Daughter's Thai Passport has name spelled incorrectly

My family is going to the US in just over a week. In checking all the travel documents, I have noticed a discrepancy in the spelling of my daughter's first name. Her US passport is correct and matches the airline ticket, however her Thai passport has an extra character.

Is this going to cause problems for us? Under normal circumstances, I would simply go down to Government Complex and get the issue corrected, but I don't know if this is going to be possible right now due to the protests.

I have heard there is a temporary facility in Bang Na that we can try, but even if we try that I have a few questions:

1. If I go on Monday, can they get us a new passport by Friday, given the holiday on Thursday and the closure of the Chaeng Wattana complex?

2. Will this center even be open on Monday, given the calls for all state employees to boycott work?

3. If it will be open, does anyone know where it is and what time it opens?

If my attempts to correct the problem fail, can anyone recommend a course of action?

Edited by feralfarang

I went to bang na last tuesday for daughters passport, no problem at all very efficent all done in 30 mins. Passport came yesterday via ems. Not sure about it being temp as I used this two years ago for wifes passport, we collected that ourselves 2 days later. The office however has moved from the basement to the 5th floor.

The office is located at Central Bang Na plaza. The plaza does not open until 10am but the passport office opens 8.30 so you have to go through the carpark on the left of the plaza to the lifts. Plenty of security to show you the way

Good luck

Edited by williewolf

They will look at the passport the ticket was issued on, those names much match.

In The US you will also have to show the Thai passport to the airline to confirm she doesn't need a visa for Thailand. But such misspelling are not that uncommon and she should be al right, especially if a minor. You could email the airline, so you have their reply in writing.

Yes, BKK even has 3 passport offices. Cheang wattana is best avoided right now, but nobody can predict the situation on Monday.

It is in the big shopping hall in Bangna. opens 8:30. There is also an office in Pinklao.

Passport Division
Tel : 0-2981-7257-60 Fax : 0-2981-7256 Email : [email protected]

Thai passport issuing is totally efficient. Cannot see you will have a problem. She can exit Thailand on her Thai Passport..presumably she has an entry stamp? and a TM from the last visit? The airline should only be interested that she has a US passport and that the ticket and US passport match so she can enter the US. You would not need to present the Thai Passport to the airline. On return you will need the Thai Passport at immigration. I have never had to show both passports to the airline, and again ...... My guess is no-one will notice..but I understand you want to cover all bases. Maybe nip down to Bangna if you have the time?

This happened to my wife in 2004 when she received her first passport at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

After she pointed out the error to the same folks who issued the passport, they added an Endorsement stamp on page 4 that amended the English spelling of her name. This stamp was dated two days later than the passport issue date; took maybe two hours.

My wifes Thai passport had her last name spelled wrong. We went to the Thai Foreign ministry and for a nominal fee

They changed it.

When we got to the Airport, they were checking papers, the airline was telling the officials they needed to take off and we went onto

The plane.

Before we got to SFO I realized that my wifes birthday was also wrong on her Passport. The Immigration officials

Never looked and just stamped her passport.

This was before 9-11 so they are much more picky now. If you can't get it fixed, just tell them the truth.

ChuLai 6768

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

Just to complete this topic, this morning I went down to Bang Na to try and correct the spelling. The office was easy to find and well marked. I arrived at 7:45 am. There were already more than 60 people in front of me. Apparently, you have to get there really early if you don't want to wait. Still, they had 20 stations operating, and the wait to see someone was less than an hour after the doors opened.

When I explained the problem, the officer stated it was not possible to make an endorsement for a corrected name, and that we would have to apply for a new passport. Ordinarily this would not be a problem, however they were telling everyone today that while normal processing time for a passport was 2 days, in the current environment they could not guarantee when the application would be complete. Apparently, they need to send everything to Chaeng Wattana, and the applications will only be processed once that facility reopens.

We were allowed to keep the old passport, and given a telephone number to call to check on the availability of the new one. They told us that once we came to pick up the new passport, they would cancel the old one at that time.

Still, there is little anyone can do right now except wait for Government Complex to reopen. Until then, there is not much point in going to Bang Na, as they can't actually do anything except for accept your application and tell you to wait.

I am now going to attempt to contact the airline and find out what their policy is in this case. I will be very disappointed if my entire family vacation must be cancelled due to the ongoing civil disturbances.

Does anyone know if we can apply to have the passport corrected at the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles?

My wife's first name is incorrect in her passport for 10 years now. One character is wrong which makes her first name a mans rather than a woman's. Never had a problem as long as we booked air tickets with the same spelling as is on her passport. She never even bothered to have it corrected upon renewal.

My 21 year old daughter has a Thai name on the Thai passport. The USA passport has a complete different name english style. We have never had a problem at all. One letter different should be no issue.

Sorry to say you should have checked that at the time the passport was issued, just as you should always check your stamps before you walk away from immigration and your change from 7/11 before you leave....

While applying for child passports @ Surratthani earlier this year we took our children's British passports & ensured they were mirrored. Staff also went out of their way to ensure both parents were happy with spelling & birth details in both languages. I was very impressed with the service.

HTH

My Thai passport contains an entire middle extra name in comparison to my Australian passport.

My mothers Thai passport uses an entirlely different surname in comparison to her Australian passport.

One letter?

You'll be absolutely fine.

Have a good holiday.

Edited by samran