[Cambodia] Young people spread their voices for human rights day

News_Editor

Mao Socha, 28, official at Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training: “I think Cambodians and people around the world will continue to serve human rights with transparency. It is a day to celebrate. To push the human rights situation to become better, every country should review everything they have done. This requires the participation of the government plus local and international NGOs. The day will be a part of the growing importance the human rights situation has on the transition toward a strong democracy for Cambodia. â€

Phoeun Marady, 21, fourth-year student at Institute of Foreign Languages: “I hope that we can celebrate the day worldwide – not only in Phnom Penh. When people understand their rights, they know how to use and enforce them correctly.â€

Mam Kim Eng, 24, medical student at University of Health Sciences: “The day will remind people to look back at what they have done. The rich, the poor, the powerful and the weak – they all have the same rights. I want to see people help people; I want a helpful culture in Cambodian society.â€

You Sotheary, 23, staff member at Cambodian Women Oral History Project: “I hope that my workplace and my village will become a valuable and peaceful community where everyone respects each other. I expect to have a society without impunity. I think to be like that everyone in society needs to work hard in the same spirit.â€

Soy Rathana, 23, junior international relations student at University of Cambodia: “My observation is that the human rights situation in Cambodia is walking in the right direction. Being a Cambodian youth, I think that Human Rights Day is an opportunity to celebrate the hard work done for human rights. It is good for Cambodia because our country is a democratic state. I believe that it is a great chance for the government and citizens to appreciate the work done on human rights.â€

no-show

View the full article