning. I will not make it without listening music or play guitar or process photos or have internet access. I need computers, instruments and electronics and of course the music/film media for that. Unfortunately I may not avoid that. The question is not if, but HOW I bring the items to Thailand.

jimmybcool, I understand your problem - I will myself sell some guitars - a Sadowsky Semi Hollow and an Godin LG. If you're honest with yourself you might need only one guitar per music genry you're playing. I will bring a nylon string Godin with synth access, a Breedlove Acoustic and a Peerless Imperial. And one Aria (LP style) is waiting for me in Thailand which I bought in our last holiday used for incredible 8'000 Baht.

“Concerning the "you can bring only one item each" policy: This certainly does not apply to CDs I hope.”

I believe only if you have lots of the same title, so it’s commercial stuff you may sell. I had hundreds of CD’s, DVD’s and even several cartons with reel-to-reel tapes. I believe it is two of each item, but shall be used stuff. A collection of something, like 10 paintings, was Okay for me – and you need more than one pair of underwear, may even all be of same brand and colour; else 150 shirts will cause a problem. Maybe state carton(s) as ‘Various personal clothing, used shirts’ without quantity. For electronics remember type, serial number and year stated in packing list.

“Suppose I arrive at the airport with 3 guitars valued by them at US$ 6'000 and electronics valued by them at US$ 4'000 and 200 CDs and 200 DVDs all used then how much could that cost me in a worst case scenario?”

Sounds like a lot of luggage. One or maybe two guitars per person in private luggage may not be any problem – if you are two people, I think you can just pass thru with 3 guitars. No idea how much volume your “electronics” is, but DVD’s without case (just the disc and booklet in a plastic sleeve) probably won’t look voluminous; you can buy plastic cases locally.

I did pass with a huge loaded 50+ kg cart with guitar and a big cardboard carton with electronics and PC, but wasn’t stopped for check. If you are two persons travelling together split it onto two carts.

Besides the surface shipping (container) you are also allowed one (smaller) duty free air-shipment of personal belongings, so that might be an option – and if “fragile” and well insured they might look after it so nothing happens.

“…lets say they value the electronics in the container at US$ 50'000.-- and there are about 1500 CDs/DVDs - how much do you think ?”

I stated value myself (se my previous post) including some hifi-stuff (only speakers high-end), musical instruments (tube amp, speaker box, Hammond organ, Leslie, harpsichord) and hundreds of CD’s. As said, I made a very detailed packing list, so everything was clear. Paid customs overtime (4k baht), they opened a corner of one cardboard carton (so they do work for their overtime payment), and some minor duty and vat was paid (can’t remember, but think it was around 10k for the lot).

Wish you good luck with your retirement planning.

Someone mentioned above an issue with salt air on his amps and guitars. No issues for you? How far did you ship from?

Theres a app loopy 2 or hd you can use with audio bus that lets you combine upto 4 apps at once iphone4-5,ipad,ipod 4-5 that lets you use different amp apps mixers reverb etc drum machine apps keyboard apps to loop all together with digital studio qaulity if i knew how to add link here i would but if you youtube wildfire//jenni// youll see her using it on an ipad very talented young lady just saves you money on other amps and stuff.

Edited by stedyedy

Thanks for the infos.

No problem with salt air or water. Everything will be packed and sealed in plastic. The guitars will be travelling together on the flight. 3 persons = 3 guitars. I will sell the rest beforehand.

Thanks for the advice, but iPhone apps wont do the job. A reverbation unit like the Eventide Space is more like it (etc. etc.).

I stated value myself (se my previous post) including some hifi-stuff (only speakers high-end), musical instruments (tube amp, speaker box, Hammond organ, Leslie, harpsichord)

Hammond organ, Leslie, harpsichord... That is some packing list! I was looking into the logistics of importing (personal use) guitars and audio gear and was quite discouraged about what I read (on TV mostly) about the potential disastrous pitfalls of moving expensive equipment in (and out) of Thailand. The forum searches I did in the past yielded a fair few horror stories.

Hope all goes smoothly for anyone going through with the big move.

I stated value myself (se my previous post) including some hifi-stuff (only speakers high-end), musical instruments (tube amp, speaker box, Hammond organ, Leslie, harpsichord)

Hammond organ, Leslie, harpsichord... That is some packing list! I was looking into the logistics of importing (personal use) guitars and audio gear and was quite discouraged about what I read (on TV mostly) about the potential disastrous pitfalls of moving expensive equipment in (and out) of Thailand. The forum searches I did in the past yielded a fair few horror stories.

Hope all goes smoothly for anyone going through with the big move.

Can unfortunately not contribute to the arsenal of “horror stories” – everything was fine service and done easily with my shipping of 20ft container.