Thai Transport Ministry to lower road mortality by 50% in the next 7 years

webfact

Every day we can read a laughable and improbable proposal from the government.

This was just today's ....

OTOH, maybe they can reach their goal of statistically reducing road deaths by 50%.

By simply no longer counting fatalities involving motos...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very conflicting report on number of road deaths. In March this year Vice Interior Minister Silapachai Jarukasemratana announced there were around 26,000 road deaths a year in Thailand.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

We, (Transport ministery) will use our own figure to determine our projected success, thank you

.If the transport ministry would do their job and propose some mandates for training of commercial vehicle drivers, ban modified vehicles, set and enforce insuranse requirements for all vehicles, enforece weight restriction by axel/tire count, require bonds for commercial vehicles, etc, they could take a step forward.

Then field a enforcement team of Transport personal on the roadways to check and park'impound (no option of roadside fine) those vehicles not in compliance. The fine/ticketing system is in shambles in this country, the highway police are worthless for enforcement.

This is another example of creative accounting. You have three books, one that is actual, one that is for the media which shows the goal being completed in 4 years, and the last set of books completed for the next year which shown a greater than expected reduction in traffic accidents.

The only way they will reduce traffic deaths is to get rid of every policeman and start over with training a new force about knowing the rules of the road, and enforcing the law. Have zero tolerance for taking bribes and have real fines for breaking traffic laws. Yesterday when I was riding my bike for exercise I saw 4 tour busses pass another vehicle over a double yellow line around a curve. All vehicle's coming from opposite direction had to pull off the road to allow them to pass. Also Who gave permission for tour busses to be built too high that they tip over when they make a turn too fast. Someone told the company that built these busses that it is ok. these busses did not just appear out of thin air. Thailand has a long way to go to reduce traffic deaths and Every time the government puts out a number of highway deaths it gives a different number. I looked at world highway deaths and it has Thailand # 6 at 29,000 highway deaths per year. The department of transportation must be using thai math again.

Maybe it would be enough if there was a real Driving test that people had to pass before being allowed on the roads. But yes enforcement of traffic laws is needed.

The only way they will reduce traffic deaths is to get rid of every policeman and start over with training a new force about knowing the rules of the road, and enforcing the law. Have zero tolerance for taking bribes and have real fines for breaking traffic laws. Yesterday when I was riding my bike for exercise I saw 4 tour busses pass another vehicle over a double yellow line around a curve. All vehicle's coming from opposite direction had to pull off the road to allow them to pass. Also Who gave permission for tour busses to be built too high that they tip over when they make a turn too fast. Someone told the company that built these busses that it is ok. these busses did not just appear out of thin air. Thailand has a long way to go to reduce traffic deaths and Every time the government puts out a number of highway deaths it gives a different number. I looked at world highway deaths and it has Thailand # 6 at 29,000 highway deaths per year. The department of transportation must be using thai math again.

There is a better chance for Thaksin to come to Thailand then reducing road fatalities .. it will require a re-education of an entire nation...

• Like 2

Firstly it would appear that this is just some pointless pronouncement by a minister trying to justify his position.

however it would be nice to see what measures are proposed.....there is no one simple answer, a raft of measures are required.

Thailand has beed a regular participant in the ASEAN road safety conferences and there are a lot of people who seem Knows?o know what they are doing so let's hope this and successive governments pull their finger out on this issue........it is easily achievable, but by this guy?... who k

I just had to go for a piss quickly with laughing. How many times has this been said. Pay your police forces a decent wage for starters, stop these pickup trucks with 10-15 people in the back, start a war rent of fitness with the vehicles on the road, big punishments for drink driving, proper vehicle testing for a licence, max 2 on a motor scooter, no baby's on scooters, child seats in cars and eye testing.

They will never get the road deaths down.

An easy start:- As the majority of road deaths seem to be amongst the Motorcycle Riders, then -- - -

Rule #1 Wear a proper motorcycle helmet.

Rule #2 Enforce the wearing of helmets.

Rule #3 Refer to #1 & #2 above.

A "Real" Ambulance response and "Real" trained Paramedics would also make a signicant improvement.

well for centuries people thought earth was flat .....I guess for the next 7 years they can still do the same ... I doubt he will still be in power in 7 years anyway and all this will be forgotten in no time , that is only the response of the threat of thos Russian tours group .... Let them hear what they want to hear ... a better leitmotiv for many

In stead of holding the 11th national seminar on road safety, how about making sure EVERYONE has a drivers license! A driver's license that one has to pass a REAL ROAD TEST as well as a written test. They go to the DMV, play a couple of games trying to line up two posts and then an eye test to see the yellow light come in from the side. The day I went, one girl tried at least 10 time to line up the posts, she could not do it but they passed her anyway. No wonder there are so many accidents on the roads in Thailand. But also, many on the roads don't even bother to get a license, they just get a car and think they can drive in the mayhem of Bangkok and drive as fast as they can in and out of the city.

