Nakorn Ping Hospital puts hold on Health Insurance for non-migrant worker foreigners

NancyL

Very interesting --- and thoughtful --- post, Mimi. It is really worth reflecting on the consequences of international mobility and individual responsibility. It doesn't belong here on this thread which should indeed be devoted to those so narrowly focused on one hospital. What can you do about that, now that you have joined in?

PS Ram isn't the only hospital where fees have increased! Some, around Chiang Mai, have been keeping pace or more! But this thread isn't about that, either!

Well, there's always Honduras!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by two of my friends that signed up yesterday that they were told there would be no coverage under this plan for injuries sustained in a motorbike or car accident ... Anyone else heard this ????

If you are driving illegally (i.e. no drivers license and no compulsory government insurance), and you are at fault, then even Thais aren't covered. However, if you are a victim and were walking across the street legally and were hit by a car then I am quite sure you would be covered.

At Nakorn Ping hospital enrolles are tested for syphilis, elephantiasis, leprosy, TB and illegal drug use -- the same conditions listed on the medical screening needed when applying for an O-A visa in your home country. Admittedly, the choice of tests doesn't make much sense and the head of CM MOPH said as much. He would like to see everyone, migrant laborer and resident expats tested for HIV. There was some talk of doing a blood sugar and cholesterol screen for people over a certain age but that never got off the ground. At Nakorn Ping they don't even do a BP or body temp check upon enrollment, but they do each time to go to seek treatment.

Edited by NancyL

At San Kamphaeng hospital, they tested my blood pressure & x-rayed my chest. When I asked about blood tests, the reply was "that was for migrant workers (Burmese)". I guess a westerner with his Thai wife doesn't have all those nasty diseases.....

I was told by two of my friends that signed up yesterday that they were told there would be no coverage under this plan for injuries sustained in a motorbike or car accident ... Anyone else heard this ????

If you are driving illegally (i.e. no drivers license and no compulsory government insurance), and you are at fault, then even Thais aren't covered. However, if you are a victim and were walking across the street legally and were hit by a car then I am quite sure you would be covered.

You are not covered by this plan only by the compulsory 3rd party.