Possibilities For 15,000 Euro

Should i start a business  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi folks ponder me this,

Im a young lad just out of college I have 15,000 euro (not very much i know) to start some type of business in Thailand, What can I do. Im just begining now to look into the possibilities. If i fail in the first few years or dont like it i have no probs hdin home and startin a boring career.

So here are my options as i see them, add to them and pass comment at will and any costs/returns you think will be incured.

small Bar away from main touristy area (preferred area well id love to have enough to set up a tropical murphies (Samoui) but hey give me a few years.) but then wont make money, also dont want a place with bar girls so even harder to make money!!

Internet cafe - seems really boring and no money in it.

English School? - dont know if this is a runner. But done well there is money to be made id say.

Bike rental?

Import/export business (james bond!!!)

Thanks for your advice

Hi folks ponder me this,

Im a young lad just out of college I have 15,000 euro (not very much i know) to start some type of business in Thailand, What can I do. Im just begining now to look into the possibilities. If i fail in the first few years or dont like it i have no probs hdin home and startin a boring career.

So here are my options as i see them, add to them and pass comment at will and any costs/returns you think will be incured.

small Bar away from main touristy area (preferred area well id love to have enough to set up a tropical murphies (Samoui) but hey give me a few years.) but then wont make money, also dont want a place with bar girls so even harder to make money!!

Internet cafe - seems really boring and no money in it.

English School? - dont know if this is a runner. But done well there is money to be made id say.

Bike rental?

Import/export business (james bond!!!)

Thanks for your advice

John, consider yourself ponder'd.

Sorry, but stick it out in your own country. Millions of the locals here would

swap places with you in the blink of an eye.

Thailand is a poor country and not a place to make money, just look around !

Just get yourself an education first, then a good career, and check back around 2040 :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

Common Farang Business in Thailand.. stages of development:

1. "Thailand is cool" (when coming on vacation)

2. "I want to stay in Thailand"

3. "Even living in Thailand costs a lot of money"

4. "Can I get a job here?"

5. "No job. I will start a business!"

6. "I need to make so little, for sure it will work"

7. "why is the rent so high"

8. "why is everything in thai"

9. "why is in not fun anymore"

10. "why why (whine)"

quick advice - while in Thailand, stick to stage 1 :o

I plan to retire at the end of the year.I've lived in LOS for 10 years, during this time I've thought abt doing a business, can't say what, no one is doing it, or seriously.I reckon the money could come easily and the outlay is minimal.10 years I've thought abt this and believe me it will work, if I say it half a million will be kicking themselves and doing it.The reason I haven't done it as yet is my "real"work pays to much and I've been thinking it through.However enough is enough and I'll retire Xmas and give it a go.If it fails I'll still be retired comfortably.

:o EPG

15,000 Euros? stay at home ... get some life experience ...

or come here and play ... but that's a no-go on the Biz end

come back with at least 100k USD and then open something for about 50k ... and have enough left to last until/if you make some money

You have to ask yourself what do you really want do?

1) Have a long holiday?

2) Have a business to stop you getting bored?

3) Become the next Taxin?

If you want a combination of 1) and 2)...you could try running a small bar on an Island like Koh Chang...cheap and will make a bit of money in the high season...

BUT..very quiet and WET in the low season...Quiet as in no customers for nights on end...

Personally, with 10 grand sterling I'd go for the long holiday, (being careful, you could easy last a year) which will also help you learn some thai language skills, some more about Thailand...and you might even find where you'd like to live in the future... :D

If you want 3)...Stay at home.. work you b******s for a few years...and try again with some serious money...

Good luck... :o

thanks for the pondering folks

im getting the message too little too soon.

I suppose il go back to plan A get a job with big multinational serve some time then get sent to asia it will probably end up being singapore or hong kong but yu never know i might get lucky :o

thanks for the pondering folks

im getting the message too little too soon.

I suppose il go back to plan A get a job with big multinational serve some time then get sent to asia it will probably end up being singapore or hong kong but yu never know i might get lucky :D

Sensible...but what about a 6 months holiday??? Might get Thailand out your system...Or make it worse :D

I just thank god I didn't come to Thailand in my early 20's :o

If I were that young....21-22 yo....and had an inkling that I might want to settle in Thailand, I would do some internet research on a site such as this and take my funds and move there as an experimental phase in my life. If you plan it, you could probably last easily a year if you aren't blowing your dosh on hookers and booze regularly. At the end....you either have better focus or you are still a kid and can go back home to start the "western model" of growing up (ie: work for 30-plus years in a job that you will hate later if not initially...hope you have a pension and savings and try to enjoy what is left of your life when you leave). When I was your age, Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet so desimmination of information wasn't so easy. If only I knew then what I know now.