The goal is the easy part. Coming up with a compressive plan is not a whole lot harder. What is hard is implementing

the plan and sticking to it. Especially when one parts of any plan, stopping the police from taking bribes and enforcing

road rules will cost them a lot of tea money, and vehicle maintenance and driver safety/training programs will cost

tour/ transport companies money. Needs to happen, nobody will disagree with the goals. But will a plan ever be truly

implemented or just given lip service and used to collect even more tea money.

Thais are always quick to "propose" lofty goals without ever having a clue on action steps.

Setting a "target" and hitting the target are not the same thing. It never ceases to amaze me how many people still get on the motorbike every single day all over Thailand with no helmet. It especially amazes me how many adults seem to think nothing of their kids riding with no helmets.

I often loan a motorbike to people but rule number one is if I EVER see them ride ten feet without a helmet then they are immediately and permanently barred from ever riding my bike again....and funny but every single person I have loaned to seems to understand that I am not kidding and to my knowledge wear the dam_n helmet.

Just imagine IF Thai parents actually laid down the law to their kids....no helmets...no motorbike riding. Of course maybe a bit tough to do since many of the parents also don't wear helmets. There are some things that Parents can do much more effectively than all the government proclamations in the world.

Hi

With you 100 percent with your comments...

Cheers

Don't you all realize they have almost achieved the target already.

From 26,800 (if I remember correctly) in 2012 to 14,000 in the same year is getting close to the target.

You don't actually have to have less deaths all you need to do is change the numbers.

This is the same accounting practice applied by all Govt departments.

• Like 1

When this idiot figures out how to accomplish this, then I would like for him to write a thesis on why lemmings fling themselves off cliffs, and why whales beach themselves... perhaps even explain the properties which make the proton and neutron revolve around the atom.

Reminds me of the motorcycle copper in front of us at the red light this very morning. The light turns green and he already has his mobile phone out and sits there for 10 seconds dialing, ...and then pulls out s-l-o-w-l-y with one hand on the handlebar and continues to look down at his phone whilst dialing as he crutches through the intersection. Every Thai whose face I could see is just gawping at him. No! I did not honk at him.

I truly have nothing further to add, regarding my views and thoughts on most Thais in positions of authority, which would not threaten my abilities to post here.

Lunatics all!

After seeing so many threads on the subject, seeing how worried my wife can become (lived and driven in OZ for 35 years) and wanting to test my own idea that driving in Northern LOS is not so bad, decided to do a little research. I am far from comfortable now. :(

The WHO has Thailand second worst per capita to the Dominican Republic. Wiki (which is mostly in step with WHO figures) lists only Eritrea worse.

Of the Asian countries Indonesia and PI are way safer and Malaysia surprisingly almost as bad as LOS in comparison.

Very sobering. Annoyingly the wife is way more comfortable with crazy minivan drivers, which I banned years ago - preferring to take my chances myself.

Her "rational" is that because they are Thai they are used to the mayhem. <deleted>!

No amount of traffic laws will change anything here!It all comes down to a change in attitude in the Thai people,but this will not be simple.

It will have to start in schools with the young people because it will be impossible to change the older generations.

People have to learn to become responsible for their own actions,this can be taught at school.

You show up at school on a motorbike without a license,helmet ,insurance or any other shortcoming ,you will be sent home.

Teach the children and you teach the nation,it will take time but it can and will be done.

• Like 1

It's funny because most of us Westerners and probably plenty of more sophisticated Eastern countries (Korean, Japan, Singapore, etc.) just read these silly pronouncements knowing that so much more, fundamentally is required to bring about these grandiose changes Thais perpetually talk about.

It's truly one of the hallmarks of Thai culture: talking about extraordinary changes while overlooking the deep, fundamental changes that society must undergo rather than the quick and easy fix approach that Thais regulary think they are in a position to make.

The ENTIRE system

roads - maintenance? lighting? consistency?

drivers - education, FACE, road superiority and abuse through reinforced feelings of superiority (I'm in an expensive car, so I will drive like a 'bat out of hell')

traffic engineers - u-turns on highspeed highway? overpasses that come out on the wrong side? signage?

NEEDS TO CHANGE.

They just don't get it. The rest of the world laughs silently.

Meanwhile the rest of the forum laughs loudly at your bombastic, Thai bashing comments ! cheesy.gif