My wife's brother's driving is driving me 'round the bend

RikDao

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are considering driving in Thailand some tips about travelling on the roads here.

1. Never indicate - this will give away your next move. A real Thai driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, this space will be filled by at least 2 taxis and a mini bus, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will only result in you being rear-ended.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving you a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left. It's a good way to check if the people entering the highway are awake.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a guideline. They are especially not applicable in Thailand during rush hour. That's why it's called 'rush hour'

8. Just because you're in the right lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a Thai driver flashing his lights behind you doesn't think he can go faster if he is in your spot.

9. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. Never stop to help - you might be mugged.

10. Learn to swerve abruptly. Thailand is the home of the high-speed slalom driving thanks to the government, They put big holes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keeps them on their toes.

11. Always honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light turns green. This prevents birds from building nests on top of the traffic light and from leaving droppings on your car.

12. Remember that the goal of every Thai driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

13. On average, at least four cars can go through an intersection after the light has turned red. It's people not adhering to this basic principle that causes the big traffic jams during rush hour.

14. The reason that many Thais travel at 95 MPH is simply because their car won't do 100 MPH.

15. Never wear a motorcycle helmet on the head. That is what the basket in front is for.

16. No vehicle of any type can be overloaded.

17. Do not tie down loads of steel or anything else, that's what the people sitting on top of it are for.

18. I have blown my horn or flashed my lights so I have right of way no matter what.

19. When you park your motor bike, always park it as close as possible to another one, even though there are no other bikes in the parking area.

20. If you are stopped in the middle of the road indicating you are about to turn right, it is ok to overtake you on your right because you are not yet moving .

21. Always obey the policeman who is directing traffic at school entries because four 9 yr old kids with no helmets on one motorbike have right of way.

I drove for a year on a British driving licence, no problem. There should however be no difficulty in you obtaining a Thai licence. Go to immigration for a set letter, then to a clinic for a medical certificate ( 5 minutes and they only take your blood pressure. ) With your wife take these to your local office with your passport and your home country licence, you'll be there about an hour. Take the simple practical test in the office and you will have licences for both car and motor bike. Then get your own transport and drive yourself. Your brother in law can join you whilst you're driving, BUT DON'T LET HIM DRIVE.

Why do you need to take your wife? Is it like a joint licence?

Can single people get a Thai licence?

SC

Why not! of course you can.

Having driven HGV's in England and Australia for a living, i have the habit of driving in the left lane or left side of the lane except when overtaking. My Thai partner, although generally quite a good driver, gives me hell because i am not in the middle or right side of the lane, apparently her dad told her that she had to stay close to the centre in case of dogs or buffaloes. cheesy.gif

You have come from a country in the west that is literally a couple hundred years ahead of Thailand in many areas.

Don't let any shiny malls and their thin veneer of modernity fool you. They ('educated' and uneducated alike) are generally (not all but most in my many years here) as backward and unsophisticated as anywhere else in the world.

If you approach all interactions with Thais from this perspective, you'll always be prepared for the their general lack of sense.

In my experience it seems a fraction of 1% of society is at a Japan functional level. I have thai friends like this and they are perpetually pissed off at dealing with their own society. One such friend did a masters in UK then works for a major thai company and comments how even some colleagues that got a trophy masters in Oz simply don't learn.

The people are basically not bad but the education system and culture does not lend itself to critical thinking / learning/ connecting the dots.

Just be careful those Thai driving habits don't rub of on you. I have seen plenty of Farang whose driving skills

and understanding of the rules of the road have definitely eroded.

It's not her brother...

Glad to see there are others out there as cynical as this poor soul. There are depths of distrust that are positively unhealthy, but I am glad to be numbered amongst the bearers thereof :) So many times I,ve told someone that the "driver" was his wife,s husband, and so many times it turned out to be the case :(

You do not need a Thai driving licence right away, you can use your own and you should have gotten your self an international one. Next time out with him ask if you can drive and show him,not that he takes any notice he will stick to his old ways.

Please note: I'm not English, OK, so that's why I put that little apostrophe next to "round" in the title, OK?

Being English, this has really annoyed me. So much so, that I've forgotten what the thread was about.

Dear, we Americans, as you know, take great pride in our (OK, your) language and make every attempt to speak and write it correctly, thank you very much.

Thankfully it's a simple enough language that even Americans can make a fist of it and, given a good run up, can almost be understood ;)

Anyway, that was a great post. Made me chuckle.

I always drive myself, either that or I'm on a bus trying to sleep and not think about how we all might die!

The only time the relatives are driving with me on board is on the E-Dten, it only goes about 5km/hour and anyone with any sense just goes around it. Either that or they would bounce off it into the gutter :)

Please note: I'm not English, OK, so that's why I put that little apostrophe next to "round" in the title, OK?

Being English, this has really annoyed me. So much so, that I've forgotten what the thread was about.

Dear, we Americans, as you know, take great pride in our (OK, your) language and make every attempt to speak and write it correctly, thank you very much.

Thankfully it's a simple enough language that even Americans can make a fist of it and, given a good run up, can almost be understood ;)

Anyway, that was a great post. Made me chuckle.

I always drive myself, either that or I'm on a bus trying to sleep and not think about how we all might die!

The only time the relatives are driving with me on board is on the E-Dten, it only goes about 5km/hour and anyone with any sense just goes around it. Either that or they would bounce off it into the gutter :)

I find my soles quite worn out by excessive walking.

I always thought you was quite a soulful 'ole sac.

Now you're telling me your sole-less?

You say slow slow ... I say run run ...

As far as possible I stick to British brand shoes, which seem to have more sole.

Though my current workshoes I bought in a soulless place in Pittsburgh.

My wife complained about her brother's driving, but he's got badges an certificates for it; I thought he was just fine, but it's a long time since I've had a lift from him.

SC

Thankfully it's a simple enough language that even Americans can make a fist of it and, given a good run up, can almost be understood wink.png

Hahahahah! FINALLY a humo(u)rous bloody response! "Humourous?" Honestly, it just doesn't look right.

As far as your comment, you're right, even Americans can almost speak it.

This beautiful little road, assuming it actually shows up on my post, is near where I live in beautiful Thailand.

• Like 1